Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thinking of buying a new cage for Rocky and the consequences.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Thinking of buying a new cage for Rocky and the consequences.

Hi,
    The last time I posted on this forum I got some great advise, thank you. I have had my little Rocky Balbudgie for about 15 months and I brought him home when he was approximately 13 weeks old. Despite my best efforts to coax him out of his cage he still is being a stubborn little thing. I have been told that he is what you call a Velcro Bird where quite frankly he loves his cage too much. He isn't frightened of us or to be out of his cage and once out sometimes he is happy to play for about ten minutes then flies back in, but most of the time he flies straight back into his cage at the first opportunity. I am considering changing his cage, at present he is in as Hagen Vision Cage Medium size. I am considering either the Rainforest Puerto Rica cage or the Rainforest Costa Rica cage, but I am leaning towards the first one.

Before I make that leap I do need to think of the consequences as Rocky Balbudgie may not live up to his name and may freak out in a new environment, which is what I want to avoid. Obviously he will have his favourite toys but what is the best way to make that transition is it going to be traumatic for him? And if I do go ahead and make the choice will he be ok in the Puerto Rica Cage? It would be nice to get peoples opinion on it and if not suitable what would be best cage for him.

Thank you once again, I am new to owning Budgies Rocky is my first Budgie, I do know that if I get another Budgie that would help, but I'm not allowed, my other half he has an opinion on that and its a big fat no.

Kind Regards
    Jane

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

Re: Thinking of buying a new cage for Rocky and the consequences.

Hi, Jane! Welcome back! We all can use an extra cage for emergencies. So if you wish to, get the new cage. See what happens. You can always put him back in the original cage he loved, if it does not work out. I would watch him carefully for any signs of not adjusting well, and not continue with the new cage too long, because budgies and other birds have a happiness level that we always want to consider, and not allow them to become unhappy campers. Their emotions are fine tuned, much like two year old children. It is their welfare that is most important.

We have a member here who has posted here for along time. They say a cage for birds, is their "home". Like us, who love our home, so do birds. In my view, you are so fortunate Rocky loves his home now. My budgie Muffin has been in the same cage for seven years...since the day I got him. He was very shy as well. His cage, all those years, is his solace. I know moving him would cause him to be sad. He now is blind, but can still navigate his cage. Birds are very intelligent, and like us, know what they like and dislike.

We will watch for updates!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi Ellen,
    Thank you so much and your advise and it has got me thinking. I know Rocky loves his cage, and why wouldn't he I suppose it would be like me moving from a lovely large mansion to a hut, I kind of feel mean now apart and I'm not too sure as to how he would take to downsizing to a smaller cage. The reason for getting a small cage is to hope it would entice him to come out of his cage and he would have a better door, maybe its selfish of me. I was comparing the Puerto Rica Cage and the size is very similar but larger width wide, which would be too big for the area as to where I keep him. At the moment im looking after my friends Budgie, Bertie Bubble, while she is on holiday. She rescued him from someone who couldn't look after him and he is housed in a Costa Rica cage and it doesn't look too bad as much as I would love to try it, I may just ponder on it a bit longer, run it by my other half.
    Many thanks
    Jane xxxxx

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

I hope my post was not too forceful, and I apologize if I seemed stern. Forums are for opinions, and it is always the decision of the bird owner to decide what is best for their birds. We always can try different things. It never hurts to do so, and an extra cage or two is a good investment.

Do keep us updated. Who knows....maybe a new cage will bring Rocky to an even better life!! He is young as yet, and that is a plus!!

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

One thing to remember when buying a new cage for your bird, is to buy a safe cage. A cage the bird will not get caught on something in the cage. Leg bands that are put on budgies are what make it more needed to only buy safe bird cages that will not injure then.

Remove Ads