Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Throwing up

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Throwing up

Basically, my budgie joey just started throwing up a clear watery substance all over. It got in his feathers and all sorts. Ive seen this happen before and I'm pretty sure that it's happened times before that so I'm really concerned. I'm unsure of what to do. My mum saw ir happen for the first time but my dad still refuses to believe it's sick because he doesn't want to pay for a vet. Can anyone help. I'll try to get him to a vet but is there anything I can do for him now. BTW I've seperated both budgies so I hope that helps.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Throwing up

This really does sound like he is throwing up and truthfully the only real help is taking him to a vet. Keeping the separate is a good idea since whatever it is could be contagious to your other bird. Without a doubt this is making you very nervous and I do hope your parents will take him to the vets for a checkup. Most illnesses are easy to treat with something as simple as Baytril a common antibiotic used for birds. If it is not treated there is a chance he could get better on his own but honestly he may not. The longer you wait the harder it is to treat but sometimes it does make it more easier to figure out what is wrong. Did you see him throwing up? If so was he shaking his head frantically spreading the liquid all over himself? That is a classic sign he is sick and actually throwing up.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah when he threw up he was shaking his head and spraying it everywhere, I got some in me. I actually found out that organic apple cider vinegar (or something like that) can help if I put it in water. I also heard from my nanna who looks after animals that seeing the vet is cheaper than I thought. Getting the treatment is expensive but if I can get a professional to tell my parents he's sick I think ill be good.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yes, they can have a little apple cider vinegar in water but just a few drops of it in the water cup and do not leave in the cage for long. It helps for sour tummy and crop but sometimes it makes it worse. It actually hurt Boomer when he was sick so I didnt give it to him. But Boomer had ulcers in his crop from a Avian Gastric Yeast infection. Just seeing a vet isnt horribly expensive but having tests ran is crazy expensive. But sometimes it is a quick fix and a little medicine and your bird will be just fine. Budgies are prone to have Avian Gastric Yeast (AGY). My girlfriend who is a foster for a big bird rescue here takes in Budgies who people gave up and it least 50% of them have AGY. Its easy to treat if caught early and actually pretty easy to diagnose as well. But they also get sick from other things and usually Baytril takes care of the other things.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I have had budgies for years, and thankfully never had AGY illness in them. Many folks put a few drops of apple cider in the water cup every day. If you see him vomiting again, in my view, you need to timely call the avian vet!

Remove Ads