Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Cockatiel help behaviour

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

New Cockatiel help behaviour

Hi I got a cockatiel in April. The owner didnít want him any more and the poor little boy was in a tiny round cage with no interaction. His wings where grazed where he had gone around and around the bars. He is now in a large cage, he has plenty of toys, natural perches to chew, lots of room to spread his wings and multi levels. When we first got him he didnít know how to play but slowly he is learning. I had cockatiels as a child and never experienced the difficulty that Iím having with Olly for trying to tame him. I understand he has basically been dumped for the first 18 months of his life so itís going to be a long process. I make sure my hand is in the cage each day to get him used to it and not see it as a threat, he loves millet seed so Iíve tried holding the millet while he pecks at it, this only works maybe once a week. Iíve tried letting his door open and put a permanent perch on the outside, at times he will come out and stand on it but flees every time I go near him. Does anyone have any other ideas I could try? I would love for either him to be my friend or to get a bird friend for him eventually but Iím scared they wouldnít get on and I do not have the room for two permanent cages as his one is huge already 🙈 I just donít want him to be lonely. I am at home all day due to ill health so itís not like he is ever left alone except for night time and appointments. I talk to him regularly, he basically is my go to ďpersonĒ to talk to now. Thanks in advance

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New Cockatiel help behaviour

Welcome to the forum! Birds make the best companions when you are at home all day and I think in time your boy will become you friend. They are independent and want to do there bird thing most of the day but they will eventually come to you for it least to sleep on you. I was a stay at home mom who worked from home and silly Boomer was attached to my shoulder most of the day. He gave me "someone" to talk to instead of being silent with no one to talk to. It is sad Olly was stuck in a cage for so long but it is great you came into his life and soon he should become a little social bird to you. Holding the millet is a great thing to do and he should start to be less afraid and come to you hand easier. Watch him eat his seed mix you put in his bowls and watch to see which seeds he picks out of the bowl first and those will be his favorite seed to use a treat to try to bribe him. Boomer and even Tikki now love safflower seeds and Tikki will do tricks for safflowers happily to get that seed. Your right getting him a friend to be with will make him become friends with the new bird and not you. If I were you I would hold off on a new bird friend and give him time to become your friend first. Talk to him constantly so he gets use to your voice and the idea that a human actually is paying attention to him. Sit by his cage as much as you can so he gets use to you and always talk. Offer him little bites of food you are eating, even if it is just dropping it in his food or treat cup. Time is everything and in time all birds do get use to you being around and become friends with you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 1,229 Posts

Re: New Cockatiel help behaviour

I admire you completely for taking this precious bird into your home. In my view, you are doing everything 100% correctly. A bird who has been in such an unacceptable home environmernt as Olly was, is bound to need extra time to get used to you and his new home. It will take lots of patience, and love to bring him to being unafraid of you, but rest assured that day will come. Talk to him all the time. Tell him he is a good boy, and I love you so much, over and over again through the day. It is great you can be with him everyday, all day. Play music on a CD or radio. My birds love classical and Latin music. Keep up with the millet exercise. Allow him to eat millet off the top of the sprig and keep praising him. One day, when he is less afraid of you, encourage him to step up on your finger, Gently press your finger right above his feet into his tummy area, and say...step up....step up. And when he does so, again praise him, and let him eat more millet off the sprig. Millet is loved by most all parrots, and is used often for training and treats.

Time and patience are on your side. Sometimes they will not be as trusting as others. Sadly, there are many little birds that are not treated like they should be treated, and loved.

Birds know and feel our love, and it will make their lives and our lives rewarding. You also can go to YouTube and search for training cockatiels. You might find something there that will be of help to you.

We will welcome your updates anytime! For sure, Olly has a wonderful and loving birdy mom now!!!! That is awesome!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-15-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Remove Ads