Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Cockatiel foot injury, please help!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Unhappy Cockatiel foot injury, please help!

Hello

My 2.5 month cockatiel just injured its foot. Or should I say I injured it. I went out of the room and he flew on the door. I didn't check where he was before closing it and unfortunately he didn't fly off. His foot got stuck into the door but gladly in a crack in the door so while I still managed to injure the foot it is still intact. It's pretty purple right now. He regained some energy and can move it again. He walks on it, jumps around. Has more and more control over it everytime i check on him. It all happened maybe 15 minutes ago. Should I do something about it or will it heal? I should also say that he has 2 cuts on his foot. Not big cuts and they're not bleeding but it looks like a little of the top layer got off. The foot looks normal. Not deformed or anything. It's a bit swollen and as I've stated before purpleish.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Cockatiel foot injury, please help!

I am no foot expert at all and without looking at it the purple is a little scary but if he is still hopping, walking and standing on it that is a very good thing. If it were me I would definitely clean it up with a little Dawn dish soap and water just to make sure the cuts are clean and then keep a close eye on it. You could put his foot in a small bowl of water with a little dawn and soak it in there and gently rub the foot to clean it up and then rinse his foot off. He is not going to be pleased but it needs to be cleaned up. Watch him carefully and if it shows signs of infection (heat coming off of it, or pus) bring him to a vet to have it looked at. Accidents happen and I cannot even begin to tell you about the injuries Boomer had when he was alive. Mostly my daughter who was very young smashing him in drawers or worse sitting on him but these things happen and they are pretty tough birds. Boomer never got cut or bled and that is a little concerning but if you clean it up it should be OK. Feel it for warmth often and if it is hotter then his other foot and leg a infection is setting in and he needs a vet right away.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

thank you for replying. I think the injured foot is a little warmer but it might just be me. I don't know whether to be concerned yet or not. The cuts are small. See for yourself.
    I do not have any dawn dish soap. Can I use regural soap instead? T

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

I've tired to call a vet but 99% of them are not aviable at my countries hours right now and the one clinic that I've actually managed to call disconnected it after I've stated my problem. No word, no nothing. And it's like 4-5 star rated. This just represents my pure hate towards my nation. I have cleaned his foot tap water, held him on my hand and just rubbed it a little. I don't know what to do. I am really worried for him. If anyone has any suggestions what should my next move be please tell me. I really love my cockatiel and I don't want him to lose a foot lose him. It's such a shame that I closed the door in that exact moment. I really hate myself for that.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It looks way better then I was thinking so that is good. I do see the purple on it but even that isn't too bad. I think he will be OK. The cuts do not look to be very open so honestly you already cleaned it up so that should be just fine. Most vets here will not help over the phone either. I hated it when our bird got hurt her as well and usually rushed him off to the vets when he got hurt just to be careful and he was just fine. It is bruised and hopefully does not get worse. Keep a good close eye on it and if it turns darker or he stops using that leg to stand on or walk on it he does need to go see a vet once they open up.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 1,253 Posts

Cockatiels have feet that are made up of a lot of cartlidge and skin. I think you lucked out this time, because I do not see any toes or any deformity in them, and he still can put weight on the foot which is a real positive. Do feel the foot on occasion to be sure it is not cold, which would signal poor circulation, or very hot and or swelled which would indicate possible infection.

Please post updates at your convenience. And forgive yourself, because they are super fast, and can get into a problem such as this now and then. Thankfully. He did not fly out the door!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Thank You both so much for replying!

I already see him walking on the walls of his cage. He just keeps playing no matter what. I don't know how tough that bird is. I will continue to monitor him everyday.
    I also wanted to mention Boomer, I'll admit, didn't really pay any attention to anything rather than my bird before. I was panicking. He must've been a great bird. Lets just hope he's happy wherever he is now
    Again, thank You so much. I was going to experience sleep deprivation thinking of my bird and how much I regret doing all that. Now I am sure that he will be alright.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    rito
    Thanks

Hello again

He is doing better and uses it more yet he still struggles to walk. When sitting on a perch he keeps the foot up at most times. He wont really close it up or grip he just simply supports himself on it. It keeps the same color and i clean it as much as i can before he flies off with tap water. Tommorow I will call a vet and see what could i do to help him.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 1,253 Posts

It takes some time for foot injuries to heal, so it is normal he is holding the foot high. But for safety sake, a vet visit is appropriate. We will welcome updates.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree it does take time for injuries to heal. Boomer hurt his foot a few times and it took days before he fully could use it again. But it is always good to take them in for a vet visit to assure you that they really are OK and did not break it. Honestly if he did break it he would not be using it at all so him using it is a great sign it isnt broken.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Sounds like a minor accident. The bird seems he will recover ok. You are worried about what happened. which means you will be more careful now. Overall, appears all is going to be all right with you and your bird.

Remove Ads