where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: needing help with budgie

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: needing help with budgie

Oh I forgot to double check, I asked in a past post, but it might have been missed, because my posts are too long all the time lol.

does lutino and albino mean the same thing? Is tweety an albino budgie? I did research the other day and saw images of healthy albino budgies and all of them had the white patches on each cheek, just like tweety has. That actually used to worry me, the white, but now I am thinking it is a part of her mutation.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor Tweety. I really do feel bad he thinks it is a head concussion but hopefully in time her head will feel better. Boomer hit his head a few times and had to have gotten a concussion because right after he hit it he threw up a few times and seeds went flying. We kept him nice and warm and tried to be really calm around him and he always got better. Sadly it was Carissa our daughter who did it to him. Once she had him on her shoulder and plopped down on the floor and Boomer jumped down off her shoulder right when she sat, she sat on his head! He threw up and felt awful for a few hours but thankfully got better. The other time he jumped into a drawer Carissa (yes again!) was closing and boomers head got hit. But once again he bounced right back in a few hours. They are truly such strong birds and it sounds like Tweety really got hit hard. I feel bad for him and hopefully it doesn't hurt him. I too would be worried about bringing him inside with your flock but it actually might help him get better with other birds to cheep talk with. I hope he recovers fast so he can get a new mate to have in his cage to keep him company or who knows he may just get along good with your lovebirds.

I am happy you found this new vet and now if something happens with your flock it least you know you have a good vet around. Its comforting to know you have a good vet when you need one and if he knows lots maybe the other vets that work with him know more then you think about birds as well.

And yes I do love having UC Davis here for us and our animals we have. The vets also treated my daughters tortoise but sadly little Kerma died when a friends dog attacked her and the vets had to put her to sleep because she was just too hurt to save.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I hope she will get better in time too. Tweety has apparently regurgitated from time to time too, and this wasn't addressed so if Boomer threw up after his head injury as well, then this would make sense for Tweety too. Poor little Boomer hitting his little head! He must have jumped right at the wrong moment and being so quick, it must have happened so fast! I am so glad he was able to recover from those injuries though.

The vet isn't new, we have been to him before, he's the first vet we ever tried 2.5 years ago for Asha and her flight feather. I, personally, think he is the best one locally for birds at least, even without certification. On the website it stated his master's degree included study of small animals and birds. And when comparing to other vets, he seems to have the most knowledge. He is the one that performed Kara's autopsy too, no one else locally can perform bird autopsies, the other clinics would send them to his clinic because its the local animal hospital, the rest are all just clinics. He probably could be avian certified with a bit of extra study. I don't know why, but my partner prefers to always try the other vet first, probably because its cheaper. But its only cheaper when we see one vet at that clinic and he's always booked out with dog and cat owners and while his knowledge on birds has improved (he did help our Nico last year), I still think yesterday's vet is better. He can be pricier and it can cost $70 sometimes for a consultation, but he doesnt own the clinic, it is corporate owned so not really his fault. At the vet clinic my partner prefers, we took tiara there last year but didn't see the main vet, saw another and she charged almost $120, including for the consultation and medication. And it didnt even help kiara since she passed away days later.

Oh poor little tortoise! Do avian vets over there also see other animals? And just have the speciality in birds? Or is the teaching hospital strictly for birds only?

We think kovu the lovebird will talk with tweety more eventually. She is the one who named her tweety lol. Because we were playing with her outside of the cage once, and my partner asked her what do you want to call the budgie? Tweety? And kovu nodded her head lol! She was probably just bobbing her head happily but in that moment it almost seemed like she was naming tweety. At the moment my partner wants to keep her in the lounge room once he brings her inside, during the day at least, for more peace and quiet for awhile and let her sleep in the birdie room at night. I just hope the conure will not make to much noise at night. Or socrates in the morning.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I am sad to say that tonight, my partner made the hard decision to put tweety down. He said she wasn't doing well all day today, and it was worser than any other day. I had no idea. I honestly thought I was going to wake up in the morning and find her in her new cage in the house already. He said she was losing her balance even more, to the point that she could not even tilt her head anymore or stand properly and wouldn't eat much after awhile. He felt like she was dying and suffering. I was indoors and putting the birdies to sleep and once I finished it was dark already so I went to check what was going on in the garage and he said she was suffering and dying and that he thinks he has to put her down and asked me to call the vets to see if we could go straight away. I called the vets (not the one from yesterday, my partner's preferred one, though his preferred vet wasn't there). It was literally a minute to closing time and I got through and at first they said the after hours vet might not be able to see her and that we should just keep her warm and get booked in for tomorrow morning. But my partner was insisting that they see her now, so they said that's fine, but we were charged the after hours fee. A bit rude since I did call literally a minute before, but never mind. It was for tweety. The vet that saw her was the one who saw kiara before she passed away. She did look at tweety and check her and she had the notes from the first vet on the computer about her and we told her about what the other vet said yesterday. She said it would be better to put her down too because she's suffering and agreed that she didn't look like she was doing very well. So we said our goodbyes, and the vet took her to the back to do what she had to do. It happened so quick, she returned her to us within a few minutes. When we got home my partner held her for awhile in the garage and cried. I cried a bit too but not in front of him. It hurts him much more than me because he was with her a lot more than I was. He buried her in the plant, where he buried the diamond dove. Tweet is not alone there. Three baby pigeons are also buried there, the pigeons in the garage did mate and lay eggs, but the first clutch didnt survive because they didnt have a proper nest and in the second clutch one baby was too small and weaker so he died too unfortunately, with just one surviving and growing up. I hope she is with the doves and kiara now.

My partner went to bed early he couldn't cope and has been crying. I tried to eat dinner and had to stop for a bit. Two deaths in one week. It is starting to get overwhelming. I pray to god that the rest of the birds will live longer and happy and healthy lives.

Rest in peace sweet tweety budgie bird. You really were quite the unique and special bird. The name tweety was meant for you because you look just like tweety the cartoon.

Here is another picture of her, my partner did take photos of her previously, which I didnt know of - she's perched on his shoulder here. I think even though she suffered, that she was happy. I feel like she is happy in that photo. She was quite tame and didnt mind being held and getting head scratches.

Last edited by marroqui; 07-26-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so sad for you and your partner and I am also sitting here crying my eyes out for little Tweety and your partner and yes you too. I was really hoping she would pull through but sadly it didn't happen. I am happy your partner did what he did because it was the best thing to do so she did not have any more pain. Words just are so hard to say when something like this happens but truly my heart hurts for you and your partner. Tweety was beautiful and in the end she was very much loved. Big hugs and lots of love to you and your sweet big hearted partner.

Fly free little tweety...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

I send my sincere condolences to you both at the passing of Tweety. I admire you both for all you did to make her comfortable and making her last days on earth unstressful. Your love for her I am sure, gave her comfort over the last weeks.

Fly high and free sweet Tweety.
    Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thank you Deanna and Ellen, that means a lot. It has hit my partner a lot harder than me since he spent most of the time with her. But it still feels sad. I don't know if it was the right choice to put her down, but I wasn't with her a lot that day and he said she was worser than ever. I guess he must have been right. The trauma to her head must have just gotten too much for her. I did some reading online, mostly on "justanswer.com" where there are avian vets who help out online (I've used them too). And I've seen some people post about budgies tilting their head a lot, and most mentioned head trauma but also dizziness and tumours. I do wonder if she had a tumour in her brain. I do wonder if she was always feeling dizzy and if she suffered this whole time. We will never know. I honestly wish we had gone to the other vet that night, if he was there, sure he might have charged us the after hours fee, but he could have done an autopsy as well for some closure.

I suppose there is no point to dwell anymore because she is gone now, and I really really hope she is not suffering now and is feeling peaceful wherever she may be.

Thank you for all your help the last few weeks, and for all your kind words.

Remove Ads