Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm introducing myself

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: I'm introducing myself

Thank you, all of you. I wish my birds would go back to their cage when I point. Whenever, I open their door, if I'm not extremely careful, Owen will literally bulldoze his way out. This is the tamest bird, next to Vergil. Possibly moreso. He'll fly to you if you offer food.

Anyway.

As soon as they're out, they're out. There's no putting them back in the cage unless it's on their terms. Frustrating sometimes. Especially if I spent the last hour steam mopping the house.

As a result, I've tried cutting back on outside time. If I wait till later in the day, they might not actually come out of their cage when I open it. Mystifying. I wonder if they're so energetic earlier in the day because I like to place their cage outside on the balcony in the morning to get sunshine. They absolutely love to take baths when the sun is hitting their bath. Or it could be that it's later in the day and they used up all their energy.

I've got a new feathered friend now as well! He's a gray and white cockatiel. I named him Dale! He doesn't like me right now, judging from his hissing and snapping but he gets along with the budgies just fine provided they don't crowd him. I do wonder though if he'll just bond to them instead of me. In which I'll be pretty disappointed. I didn't get 2 cockatiels for that very reason. I read online that they'll just ignore you the way the budgies do.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I would suggest giving Dale out of cage time alone. Then return him to his cage, and allow budgies to be out alone. That way, there will be no physical bonding between them, and you will have a better chance of bonding with Dale. Do not house the budgies in the same cage with Dale, ever.

I answered your other thread about Dale. I hope that info will be of help to you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok, so ever since Dale has been brought home, the budgies have started flying to and landing on things they've previously ignored before and randomly landing on me and the kids. I don't know if it's because they're suddenly possessive of their humans because there's a new bird, or they've just suddenly decided to start using me as a playground for the lolz... Either way, I feel that I'm finally being rewarded for my patience! My son has this giant grin on his face because birds are landing on him.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!!! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Time and patience are always on your side. But I fully understand how disappointing it was for you and your kids at times!

Your happy journey with them all has begun! You will be a great parront to them! And they sure will keep you all busy!!!!

Congrats! I am super happy for you!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dale perched on my finger for the first time yesterday, although I had to trick him by distracting him with millet. That trick has only worked once. I tried to do it again today but he clamped down where he was and wouldn't step up. I almost accidentally knocked him off when I was pressing on his belly. His grip strength is surprisingly good. I was expecting something like budgies but obviously that wasn't an accurate assumption.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

So...it seems Stan is a girl. The cere turned tan around the nostrils with blue edges. Owen is unmistakably male. Vergil's is off white around the nostrils with blue edges. I suspect that he might be a female as well. Wendy has an almost imperceptible blue ring around her nostrils with the rest being pink...

So I've begun to suspect that my first two birds were female and my last two to be male.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Or, after some review, I think I might have 3 females. I guess that could explain why Owen is the friendliest and sweetest.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Unless you can get a DNA test for them,you really will not know for sure, until they are about a year old, or, the cere becomes brown and crusty looking on the female or females. They say female budgies have a white circle around each nostril on the cere. And of course, if you see the blue cere male chasing after or mating with any of the others, then you will know they are females.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

This is great they have all became a little friendlier since you got Stan and you gave me a huge smile reading how your kids are so happy the birds are landing on them as well. Treats work well to get them to come to you. I know with Boomer our lovebird he would go out of his way to get to you if you had some spray millet. Tikki my daughters conure will insist on eating anything you are eating and will "no kidding at all" leap into any open bowl or glass that has liquid in it, he loves taking bathes waaay to much! Once you find that one certain thing the budgies love and cannot resist they will come flying whenever you show it to them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Turns out Wendy has heterochromia!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Really? Post pics of her, if you can. I am interested to see her eyes!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh Wow!! That is so amazing and I too would love to see her beautiful eyes. I knew a man years ago with two different colored eyes and it was so strange yet beautiful to look him directly into his eyes.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yeah, it's the strangest thing. One eye has a gray iris and the other is straight black!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She won't sit still long enough to snap a photo!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok, so here's the 9 month update. All 4 budgies are still not finger trained. I don't think they ever will be due to their absolutely inseparable bond with one another. Vergil's and Stan's ceres are both 95% tan, Owen's is bright blue, and the jury on Wendy is still out on Wendy. She's about 50% blue starting at the nostrils and pink on the edges.

Dale is still an antisocial butthead. He's very content to just sit on his perch all day and try to defensively bite everything that comes near, both birds and humans.

Remove Ads