Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie behaviour, I would love to know what Rocky Balbudgie's behavour means.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Budgie behaviour, I would love to know what Rocky Balbudgie's behavour means.

Hi Everyone.
    In my previous threads I have been concerned about the fact that Rocky loves his cage, maybe a little too much and refuses to come out and if I do tempt him to venture further than his front door he flies straight back in at the first opportunity. I am considering a new cage but still pondering over that one and I did promise that I would update on Rocky's progress as well. Rocky is about 15 months old.

In the meantime I have been trying various tactics in trying to get Rocky out and about, he isn't scared of coming out I think it is just the case of he loves his rather big pad with his toys a little too much.

Anyway I have been trying a number of variations in getting Rocky to set foot out of his home, and my first attempt was food, which was a huge big fat no from Rocky, he would rather go without his Millet rather than set wing out his front door, to be honest he just turned the other beak.

His one weakness is a certain mirror in which he goes bonkers for and cannot resist. I have finally managed to gradually tempt him out to the point where he jumps on my hand, hops up my arm and out of his cage, result. He does the usual bobs his head up and down, chirps away and flashes his eyes, then he turned his attention to my hand especially my finger nails where he continues to bob his head, chirp and flashes his eyes which is adorable. But gradually (in fact this is the part that is concerning me) he starts to get a bit more aggressive to the point where he is biting my nail and the tip of my fingers, he seems to know where to go for that hurts the most, and on the odd occasion he will have a go at another part of my hand, I don't think he is being aggressive maybe just a bit boisterous with my hand.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and am no Budgie psychologist but is there a meaning behind it? I am going to keep trying as, at the moment its the only thing that seems to work, although I would like to keep my fingers, I cant believe how much strength there is in a Budgies beak and it would be nice to know what's going on in Rocky's head
    many thanks
    Jane

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 1,225 Posts

Re: Budgie behaviour, I would love to know what Rocky Balbudgie's behavour means.

Biting is a classic for all birds. They do not know it really hurts us! It is just part of being a bird. He really is just playing with you, and it does not sound to me like aggression, but it most likely will continue. Hopefully, someone who has had or still has this problem with their bird will see your post, and give you some suggestions on how to handle this biting frernzy!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Re: Budgie behaviour, I would love to know what Rocky Balbudgie's behavour means.

Hi Ellen,
    Thank you, once again for your advise. I agree with you its definitely not aggression it almost as though he is fixated with my finger nails which is really adorable, but I don't think he realises how rough he is being he is playing. He puts his crazy excited eyes on and bobs his head up and down. I see it as a step in the right direction, and if I have a mirror in my hand I can tempt him to come out, its a working progress.
    Many thanks
    Jane xxxx

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow!! That is soooo neat! It is common for them to like things like ear rings, bracelets, the finger nails, fingers, and also computer keyboard keys! Many a bird has pulled the keys right out of the board.

Now, if he starts biting really hard, then you will have to begin some sort of discipline, otherwise, he will ruin the fun he is having, because they can bite soooo hard, it draws blood. So in this current situation, if that happens, then you must tell him... No, no, Rocky, and return him to his cage immediately for a time out. Budgies are very intelligent, and it may take a few times for him to understand no bitng, but her will get it in time, because he will know he cannot be out of his cage if he is a bad boy. I would not shout, nor use those two words though. After a half hour or so after the time out, let him come out again. I hope this approach will help so he does not get in the habit.

Now another thing to be aware of is that males get hormonal, just as girls do. At that particular time, they will bite much more aggressively, be louder, and tend to use their toys for a mate, as though they were mating. That behavior lasts for a few weeks, so you can also be prepared for that behavior. The same time out approach is necessary, but it will be difficult because hormones really change their behavior. The good news is that it does not last forever, and he will be back to his happy self. Some males do have this behavior, so time will tell!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-23-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jane
    Thanks

Hi,
    That is exactly what I do, when he bites too hard I remove the mirror and my hand and tell him no in a stern tone, he has not drawn blood, yet. I don't shout at him, and to be honest I just think he gets carried away. I also use this time to try and teach him to talk, I'm starting with his name Rocky and I think he is slowly learning. I doesn't say Rocky but I can tell he his trying as I can hear the same vocal tone. He also looks so cute as his feathers on the top of his head stand up, he looks like a little punk rocker.

As for his hormones I am fully prepared, for that and expecting it, my friends Budgie get quite friendly with one of his toys.

many thanks
    Jane

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

My budgie, Muffin, sits and talks for hours. Budgies are very attuned to hearing us talk, not only to them, but our talking in general. I had him only a short time, when one day, I heard him say......how you doin'? Are you doing OK? And I had asked him that everyday since I had gotten him, a few months earlier, and he just learned that sentence and still says it. He will soon be 8 years old. I got a cockatiel a year ago, and Muffin makes every sound, chirp, whistle, and song, my Penny makes.

When you hear him chattering away, try to see what he might be saying! The only thing is, that is hard to do, because once you turn down the TV or music volume, they go silent. Lolo!

Go on YouTube and search for Disco the budgie. Disco lived for many years, just passing about a year or so ago! He was totally amazing.

All parrots, from the little ones, to the big ones are super intelligent. Check out a Post here today, made by desert dweller, Pat. Thread title is Hobbit. Her little birds are totally amazing talkers.

I have no doubt, Rocky will learn to talk.

Remove Ads