where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Fluffed up budgie

Name
    Txus
    Thanks

Fluffed up budgie

Greetings.

My budgie Haku, who usually looks like this has been looking like this for all day.
    I read somewhere this might be due to the bird being too hot and making space for wind to go through so I tried spraying her with some water and she looked the usual after being startled and running away but went back to the fluffed up state after settling back on her spot.

I also read that this behavior might be a symptom of sickness so I'm kinda worried. Should I be taking her to the vet?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Fluffed up budgie

Welcome to the forum! You are right Haku does not look to be normal and it could be a sickness or perhaps he just did not get enough sleep in the night due to a night fright. Is he eating? Drinking? What do his poos look like. Usually when they are not feeling well the poops do change. You can usually see the two parts to them, white with a greenish or sometimes brown as I call it poop in it. If it is all blended together and loose this is a classic sign of illness. If the poos are loose and blended then I would say you should take Haku to the vets. I could notice right away when our birds are sick by the poos because it was always quite a different kind of poo then you usually see.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Txus
    Thanks

We did loose some sleep as she was pretty active the two hours before the alarm went off (I looked a few times, but I couldn't tell what she was doing as she stayed still as soon as I switched the lights on).
    She was pretty lethargic for the first half of the day, not moving and tweeting quite low. She also pooped three or four times what appeared to be just water.
    Later she got pretty much as active as usual and drank and ate (might be paranoia, but I think more than normal).
    At some point multiple quite dark poops appeared at the bottom of the cage and she deflated a bit.

Right now she seems to be completely back at her typical self. I'll still keep an eye open and see how she behaves tomorrow.

We recently started open up the windows, as it's gotten hot already. Might this be part of the issue?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,251 Posts

Budgies are very fragile, and like all parrots hide their illnesses very cleverly. The second picture tells me something is going on with her. I recommend you take her into an avian vet for a wellness check. The poops sound to me as though she could have a bacterial infection. Usually, vets can give a prescription med to clear that up.

It could be she did get to hot. Or, if you run a fan or air conditioner she could have got a draft. Both can cause infection.

Remove Ads