where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Meet Percy

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Meet Percy

Hi everyone,

Me again! I'm on a roll tonight trying to post updates on all the flock!

About two months ago or so someone gave my partner a superb parrot. I had no idea at first when they came with the bird and when I heard him screeching in the garage I was thinking, what is that noise?! And I went there and there he was. Needless to say, I was pretty annoyed because it wasn't discussed with me that another bird was coming. I've also had my hands full caring for the others, as Ashu was still taking time to recover from her injury and so on. My partner was crying and said the person who brought him here was dying and had a terminal illness or something along those lines and needed to find him a home. She apparently had a dog too but a family member was able to take him in but not the bird because the dog apparently tried to attack the dog as well a few times. I was still pretty annoyed as I do not want to overcrowd the house, but I accepted him. He did spend the first night in the garage because my partner had already set up a place for him there (this was before the doves and budgie came so there was just the two pigeons there), but the next day he brought him in the house and he lives in the conures previous big cage. The person that brought him to us did message a few weeks after to check how he was so it seems like she really cared about what was happening and knowing that he was ok. I imagine that would be hard to do as well because u never know what a person who's taken ur bird is going to say and if they are really looking after your animal.

He settled in very quickly, from the first day he was talking back to the other birds. And in no time he has completely MASTERED socrates, the Indian ringneck's sounds! Sometimes I can't even tell if it is Percy talking or socrates. I think he likes socrates a lot. We have also tried to give him time out of his cage a few times but he doesnt want to go outside of it. I think he is a little bigger than socrates but his beak is smaller. He eats from the same seeds as the others, the small parrot seed and he loves fruits just like socrates, but he is also more fond of all varieties of vegetables too. Socrates is more picky about his vegetables, but Percy isn't, he will eat broccoli and his greens. And he likes to have baths in a big bowl too. We are hoping that he will teach socrates to bath in a bigger bowl, because socrates always tries to bathe in his smaller water bowl. Percy doesnt like to be handled though and will keep screeching non stop if being handled, but I do not think he bites. He is quite easy to look after and will just move away when his bowls are being cleaned and then go straight to his new food when it comes back. He is not too noisy either for a bigger bird, even his mimicking of socrates sounds are softer than socrates himself lol. Overall I think he is doing really well and he just likes to make socrates sounds all day while communicating with everyone else. He also makes puppy dog sounds too, which I assume is the sound of the dog that he lived with beforehand!

Here is a photo of Percy:

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: Meet Percy

Awwww! Percy is gorgeous! This response is to all of the threads you updated and provided pictures! You are one talented computerizza, Laila, being able to post all those beautiful pictures of all of them, and also such great updates on all. I am totally in love with them all!

Your cages are all spotless, they are set up sooooo neat, the birds ALL have love written all over their face, and you both are totally awesome caregivers! And as to the egg layers, my definition of chronic egg laying is if they lay an entire clutch of eggs, every 3-4 weeks, the whole year around!!!! And your hens just lay one or two now and then, and basically immediately abandon the eggs. Keep feeding them as you always do. I do not think their health is in danger at all!

I totally admire you both. You are definitely providing all of them with everything they would ever need!

Love and hugs and tons of scritches to every one of the birds, and you and your partner! I would never get anything done in my life, if I could be with your beautiful babies every day!!!!! ((((((((()))))))))))). We will always welcome and enjoy your updates! Thank you, Lailla!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-21-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ellen said it perfectly!! I love reading about your birds and seeing all the great pictures. Percy is beautiful and even if you did not want anymore birds I have to say getting this one was a act of love because no doubt it had to hurt its last owners heart to give it up. HUGS to you and your partner.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Percy is sure a colorful guy. Actually, he is beautiful. Looks to be in good health also.In thr peak of his life, the owner will have many good years with Percy.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen, Deanna and Bill! I appreciate the comments. I definitely overloaded that night when I made all those update posts. I can imagine how the website looked when you checked for recent posts and they were all me lol.

I am glad you all enjoyed all the pictures. I do wonder if I should just create one thread in the general discussions for all the birds - an all in one to make it easier next time lol. Deanna, I agree it would have been heartbreaking for the lady, and my partner said she was crying when she left to go home without him. All I have to do is picture going somewhere without my babies and I am reduced to tears. Ellen, I don't know how I get anything done especially in the day lol. During university semesters, I try to study during the day so that I can relax and watch tv at night when the birdies are blanketed and sleeping but lately I'm finding I dont study as much during the day because I keep going into the birdie room and end up frantically doing it each night - the upside is that I have marathons of my favourite tv shows when I'm on a break which is more fun than waiting every week for a new episode of something that I enjoy Thanks Bill as well, Percy is definitely a healthy boy and has settled in well. I prefer his imitations of socrates' sounds than the original socrates sounds sometimes lol, because he does it softly but socrates screams lol. But when he copies socrates' happy sounds then sometimes I actually can't tell who is the one talking.

I forgot to mention Percy's age - apparently he is 5 years old. So about the same age as the conures! Socrates is 12 years old now. So he's the eldest big boy!

Remove Ads