Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Canary layed out of nest.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Canary layed out of nest.

Hi there, new to tail feathers so excited to learn more from experienced bird owners!

I have a canary hen which has been nesting for the first time for the past 3 weeks. She is currently in with a hybrid (goldfinch mule) so I know the eggs will not hatch if sat on, but wanted nature to take its course as itís her first time.
    I have been proving a healthy diet with everything she needs and she has been doing brilliantly.
    I had 3 eggs of yesterday but woke this morning to one on the floor at the other end of the cage.
    And I have no idea why.
    Some light on why she would have done this would be brilliant.
    Thanks for your time and advice.
    Marleysgold

🐥🐥

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Canary layed out of nest.

No worries. A couple of things could have occurred

Most Likely: During laying this egg, it simply got stuck to her feathers. This happens actually very often. It could have startled her or she jumped to rid herself of it and thus it ended up on the floor. Bad analogy but true is, ever see a dog or cat who has a piece of poop not fall completely do to say hair or something. They jump or drag their bottoms, same type event.

Could be: She is a new mother as you stated and this egg was more of a strain, or she is just getting tired or sore from laying. They lay an egg a day until done, and new mothers, who don't really know what's happening can be sore and tired from the events of laying and simply move around if one is bigger or more strenuous.

Least likely but could be: She was a bit egg bound, meaning close to the note above, and she got scared thinking she was in trouble and went flitting around and that is where the egg came out.

Make sure she has enough calcium right now, her system needs it to get through all of this, and to support her from becoming egg bound. Get some marbles or fake eggs and when she is done laying take out the real ones and put in the fake ones. They can't count so 2 is fine. This way she can't break them and make a mess, it is much more sanitary, and lastly she can sit until she no longer will. They usually will give it a week or two then abandon.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thankyou so much for the advice, I believe all these are options and will cater to each one.

We now have 5 eggs and she has sat, so leaving her too it. Fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Hope you are well.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I forgot to be specific. They usually will give it a week or two past when they where do. Gestation period for canaries is 14 days, so she could sit for 21 or more. Now she also may start laying again after that, and sometimes right on top of the eggs already there. So if you see 6/7/8 eggs, she has done just this. There are tow ways then to make her stop.

1- Pull her tail feathers out. This does not hurt her, it is called tailing a bird. In the wild she would do this if being chased and something grabbed her tail as well. It is a way to force her into the molt. The molt she needs to do by September, she would drop her tail feathers normally anyway and replace all of her feathers. Tailing her is a physical way to force her body into stopping breeding and going into molt.

2- Drop the lighting in the room. Turning off lights or covering the cage at 8 to 10 hours. Meaning you are letting her have 8-10 hours of light then making it dark. This is tricking her into seeing that the days are shorter. This is how nature triggers birds to molt. When the sun is high and the days light gets to 12.5/13 hours birds start mating, when the day light starts to get shorter in fall they molt. Honestly many people do this to their whole flock, I prefer number one above, its easy and quick. It also address just the bird that is broody and leaves everyone else who is ok alone.

Remove Ads