Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Prayers to all Southern California Members due to the Earthquake that has hit today

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Prayers to all Southern California Members due to the Earthquake that has hit today

I pray you all are safe and had no damage. Pat, I am especially thinking of you. Stay safe all!

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Re: Prayers to all Southern California Members due to the Earthquake that has hit tod

I am also thinking of everyone in the area of the earthquake and praying that you are all safe and not harmed. I hope you are ok Pat too. I always enjoy reading your updates here on the forums even though I don't always comment on all posts here.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Prayers to all Southern California Members due to the Earthquake that has hit tod

Oh my goodness they have been so strong that all of California people are feeling really uneasy these days. Luckily since we are on solid rock where I live in the mountains we have not felt any of them but down below in the Sacramento valley 30 miles away that is on "soft" ground they have been feeling the tremors. They are actually saying the fault that is shaking so much on the eastern Sierras could be the release point for the San Andreas fault line that everyone has feared forever and this new fault may be even be worse then the San Andreas. Yikes!!
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I am glad you live in a safer area of the mountains Deanna and hope you won't feel any tremors. What do you mean about the fault shaking on the eastern sierras being a release point for San Andreas fault line? What is a fault line if I may ask? What you have described does sound scary and alarming! I really hope everyone in California will remain safe and unharmed. It is such a beautiful state.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

California has a huge crack underground that is called a fault line which is a crack in the earths surface that splits off into many smaller fault lines . The San Andreas is that big fault line that runs through California from the south and goes out into the ocean near San Francisco. Its what caused San Francisco to burn down way back and they had to rebuild it. It has caused quite a few deadly earthquakes here. It is also what caused the big Sierra Mountain range that I live on. The crust of the earth slips and it built our mountains here. We have active underground lava flows below the ground that cause earthquakes here. I live on rock so we hear them coming before we feel the shaking below us. It is the most awful scary sound to hear because you know the ground is going to shake within seconds of hearing it. We live on the West side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range and have Mt. Shasta and Mt Lassen which are active and have been known to explode but thankfully not in my time here on this earth. On the Eastern side of the Sierras is Mammoth Mountains and other areas that have been active and you can still see hot steam vets coming from the earths crust. They are a bit worried about Mammoth with this new earthquake fault line because it could cause the Mammoth area to explode. I do live in a pretty safe area but then this big new fault has came alive which is affecting the mountains where I live because about 100 miles east of us is where this new fault line has shown its ugly face and who knows what will happen next. But we are talking hundreds of years hopefully but I sure know 40 miles North of us is a very active underground lava flow that has shaken us quite a few times here since I lived here. I remember being 5 years old and hiding under my desk at school with the earth shaking very hard under me. They sent us home and we had a big crack in our wall from the house shifting. I still live in the same area so its always a fear deep inside of the next one. When you hear them coming it makes me very afraid of what is coming next but so far it is not huge earthquakes just small ones. This new fault line that just shook so hard no doubt if it shook further up could shake us hard. They are saying that sometimes big fault lines that are like the San Andreas fault to the west of me release energy that create new big faults and that is what they think might be going on right now. They say it could be the new fault line that may take the pressure off the San Andreas fault and be the new big active one that will need to worry about. We will see...

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Wow! That does sound scary and while I did know that California is prone to earthquakes I did not know about this fault line and the creation of those mountain ranges. While scary, it was interesting to learn this. We do not get earthquakes in the main centres down here, but I think there have been some rare ones in some centres outside of the main cities and up north in the northern territory because of their close proximity to Asia I think they are more prone to natural disasters. There have been floods though and that can occur in any area of the country. I do know new Zealand just three hours away over the sea is prone to earthquakes too. They have such a beautiful country there. May I ask, is all of North America at risk of these earthquakes? Canada too? Or is it mostly California? Do you ever think about moving to another area where there might not be a threat? Or perhaps where you are is your home and that's where you prefer to stay, near your family? I can understand that if that is the case. Thank you for explaining this to me. We hear about global news down here, but it is usually basic and dent explain everything much. I can't imagine what it would have been like having to hide under the tables at school. I do hope that it is 100s of years before anything major happens and maybe even before then, new research may find a way to prevent it or reduce the damages.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It is all of the west coast here in the USA including Canada. Alaska is a very active place maybe even more then here in California. They say in the far future all of the north coast of the USA will no longer be there because of all the faults going through here. I am in a fairly safe area here as far as big earthquakes but we still feel them and some of them are rather big but nothing that will cause much damage. I think the largest was one from the underground lava flows that are 40 miles away and I think that was a 5 on the richter scale. Most are in the 3's here and it is not very often. The Sierras where I live are very old mountains and pretty stable as far as volcanoes but like I said 100 to 50 miles in either direction there are some fault lines that could possible move. Who knows. We have more danger from forest fires here because we live in the forest and they will wipe everything away in hours if they burn fast and hard enough. But I was born and raised within 25 miles of here and I love it and just dont worry.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Oh wow I did not realise Alaska is even more active! It sounds scary to think that some places might not exist in the far future. I really hope this summer you will not have issues with any forest fires. That can also be scary to deal with too. We get fires during summer here too but not right where I live, last year I think further south there were fires and some small towns had to be evacuated. I can understand not wanting to leave because it is your home where you grew up. I always hope that you will remain safe there, and same to all the other members who are living in any active zones too or areas that are prone to any disasters.

Remove Ads