Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Flight Feather Bleeding at Base

Name
    Madi
    Thanks

Flight Feather Bleeding at Base

My almost 20 week old budgie Hades was startled while eating some millet and flew straight into my computer screen which left him with a flight feather sticking straight out of his wing at awkward position, while trying to see the feather it went back into place but is bleeding at the base, not dripping blood but clearly noticeable at an angle, he doesn't fully trust me yet with looking at his wings so I can't see how much it's bleeding or if it stopped but he doesn't seem bothered by it. We don't have the tools for pulling it out nor am I or anyone in my family is experienced in doing so, along with the fact that all avian clinics are closed due to the holiday and we plan on going to a place tomorrow(there is also the concern on if the procedure is gonna be expensive since we are limited). I'm extremely worried if my budgie will be okay if we wait till tomorrow? This is the best picture I could get of the problem.

https://imgur.com/U036ft1
    Last edited by Beaby; 07-04-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Re: Flight Feather Bleeding at Base

Anytime a blood feather bleeds, use cornstarch or flour to stop the bleeding. I hope you got to a vet today. I think they can fix that broken feather.

Your budgie is beautiful! Please let us know how your budgie is doing today. I am sorry I missed your post yesterday.

Name
    Madi
    Thanks

He seems to be doing find today and the feather doesn't seem to be bleeding when I get a good angle of it, we will be seeing a vet today on the matter of it and hopefully they'll be able to get a proper look at his wings since I've been concerned on the fact that his sister has been flying(we haven't had their wings trimmed yet since we are looking for a cheaper place) but all he could is flutter a few inches up and then flutter down to soften his landing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy your seeing a vet about it because it may need to be pulled and only a vet could do that without possibly breaking it way down under the skin if it its damaged down there. My daughters Conure broke his wing feather way down and the vet told us to always come in when its by the base of the feathers. She had a tough time getting the piece that was under his skin out so no way could we have gotten out.

Let us know how it turned out and your a good parront to take it to he vet to make sure it is all OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Madi
    Thanks

We took him in Friday and they were able to successfully remove the blood feather and has been doing fine ever since, though he was a bit grumpy after the feather was removed since he isn't quite used to being handled in such a way yet plus it was his first blood feather. But hes happily chirping away at home and playing with his sister.

https://imgur.com/Ctmw5ra

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Aww! He is soo sweet and beautiful! I admire you completely for taking him to the vet! That was a great decision. Please post about both of them often!

Remove Ads