Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My new Budgie is shy/Tips for not eating/drinking?

Thanks

Exclamation My new Budgie is shy/Tips for not eating/drinking?

Hi!!
    Im a first timer bird owner! I brought home a sweet Budgie, Migi, about 5 days ago and I noticed that shes very quiet and still. All day, she stays on her perch and rarely moves to another perch. Around the 2nd day of being home with me, I tried to see if shes comfortable with my hand around her/in the cage, so I tried to gently pet her and shes calm with me petting her gently. I can tell shes still very scared and shy. When I saw her at the pet store with her flock and other birds, she was also sitting on top of the toy. She trembles a bit, but I dont think shes cold because from the touch, shes warm. She only trembles when I come near her. As of today, shes gotten more and more comfortable with my hands in the cage. She started eating food out of my hand after a while of looking around, etc. I bought her most of the stuff she needs like toys, the calcium block, the cuttlebone, mirror, and Millet spray ( she loves it so much!!), other foods, some treats, and I feed her some fresh fruits. However, Im VERY worried because I dont see her eat out of the food or water cup herself. I also heard birds get nervous to eat in front of you so when I come back to my room for hours, I still dont see any difference in the water or food cup. But she eats out of my hand. Is she just too shy or scared?? Are these common within bringing a new budgie home? Its been a few days, Im just really worried for her. I dont want her to be sick. I also tried the bird bath that attaches to the cage but she doesnt dare to go in the bath. She stares at it for a long time.
    ( also, she perched on my finger once but Im still trying to patiently wait and try again at a slow pace until she is fully comfortable to perch on my finger longer so I can take her around my room!!)
    Please give me any tips because Id like to keep her healthy!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: My new Budgie is shy/Tips for not eating/drinking?

Hi, and welcome to the community! Congrats on bringing home your sweet budgie! Budgies are so special! I have homed then for years!

It is not unusual for her to not eat and drink on her own! I have had some that did not eat or drink at all for 4-5 days. It is a real plus for you that she will eat out of your hand. Keep feeding her that way. Also, she might drink some water from a spoon, or you could use an eye dropper and give her a little water in the side of her mouth. Millet is full of moisture, and is excellent for her to be eating now, since she has not been drinking water. After a few weeks, and her settling in, it is recommended to feed millet for treats only, not for a daily food to replace a good seed mix. Also, I recommend a good seed only mix, and no pellets. Pellets are dry foods and man made. I feel that natural seeds are best for budgies.

Keep the seed and water cups full, and where she can easily access them. Also, put a couple cups of each in her cage, so she can find them. There are small cups that have hooks that you can attach to the cage bars. You could also put some millet in a separate cup.

I would say within a week or so, she will be settled in nicely, and you are going to be far ahead in bonding with her because she has already allowed you to feed and touch her. Sometimes it takes a very long time for that to happen.

It is a little early yet for her to try the bath. Some budgies love bathing. Others, not so much.

Time and patience are on your side. Soon, the two of you will be best friends!!! Awwww! That is very special!

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks

Hello!! Thank you for your response! I monitored her for a few days after I posted my concern. She’s definitely opened up to me more since I last posted this!! I’m so happy! She started going down the highest perch to the lowest one where her food is by herself without having me hand feed her! I still haven’t seen her drink on her own yet, but she started drinking it and taking a few sips when I offer her some and hand it to her. She’s gotten more used to perching on my finger and chirping often randomly! However, I’m not sure if she’s still shy or scared, but she’s really really calm. She doesn’t interact with the toys in her cage. She stares at them when I move them to get her to play with them and seems interested, but doesn’t move them..

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awesome! She is doing great and so are you! I think each day you will see her being more active and she will begin playing with her toys too! If she does not have one, get her a swing, and a mirror! My budgie, Muffin, loves both, and plays with his mirror girlfriends!

Thanks

Thank you!! I’m trying my best to keep her happy!! It’s been about 3 weeks since she came home with me and since then, she’s become very vocal and chatty! But she has yet to play with her toys. I think she doesn’t like them(??) I’m not sure but if she doesn’t like those toys, I will buy her different ones. I was told to chosen any toys so I just picked one with some bells and one with soft yarn like materials to destroy. Also! I want to know if it’s recommended to clip their wings?? I studied some about it and learned that some bird owners clip their wings to reduce the risk of injuring themselves/escaping. I want to allow Migi out of her cage sometime and allow her to fly around and get used to the surrounding. I did that a few times in my house in a small spare room to let her fly around. How long would you guys say is appropriate to let them out of their cage for play time? And what do you guys use to clean their dropping’s?? We have carpet floor so that’s going to be tough cleaning!!
    Please let me know!!
    I appreciate all the help, advice, and feedbacks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Clipping is an option for all bird owners. If you can find an avian vet in your area, give them a call and ask if they have an experienced wing clip technician. Not all techs are versed on proper wing clip, and if you were to have one that did not clip properly, or, overclip the flights, then your budgie will not be able to fly properly, nor be balanced in flight. A good tech will know to barely clip the flights in a way that will slow the bird down, but not constrict his flight ability.

Please know, that even with wings clipped, if a bird gets out of the home, he or she can still fly. So, in my view, when the bird is out of cage, it is always a good idea to use a small area for out of cage time. They also can injury themselves while out. Remove any mirrors on walls so they do not fly into them. Also, close curtains or blinds so they cannot fly into windows. Also, keep them out of the kitchen, too many dangers there, and turn off ceiling fans.

I would say 1-2 hours max is a good amount of time out of cage. You could get a small play gym for her at a petshop. You could set it up in any room and move from room to room. That might help her to fly less around the house.

Also, be especially careful of electric cords. Birds like to chew on them, and can get electrocuted.

Also, for toys my budgie loves his small mirrors and swing that I got at petshop. He loves to play with his mirror girlfriends, Bella, Bailee, and Pearl! Incidently, Muffin is blind now. He is going to be 8 years old soon, and has been blind for over a year. He is brave and courageous. I read to leave everything in his cage as it is, when I realized he could not see, and that has worked out well. He still plays with his mirror girlfriends and swings!

I stay away from shredding toys, and those with pieces that my birds can chew, or ingest.

Yoiu are doing great! You have a best friend already! Budgies are the best!! I love them, and ALL birds. Gid gave them beautiful bodies, feathers, and wings!

We will welcome updates!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-28-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Remove Ads