Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: BOURKE and CANARY QUESTIONS

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Paige
    Thanks

BOURKE and CANARY QUESTIONS

Hello,

I am 16 and have a Bourke and Canary that I've owned for 4 years. I have a few questions:

1. Why is my Bourke loud until I uncover her cage?

2. My canary looks like he has been lunging his head with beak open towards my female Bourke. Her response is to hunch forward and make an odd sound. Do I need to separate them? They were previously housed together with finches. He was not acting this way then. I separated them into their own cages for a while. After I lost my finches, I put them back together and it is just the two of them. If I do separate them, do they need a friend or are they ok alone?

3. If I need to separate them I have two cages for the canary. One is taller and has greater depth. Would the canary need the bigger cage or will the smaller be better?

Thanks in advance,

Paige

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: BOURKE and CANARY QUESTIONS

I do not know about Bourke's but in regard to canary's, yes separate them. A single male canary can become territorial. Where as I don't think he could do serious harm to a Bourke, the Bourke in turn, if it gets tried of the canary being a pest, kill or harm it. Again single male canary's can get very aggressive of their space. This usually is not an issue with a large cage with multiple birds but just two, can occur.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Paige
    Thanks

Thank you for the information! Do you think I should move my canary into the the taller or shorter cage that mentioned?

Thank you so much,

Paige

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

I always prefer taller than shorter. Some people think a canary will do best when its allowed to fly back and forth on perches that are set so the bird can fly side to side instead of back to front. The truth is they don't get a lot of exercise that way at all. The best is a tall cage with food and water on the bottom and perches at the top. This way they glide down but have to fly up using more muscle and energy. I can walk from one end of a room to another with ease, ask me to walk up a flight of stairs and you've made me exert myself.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Paige
    Thanks

Thank you so much! I've always wondered about that cause I've heard people say both.

Thanks,

Paige

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

On another forum a lady was completely adamant about perches should be set up for a bird to move from left to right or side to side instead of front to back. So much so she was getting belligerent about it. I had to laugh and wonder why she was getting so angry, well at least her words showed she was, even though I had not been on the thread at all. After it went on for a few days, the poor lady was still defending herself and it had moved to being now cold and harsh. I decided to chime in, since she and others simply did not possess any self realization that the topic simply was not important enough for anyone to get that angry. Seems prevalent everywhere today, but that's another topic. Anyway, I asked her to send a video of her set up to make her point, which on my end was simply baiting her into what I was truly after. She did and I immediately answered her showing her she truly was wrong. If you watch a bird on perches, especially ones in almost 90% of cages being used. I don't care if the perches are front and back or side to side, watch the bird. It will open its wings and jump to the other perch. It may flap its wings once or twice but the primary movement is a jump and the wings are being used to steady itself. Much different if the bird must fly down and up. OH she got angry, and when I informed her I was not arguing nor being mean but simply asking her to watch and draw her own conclusions. Long story short, I can only assume she drew the same conclusion but her pride got the best of her. I haven't seen her back on that forum. Truth again is all comments on any forum are personal opinions, that's it. Some educated, some from experience and others well not a bit true nor able to be backed up, but again all opinions. We're all different and we all have opinions, no need to argue about them. If you want the road and want to go really fast to get somewhere, no worries I'll pull over and let you by, be safe so everyone can be safe. The best knowledge come from observation. If you stand in a corner and watch your birds, all kinds of questions will come to mind. Keep watching and formulate the why's to those questions. You'll be amazed at how much you can learn about so much by simply being quiet and watching. It allows you to formulate your own opinions not others. Plus other people as in my examples can chose to waste energy on anger, and arguing, I think its a waste of time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Paige
    Thanks

Wow! Thanks for the information. I try my best to watch my birds as much as I can. I will say I think my canary is a little lazy. I wouldn't say he's the most active canary in the world so it's kinda hard to come to a conclusion. I guess my conclusion is that he's lazy. I'll keep watch on them.

Thanks,

Paige

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

HA, some are. You can still learn a lot by watching them. I have over a 100 right now so I practice a method when I'm changing food, water and baths. I never stop and stick my face in any cage ever, it just terrifies them, yea I'm not pretty, Ha, no one should do that to them. I always, while moving around the room watch the birds on the other side, not the ones near me. Its like being in the mall or an airport, you can gather a lot of information from just watching at a distance. They see you feeding and such, but you're not near them yet so they move around knowing you're coming. Its like someone's coming over for you and your not frantic but you're getting ready. They will show you little things at this time such as a small lameness or favoring a leg or wing. They will puff up and preen their feathers showing you if something is wrong or right as well. They know food is coming and some act excited and others just move around anticipating, either way they move. Now about the lazy part, lazy is one thing, fat is another. Fat is bad for birds, but I will say something that confuses people. This time of year, they need a little more fat than usual, being molt time. If your bird IS NOT molting don't add any, if IT IS, add some sunflower seeds and even flax. Not a lot just some. Sunflower is like crack to birds, they love it like candy, but it is fattening. Another great source of both fat and protein is hemp hearts, which you can usually get in the grocery store. Lastly flax seed, which adds oil and a great sheen to their feathers. Not to much, it can give them runny poop, so not a lot. If you do give to much or have runny poop, give them the same thing we should eat to correct it, straight cooked rice. Again not to much you want to correct, not stop them up. Lastly a great experiment to see how your birds are is to play a game. Birds instinctively eat what they need, the what they want second. Like pregnant women who carve and eat weird things, its their body telling them they need something. Birds do the same. So take a bunch of bowls of even clips and set out 5, 6 7 items all around the cage. Kale, Broccoli, Carrot, Sunflower seeds, banana, bird grit. Now step way back and watch. They should be Leary at first not knowing what all this is, which can scare them. After they settle they will investigate. You will see what they go for. If greens, well they are missing them or the vits from them. If grit, well again calcium, sunflower, fat etc. Birds in the wild don't eat the same thing every day, so stimulating their brain first by all the new things wakes their brain up, bored birds get lazy and lose drive. Then stimulated also for new food stuffs they may by this test tell you they need. Sorry this got long, a club member and I were just talking about why she referred to her bird as lazy.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Paige
    Thanks

I don't care that you wrote a lot. The more info I get, the better! I'll try this as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Paige

Remove Ads