Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Found injured baby quaker, have a cockatiel at home, help

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Found injured baby quaker, have a cockatiel at home, help

Hi I am new here!
    Iíve had a cockatiel (Shamu) for over 10 years and i love him with all my heart he goes everywhere with me, sits in the bathroom while i shower, sits with me while at my desk, etc. Heís pretty much never in his cage.

Two days ago, my dad called and said he found a baby bird (in the middle of the road at his job) that couldnít walk. It seems the bird has a broken foot? He canít use it to stand and limps when he walks. Iím pretty sure itís a baby quaker. Heís young enough that he doesnít fly yet but he has all his feathers. I donít know how to go about the next step here, he said he only took it because it was in the middle of the road with its wings sprawled out and an injured leg and that a client saw him fall from a tall tree and he didnít know what to do so he brought it home. Iíve put the bird in Shamuís travel cage with a towel on the floor and water and soaked cockatiel pellets. I donít think heís learned how to eat yet or maybe doesnít know since heís wild. Should I keep the bird (even with Shamu), return it near the tree where he fell, or give him to my dadís coworker who mentioned having a big farm and wanting a bird recently? Iím so stuck and I donít know what the right thing to do is. I donít have loads of time but can dedicate some extra time for a bird especially because I donít mind all the time I already dedicate to Shamu. My main concern is doing whatís best for this new baby bird and for my cockatiel to be safe and not feel out of place in his own home.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Found injured baby quaker, have a cockatiel at home, help

I am happy your dad found it and saved it. Its parents might have been around but with a hurt leg it may not have made it as a wild bird. If you have wild bird and animal rescues in your area they would be the first choice to take it to. They will know what to feed it and how to do it correctly and most importantly they would know how to fix its leg. If that isnt a choice then I would either keep it and raise it or give it to your dads friend but first make sure they really can take care of it properly. This little baby must be such a little sweetheart and truly I am happy your dad saved it from a sure death.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Can I take care of it properly even with a cockatiel? I would love to keep it but am scared that I will be limiting Shamu and maybe putting him in danger as the new baby grows older and nippier since cockatiels tend to be more docile.

Also, thank you for the reply! Any advice is appreciated I am glad my dad saved him as well.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

If you use a separate cage for him, I see no reason why you could not keep him. The main goal for you will be to always keep them in separate cages, and to never allow them to fly free together. Let one at a time out of their cage. I am thinking this little guy may not ever be able to walk or fly properly. But that really will not ever stop him from loving life and his new home. Special needs birds are full of spirit and courage. There are many ways to help him thrive, if it turns out he is limited to walking and flying. I have a blind budgie, who will be 8 years old soon. He has been blind for about a year. He sings, plays with his mirrors, eats and drinks, and navigates his cage well.

Go on line and search for proper diet and care of a young quaker parrot. That will give you great info of feeding and carrying for him.

Your cockatiel might be inquisitive about him, but as long as you maintain treating him and loviing him as you did for all the years, and he remains in his cage, I think it can work out fine.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-08-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have a girlfriend who owns a quaker and also conures and they all seem to get along well. She lets them out at separate times and they are happy healthy loving birds. I love quakers and have personally only got to see only one of them in my life because sadly they are banned from California but luckily for me they are not in Nevada so I can go to the bird stores there and see them. I got to see one being hand fed at a store that raises them and OMG that baby was so cute shaking like crazy and making the cutest noise as she fed it. Just so you know I have no idea what it was other then bird formula they had because they raise birds by hand and sell them there.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads