Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rainbow Bourke Parakeet with a dirty butt

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Rainbow Bourke Parakeet with a dirty butt

Hello guys! I found this site in interest of asking a question concerning my bird. What are the causes to a dirty butt, besides stress and diarrhea? My bird has neither of those.

I have an older male Rainbow Bourke Parakeet, we got him from a breeder years ago and his cage has been kept the same for the longest time. The last time we switched up his perches was weeks ago. No new changes in the house, havent moved, theres no reason for this to be because of stress. His food has remained the same, as well.

A little while ago I noticed his butt was a little dirty, but we just kept clean bath water in his cage and waited to see if it would go away.

Finally got to cleaning him up yesterday, and I've noticed not only was his butt dirty around the vent, but he also has a bald patch around it/slightly up on his belly. It looks dry and a little flaky. I've attached pictures, although they were after I cleaned him up.

Quigley, the bird, is as normal as ever. Eating, drinking, bathing, no differences in him at all.
    Before telling me to ship him off to the vet, I'd rather do my research first and figure out what might be the cause of this, and if it's something I may be able to treat at home, if there's something wrong with him at all. I'd just like to do some research on it so that way I can care for Quig to the best of my ability.

I tried doing some research and I'll keep looking while waiting for answers here.
    Thanks!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Rainbow Bourke Parakeet with a dirty butt

Does this picture work?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the community. I could look at the picture. In my view, I feel it could be the result of a tumor in that area. Do you see him picking at that area? Since it is close to the poop area, it could be that the tumor is pressing on that area, and the poop cannot come our normally. Does he drink quite abit of water? Not drinking enough water could also cause dry or sticky poops. Does the seed mix have seeds only in it, or are there pellets in the ingredients. Pellets are dry foods and often cause dry or sticky poops if not enough water is consumed. Do you see any dried blood in that patch area? Or on the feathers. In my view, I do feel he needs to be seen by an Avian vet. I do not think there are any home remedies or treatments that would help this to heal.

How old is he? Age, if several years old, could also be a factor. When you research, do this.....tumors of the abdomen and intestines of a bourke parakeet. Also do the same, but say, pictures of an abdominal and intestinal tumor on a Bourne parakeet.

I hope this info is of help to you. I feel the sooner the vet check, the better.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hello, thank you!

No, I haven't really seen him picking at that area, but I haven't been watching him like a hawk. His poop is normal, too, I haven't seen any changes in it. I also don't see any blood on the bald patch, only some flakes. The thing is, is that feathers totally cover the bald spot, but when I look under his feathers on a different place, they're downy and there's no bald spot. His food is just seed, and we also give him millet. Another thing we keep in there is cuttle bone. Just plain cuttle bone, none of the flavored ones. As for water, I don't see an abnormal amount of drinking or lack thereof. I just refilled his water yesterday so I'll keep an eye on how far it goes down.

Quigley is older, but I'll have to get on another computer to search our picture files to see if we have one near when we first got him. My mom tried to look for the email from the breeder to find out that way, but she must've deleted it. I'd say he's several years old, though. We've had him a long time.

It's possible it could be because of age, but I'll have to specifically look that up. Just now before I typed this I took him out and felt him all over, and I could feel no lumps, so there is no tumor growing outward. Feeling along his chest/underside specifically where the bald patch is I could feel nothing. If it is a tumor it'd have to be internal. I did notice his bald spot extends farther up his belly than I first realized, too. He's a normal weight, not skinny or bony, and his butt has cleaned up nicely around the vent. Not even a stain. I'll have to mark my calendar and watch if it dirties up again.

Thank you so much for the post. I'll keep doing research on tumors and I also want to look into skin diseases/problems, since the bald spot is bigger than I first realized. Perhaps he's just getting old, but I'm a bit baffled at what this could be.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Yes, I am also perplexed. Do you ever see him picking on that area? If that is the case, it also could be what we call feather plucking in one specific area of the body. Or, perhaps he injured that spot somehow, perhaps on a toy, or maybe scratched it somehow on a piece of cage wire, or also, perhaps it was an insect bite.

We will watch for more of your updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I read a bit about feather plucking, and I wondered that too. He doesn't get taken out too often since he usually doesn't like to come out. I have no idea if that is because I'd grab him out of the cage as a kid a lot, although we've mostly left him alone and have worked on letting him step out on his own for a few years now, so I think he just prefers to stay in his cage. That said, however, I'm going to start taking him out more and try to keep more active with him. He really enjoyed it yesterday when I put him out on a perch and let him watch and listen to bird videos on my laptop, ha.

I don't see him picking, but I'm going to try to watch him more and see if maybe that's all this is. I can't think of anything he could've hurt himself on in the cage, but I can go over it again and see.

One thing I'm trying to decide if I should try to add pellets to his diet, since I've been reading from multiple sources that pellets are good and a lot of people give them to their bourkes. That or if there is something that can promote feather growth that'll fill in the bald spot...I don't know. I'm still researching, and I'm trying to figure out if it'd be beneficial to my bird to give him something or just leave it alone. Is it true in birds, perhaps specifically to bourkes, that if I'd give (in a small amount) a bit of boiled egg high in protein it would help? I know extra protein helps ducks grow feathers but they're an entirely different type of bird so I understand there are differences between the two. Gah. I've been researching again for like 30 minutes. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated on how Quigley is doing.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I really cannot help much but will add in my thoughts. First if at all possible I would buy him the (TOPS) Totally Organic Pellets made from the TOPS company. They make the best pellet I have found and it is the kind of pellet that will make you feel good about feeding him pellets. It is made from all organic human grade food and has no fillers or added vitamins in it at all. Our birds all love them. You can get them on line at Amazon or you can get lucky and find them in a feed store or bird store locally. All the other pellets contain too many additives and un-natural things that I do not think are good for our birds at all. Eggs are good protein and if you wash the shells really good before you boil them you can crush the eggs up and mix it into a little bit of egg for him.

I wonder if maybe his feathers are missing there because he is over preening the feathers because his poos are sticking to his rear. Its my guess but then it also could be the reason his poos are sticking because something is going on down there. I hope it isnt a internal tumor like Ellen mentioned but it very well could be. Whatever you do keep a close eye on him because something could really be going on inside of him and the longer you wait to see a vet the worse it could get.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads