Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My cockatiel keeps licking her foot

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My cockatiel keeps licking her foot

my husband and I were out of the country to visit my mom for 20 days and left my cockatiel to my in-laws. My husband went back two days ago and noticed my cockatiel kept licking his left leg and putting it down and picking it up, and he said he appear a little red, but he couldnít tell. He said it looks like itís only one of his toes, but he wasn't sure. Iím worried out of my mind because I wonít be able to go back in the next 20 days. I keep searching online but itís making me worry even more. My in-laws said they havenít seen her do that before. I thought maybe it was because his nails have not been trimmed since we left, but then why does she keep tapping it. Or could it be because of stress of not seeing us?? She was very attached to us and my husband said she is even more attached now that he is back. Or could it be because she was it her cage and not let out as often. Iím terrified, Iím so worried because we live in a city without any bird vets. Iím scared itís Bumblefoot, Iím scared it wonít heal by itself. I donít know what could it be. She is my baby and if anything happens to her itís going to kill me. I would appreciate any help.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My cockatiel keeps licking her foot

Its possible your bird had a night fright and hurt his leg a little bit or maybe it is like you said some sort of nervous thing it is doing because he is so excited to see you again. Its possible he hurt his toe a little bit or maybe even had a small night fright and bent it back in his panic. Keep a good eye on him and if it gets any worse I would take him out of the cage and look closely at his toes to see if it seems to be hurt. Honestly our birds here have hurt themselves so many times and it usually is the feet that get the worse abuse. I really hope it gets better soon so you will know your boy is OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,324 Posts

Re: My cockatiel keeps licking her foot

I agree with Deanna. He may have gotten frightened while there and injured his foot, or it may also have been stress, and he was doing that while you were gone. If you see any blood, then call your vet to get and take him in for a check-up!

+ Reply to Thread