where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hi I'm new

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

Talking Hi I'm new

Hello!
    My name is Amber and Ive been a bird mom for about a year. I had 5 budgies but unfortunately I lost two of them. I've vowed never to let that happen again, and to treat my 3 remaining birds with the utmost care and respect. One of the birds who passed was my Earl-y Bird. Earl was the first budgie or bird Ive ever owned. He was my best friend and I miss him more than I can bear. He was bonded to me; he loved to play and was always singing to me. He would get on my thumb and peck at my fingernail like if he were beak-kissing another birdie.
    I'm in a few parakeet-oriented groups on Facebook and when I found this forum I knew I had to join. When I was a teen I was active on quite a few forums and find their format to be the easiest for me to understand. I have high-functioning Aspergers, ADHD, and anxiety, so sometimes things get a little jumbled in my head. I hope that my communications on this forum will be concise and able to be understood effectively.
    So, hello all. I hope I can make some friends

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Hi I'm new

Hi, welcome to the forum!! I can relate and empathize with you. Both with your birds and for health. I hope you find your time with us enjoyable!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Hi, and welcome to you and your 3 budgies!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Glad you're on board...welcome!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Hey there and welcome to the forum of bird lovers.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

Thank you, everyone! I'm very excited to be here. I used to love forums as a teen and I'm very happy to have found on just for birdies! I'm in a few Facebook groups that are budgie related but I like the formatting of forums much more. Plus here I can learn about all different types of parrots
    Rest in peace, Earl-ly bird

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi! Just thought I would mention I used to love online forums as a teenager too (back in the early 2000's that is!). I could never make friends properly at school in the beginning so I made friends online instead. Most of the forums were based in the USA so I remember a lot of the people that I would chat with online were in the USA. I mostly used to join fan pages of my favourite actors and make friends like that. Funnily enough, I met one friend who was also here in Australia, but in a different state to me, and believe it or not, we are still friends to this day and have met in person too when I visited that state for a short holiday with a friend. That being said I dont have much of a social circle, and just a few good friends that I was finally able to make when I started working etc who are scattered around, not in the same state as me, as I left where I used to live to move to another state.

I think there are good and bad things to facebook. In my case, the benefit is that it would be the only way to interact with my relatives whom are all scattered overseas and everyone knows facebook in most countries regardless of language barriers. However, even with that I still dont bother to have a facebook account. I don't like it as I feel like there is no privacy and its too easy to look at other people's supposedly perfect lives and feel depressed about my own when seeing updates so I choose not to use it (I even did an assignment on the impact of facebook on mental health for a psychology class) . But the bird groups on there do sound interesting.

I'm so sorry that you lost two of your birds. It is heartbreaking to lose them, we get so attached to them and I think they get attached to us even if they are not tamed. I lost a bird last year too, which happened so suddenly and without any warning. I had exams in that week too so it was even more difficult to have to deal with that too. After that happened I also vowed to keep my eye on all the birdies and try to notice any warning signs earlier to prevent anything. I really hope you enjoy the forums and look forward to reading updates on your three little budgies!

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

Hi marroqui! Thank you for responding to me. I also joined groups for actors, specifically Darren Criss after I saw A Very Potter Musical. I also worry about privacy on Facebook so I dont really post anything personal. Lately I've been sharing pictures of cool birds. I'd be interested in reading that assignment you did.
    Thank you for understanding how hard it is to lose a feathered friend. I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost a fid as well, and especially that is was during such a difficult time. I've also vowed to never lose a bird in that way again, so thats why I got pet insurance and am taking all three of my babies to the vet on the 31st. I'll be their first check up and a good way to establish their baseline norm.
    I'm been enjoying this forum, very much so! I hope to post about my fids as often as there is something to be said. I've already made a few posts here and recieved some very good feedback.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Hi Amber, I am late in responding but wanted to say welcome to our forum!

I use facebook and love it. My family is spread all around and its great to see what they are up to on it. My mom and step dad travel the world in there Mercedes van and also in rented vans and the pictures they post makes our family feel like we are right there with them. I also found lost friends from my teen years that I had not talked to since I was young. Without facebook we would have never talked again. I am a outdoor girl who loves to hike, ride motorcycles (dirtbikes) and enjoy mother nature and share my pictures on facebook as well. To me privacy is lost because everywhere we go someone is watching us on cameras except when we are out in mother nature far away from manmade things. I just dont worry too much about it because I love the fact that it connects us with long lost friends and family.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

Whoa, boomer girl, your family sounds wickedly cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    ] I am a outdoor girl who loves to hike, ride motorcycles (dirtbikes) and enjoy mother nature and share my pictures on facebook as well. To me privacy is lost because everywhere we go someone is watching us on cameras except when we are out in mother nature far away from manmade things. I just dont worry too much about it because I love the fact that it connects us with long lost friends and family.
    You are right that surveillance is everywhere. I try not to think about it too much because then I get paranoid lol. But I agree that the benefits that Facebook provides are valuable and thats why I do keep a profile on there, that and to use the messenger function. I actually found my way to forums from wanting more out of Facebook groups. For the this was about ten years ago, so '08 ish, and although I never was part of the internet before that time I was lucky enough to experience the remnants of the golden age of Internet.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

I did have a facebook account a long time ago, I think when it was still a new thing. Around 2007 or 2008. But then I stopped using it after about 2009 or 2010, which was unfortunate because I think that's when all my relatives around the world began to discover it lol. But I have other ways to communicate with them, with my phone and using apps on there. I do agree that it is beneficial in helping people reconnect though, especially as Deanna mentioned, to reconnect with old friends that she might not have spoken to again. If I ever opened an account again, it would be to try to connect with family more than old friends. But for now, I think im content without it. I think I would eventually try to find friends and start to feel sad or envy and start to make comparisons and it won't be healthy for me. but that's just me I think im more worried about my bad habits of comparing than of privacy. I do worry about this forum disappearing and having no way to contact some of the members on here though. I really hope this forum sticks around for a really long time. Also I agree, Deanna your family sounds really cool! You have mentioned to me before about how your parents have travelled a lot and even visited where I live now, although probably not while I have been here lol, and it sounds like such amazing experiences.

I think that I experienced the boom of the internet as well. As a teenager in the early 2000's we still used the house phone / landline to call friends and have a chat! But slowly we all started to get mobile phones and before I knew it within a few years it went from long chats on the house phone to quick phone calls on the mobile or just text messages. My how things have changed!

Amber, I really hope the vet appointment goes well on the 31st and I think it is really good to establish their baseline norm, as you mentioned. That is great that you got pet insurance there! We don't have insurance for birds down here, companies only offer insurance for cats and dogs. But the cost of going to the vet for a bird can vary, sometimes it is as low as $20, and sometimes it can be as high as $50, or more if medicine is needed. I am wishing the best of luck on the appointment for your little budgies and I will keep my eye out for an update closer to the date too.

Remove Ads