where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Multi-bird training and behavior

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

Question Multi-bird training and behavior

Hello, all.

I have three budgies and I am hoping to gain some advice on training them all together. My girl Banana will step up on my finger. Sometimes my girl Snowy will step up on a stick for me, but those times are few and far-between. My boy Ghondi will not let me near him. He likes to fly at my head when I try to touch him.

I have heard that flying at your head is to see your reaction, like a game of sorts. Is that accurate? I worry that it really is meant to be seen as a threat, that he is angry at me. I am hoping someone will be able to clarify this behavior for me.

I also would like tips on how to make progress with all of my budgies. I have heard that training is very hard when you have multiple birds. They are all housed in a large flight cage, and I only have one other cage that would be suitable for a single bird. So I cant separate them and work with them individually. It also seems cruel to separate them since they are accustomed to being flocked together.

Any thoughts?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Multi-bird training and behavior

Heck yeah it's hard... I've had my four for about 6 months and thus far I've only achieved eating from my hand (when they feel like it) and "beaking" my fingers. Otherwise they pay zero attention to me unless I try to interact with them. Then I have it. Usually so they can get away from me. Unless, of course, they feel like eating offered food and "beaking". It's super frustrating but I suspect if I continue to give them undivided attention (has to be in a group because they're so bonded it's literally impossible to separate them. Like they will constantly contact call each other through the wall if they get separated. Or try to fly through me when I open the cage.) they'll come around in a few years.

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

I haven't been able to get my three to eat from my hand. Sometimes they'll accept millet from me, but they are very dubious about my hand.My boy Earl used to eat seed from my hand, perch on my fingers. and 'beak-kiss' my thumb. He was a very sweet little guy and I miss him every day. My birds also contact call when separated, like if I put one in the small cage and have it next to the flight cage where they can see each other. .
    I am hoping the get a few more perches and try rotating who is separated to see if I can get some training in. I have plenty of various perches in the flight cage but need to get more for the small cage. That and more food/water dishes. But I think I would only separate them during training sessions, and then re-house them all together.
    Rest in peace, Earl-ly bird

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I've only managed what I have by literally sitting their cage on my lap while I watch TV through the bars. Eventually I'll open one of the slider doors and snake my hand into the bottom of their cage. Looks absolutely ridiculous but it seems to have made a little progress.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think that is a great idea having them sit in your lap while inside the "safe" cage. You should try sneaking them some treats through the cage bars as well. I have heard they like spray millet or you can just use some of the seeds from there bird seed mix that you see them pick out first when you feed them a fresh bowl of seed. In time bribing them with food usually can get them to accept hopping on your hand to eat those yummy seeds. In our family it is the safflower seeds and sunflower seeds that our birds come running to you to get that yummy treat. Even my sisters big Amazon will come to you if you hold up a sunflower seed.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads