Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgie won't stop eating, but only eats seeds

Name
    Rodrigo
    Thanks

Question My budgie won't stop eating, but only eats seeds

Hello good people, I got my budgie, Lionel Messi, about 5 days ago, and the guy at the pet store told me he should be about 2 months old. For the first two days he didn't even touch the feeder, but since day 3 he's been eating like crazy. He eats for like 5 minutes, then stops a bit, take a nap, and half an hour later starts eating again. If I take away the feeder with the seeds, he goes to the ground and starts picking the leftovers searching for food. He doesn't give any attention at all to fruits (apples, gilo and bananas) or vegetables (lettuce and carrots). He's really really skittish, doesn't let me anywhere near him with my hands or fingers, so he won't eat fruits or veggies off my hands either. I actually got him to reach for a bit of lettuce in day 3, he took three bites and that was it. Ever since I've been leaving fruits and veggies on the feeder for quite a while and he won't pay any attention. Tried mixing the fruits and veggies with a little bit of seeds, he went for the feeder and picked off the seeds and left everything else there.
    I've read that a seed-only diet is not healthy, so I really really need some help in feeding him the healthy stuff. Anything would be appreciated. This very moment as I'm writing he's picking the leftovers from the feeder instead of eating the gilo I left there. Also, he seems to have a bit of trouble eating the sunflower seeds that come with the rest of the seeds. He picks them up but gives up really quickly.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: My budgie won't stop eating, but only eats seeds

Hi, and welcome! I think he is doing great for only having him a few days. It will not hurt him to keep eating seed at all. It takes time and patience to get them to eat veggies and fruits. Try feeding just one item at first, such as leaf lettuce. Not head lettuce because it is full of water. I recommend seeds and not pellets for budgies. Seeds are nature made. Pellets are man made. Feeding the fresh veggies except for any cabbage family veggies, such as kale, broccoli, and parsley, and fresh chopped or sliced apples are good starter foods. Cabbage family veggies have a phytochemical in them that can cause esophogal tumors in budgies. Also, try feeding some millet sprigs for treats. Try finding a seed mix of seeds only, especially for budgies. They should not eat sunflower seeds, they are too large, and have too much fat in them.

Time and patience will win for you! Each week you will see him being more trusting of you. Do not force him into anything. He will feel more comfortable as the days go by.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-16-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

A little more time will tell about his heavy eating. Possible the store did not feed him near as good or as much as you have fed him. Anyhow, just give a bit less food daily, but not a big daily drop. That should work. Could also have been that what you fed him he peally liked and would eat and eat. Budgies will eat and eat if you give them spray millet. They love it.

Name
    Rodrigo
    Thanks

An update!
    Today morning before I went to work he actually ate a lot of seeds from my hand. I just placed my hand beside the cage and put some seeds on top of it, then he slowly but surely came, carefully watching me for any movement. Later I grabbed some seeds with my fingers and offered through the cage, then he also came and ate. Always careful and suspecting, but each time more confident. I'm so happy about it!
    And I might have a thought about his "obsessive" eating: it's winter time in Rio de Janeiro, and though our winter isn't nearly as cold as some places, we tend to get some 15C in the worst days. Perhaps he's trying to store some fat for the cold? In any case, I've been putting 1 table spoon of the seeds in his feeder, and it seemed enough for him today when I got home, since he doesn't seem so desperate to find leftovers as he did yesterday.
    I'm a first-time bird owner, and gave a lot of thought before getting a budgie. It's so great and exciting to see him get more confident and smart! Thanks for the tips!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Awesome! He is doing fine, and so are you. I think you very well could be correct about the cold winter. And also, if he was in an aviary or pet shop with other birds, sometimes the birds will not let others eat like they should, due to being dominant over some of them. Usually, it is best to give them plenty of seed in the feeder, because seed does have a lot of waste to it. Each. seed is cracked by the beak, and the outside chaff, discarded. I have homed budgies for years, and they love to eat. So, in my view, all is going well for you right now! Congrats!

Remove Ads