where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Java sparrow not eating enough

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Natalie
    Thanks

Java sparrow not eating enough

Recently I've been worried about my Java's health. He seems skinny. He sometimes goes to his cage to eat, other than that he won't eat or drink water as often unless i directly feed it to him (he's 2 years old btw). I switched his food to something more nutritional and slowly have been introducing him to it by mixing it with his old food, he doesn't seem to mind it. I just cant be hand feeding him 24/7. He is also scared of his food bowl so the only way he will not eat from my hand is flat on a paper towel. I think he has some sort of trauma from another bird I rescued and took care of for a short amount of time, causing him to fear his food bowl? Anyone have suggestions on what I should do to help him. (the only food he will eat no problem is millet) (Im not entirely sure he's underweight, he just looks skinnier than before) thank you

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Java sparrow not eating enough

I wished I could help you but honestly I know when my sweet boomer was sick I had to hold food in my hand and let him eat his food out of my hand to sort to bribe him to eat more. It already sounds like you are doing that too. Have you changed his food that you are feeding him? Or maybe try to find other mixes he may like better so he has a variety of foods to eat? I know when Boomer was sick all he ate was millet but I kept trying different foods and found out he loved to eat his seed mix soaked overnight. I would soak a little bit overnight and dry it off and he would gooble it down. I also sprouted it out for a few days and cleaned it really good and fed it to him for only a few days and threw out what he did not like. Sprouts turn bad quickly so I never kept them for more then a few days and always kept them in the refrigerator after a day of soaking them and letting the seeds get a tiny tail on them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Java sparrow not eating enough

Hi and Welcome to the community. Have you considered taking Java to an avian vet? Birds are very good at hiding illnesses and perhaps a vet can do a gram stain, blood work etc, to see if there is anything out of sorts. I recommend you doing so. I wish I could give more solid advice on sparrows, I only feed the wild ones sunflower hearts at my bird feeder.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Remove Ads