Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bird safe way too get rid of ants

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Bird safe way too get rid of ants

Ohhh no.... we've got ants. In the house.

HELP!

Seriously. - anyone know any ways I can get rid of the blighters without putting my lovebird or budigie at risk?
    And yes - they got into the living room too which is where the fids are

I used vinegar and water in the conservatory - and seem to have driven them INTO the house - bugger!!!!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Re: Bird safe way too get rid of ants

Ohhh No Helen!! I don't like ants either.

How about that sticky fly tape or I read somewhere that ants don't like sudsy, soapy water. They don't like crossing it.

I can't recall the mixture we used OUTSIDE at our old home when we discovered a conga line of them coming from our maple tree and into a stress crack by our back door, but hubby used some kind of solution mixed with borax. I will text him and find out for you.. I do know that borax mixture was successful with the sugar ants, but if they are carpenter ants, you may have another problem..

I know you are across the pond, but there is brand of ant killer we used called "Terro" We placed them outside near the back door and it held those little buggers at bay.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Helen,
    Here is a link for the ant killer with Borax:
    https://thegardeningcook.com/testing...ller-remedies/
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

Hi Helen, I'm so sorry you have gotten ants in the house! I'll be following this thread as I have insect and ant issues every summer here, but last year somehow a whole colony made their way into the lounge and kitchen for one day and it was a nightmare. During a normal summer a few might make their way through the kitchen window when I have it open while cooking, but that is it. I'm really dreading the next summer approaching. That day that we had a whole colony, I think we either found a dead insect that they were feasting on or possibly the queen. I literally found a small ball of ants devouring something within the kitchen window. I killed most of them using a cloth and plain white vinegar, as I had read that they dont like vinegar. Although this seems to be doing the opposite for you. Maybe if u use vinegar in the house it will make them go the other way outside? Are you able to keep the birds in another room for a few hours while u spray vinegar? I diluted the vinegar with water. I actually use this mixture to clean the bathroom. Maybe also double check that there is not something dead around that they are feasting on? The day that the colony made its way my partner went around the whole lounge room and kitchen with a ladder and killed them all with a cloth and the vinegar. They were mostly on the ceilings. The birds were in their room though. We also did their room, even though only a few were found in there. But we moved the birds to the lounge (once it was ant free!) for a few hours while doing this. They also stay in the lounge when their room gets vacuumed as well.

When I mentioned my ant problem on one of my threads here (I think the one where I ask for help about my ashu lovebird) I was suggested borax as well. I never got the chance to try this, as after that horrible day, it was just back to the usual couple of ants that get in while the window is open in the kitchen. My partner did use some poison outside diluted with water, but did not use this inside the house. He also did it at night and the next day the wild birds that we get still arrived at sunrise and it didn't affect them. And the ants did go away for awhile. I'll try to check with him today to see what the product is if he still has it.

Also boiling water or ice scattered outside will keep them at bay but only for a day before they make their way back again. I will keep an eye on this thread and really hope the problem is resolved!

Proud Birdie Momma Brand New Egg bbraven's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

If you know where the ants are coming in, draw around the area with chalk. They will try to avoid crossing it. You can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth (DE) around the area. If you make little balls of powdered sugar and baking soda with just enough water to make it roll up, then put those where you see them, they'll eat them and it will kill them. (This works for roaches too) If you can find the ants outside, dump wet coffee grounds on their hills. If they're really bad, pour DE into the hole of the hill. You can also make a spray from water, rubbing alcohol, eucalyptus oil and orange oil. That will kill most household insects, and so long as you don't spray it at your bird or on their toys/cage where they can lick it, it's fine.
    Briana Blair
    ----------------------
    ~ Visit my Homepage ~ See my Art ~ Read my Books ~

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We always used Terro which is the borax/corn syrup mixed together. It is amazing for ants and is non toxic.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads