where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: First-time bird owner!

Name
    Rodrigo
    Thanks

Talking First-time bird owner!

Hi everyone!
    This is actually my second post, but I thought I might "formally" introduce myself and my little budgie. I'm a certified falconer, but never owned a bird of any kind. My dad used to be a bird enthusiast, and actually had a canary but I was way too young. So I decided to get a bird myself. I chose a blue and white budgie, so I decided to call him Lionel Messi, since its the colors of the Argentine jersey.
    We've been together for exactly a week today, and he's still very shy. I managed to hand-feed him for the first time a couple of days ago. At night when I get home from work I open his cage and put some food at the entrance to stimulate him to come out. He just loves to fly around in my room, and to perch in my monitor and in the ventilator fan. My new alarm in the morning is of budgies chirping, so I've been waking up everyday with his chirps and I just love it!
    For now he's still a bit afraid of my hands and doesn't let me anywhere near him with them. But he slowly seems to be getting a bit more confidence and trust in me. My mom said he only chirps when I'm home and after he hears my voice. I'm considering about getting him company, another male, in green and yellow who I'll call Zico! I hope they'll get along and make each other happy!

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: First-time bird owner!

You are doing well with the budgie you recently got. The progress is very good. Budgies are easy to get along with and you seem to understand them. I have had several budgies over the years. 2 of them were super birds and also they both lived a long time.

I have seem Falcond at times in San Francisco. One block away from me a Falconer used to live. I remember the large glove he wore.Mostly Red Tailed Hawks around where I live. Great at catching mice. Owls at nighttime in park near where I live. I like Raptors. Watch them when I can. Hope you enjoy this group. Welcome

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Welcome. And I love your city. One of my favorite places to visit.

You seem to be making great progress with Lionel Messi. I suspect you know this already, but just in case--if you do get him a budgie comrade, the new bird should be quarantined in a separate room from Lionel for at least 30 days. Longer is even better. Beyond being able to monitor any health issues, this will also give you time to bond with the new guy which goes so much better when you can be one-on-one with the bird, as you are now discovering with Lionel.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, Rodrigo! Welcome to you and your budgie!

Name
    Rodrigo
    Thanks

Guys
    he just escaped. I let him out of the cage to exercise. But the strong wind opened the window, and he flew away. Couldn't even see to which way. I'm devastated, can't express how sad I am right now.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Awww!!! I am so very sorry this happened. I am sending you hugs. Do not feel guilty, because there are many bird owners, at one time or another who have had this happen. Accidents like this do happen. When possible, go and get another budgie. That will help to ease your sadness.

It is a good idea to have blinds and or curtains on windows when they are out of cage, and a small room, is also best. Budgies are as fast as lighting.

Keep a watch out around your home, up in the trees, bushes, shrubbery, etc. Being cold weather there, he will probably seek shelter in a bush, or sonething on the ground. Go outside and call for him on occasion. Put some of his seed in a bowl and place it outside your front and back door. Even if outside birds come to eat it, he might join them. Since he does know your voice, call for him often!

Make a butterfly net, or buy one, so if you see him, catch him that way. We will watch for updates.

Remove Ads