where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Budgie Panting/Breathing Faster

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

Exclamation New Budgie Panting/Breathing Faster

Hi everyone, I am brand new to Tailfeathers! And I need a little advice.

I recently adopted/rescued two budgies from a humane society. They had been there two months, and before that somebody had thrown them in a dumpster. They look healthy to me, and the shelter also said they were healthy to the best of their knowledge. Their feet are smooth, eyes and ceres clear with no discharge, vents look okay, feathers are fine, and they are grooming, making sounds, hopping from perch to perch, and will eat. So far they have only eaten millet, and I have yet to see them touch water, seed, or pellets. They would not touch the millet that was partially in the seed dish. I know that it can take a few days for them to do that, so I'm not worried for now. They also seem petrified of me; they would not fly out of their travel cage into the big cage, so I had to catch them (big freak out) and place them there. They freeze when I come in the room, and avoid my hand at all costs when I put it in the cage to do something like change water. I know they'll eventually come around.

I am kinda worried about one of the birds though. I have owned budgies before, but it has been a decent 10 years and I don't remember some stuff. One bird is panting and breathing just a little faster than the other. It was hot yesterday (both panting at 80 degrees) but feels better today (only one panting at 75-77). The room seems comfortable. Maybe one is just more sensitive to heat than the other? I am afraid of him being sick or something though. He sits there "idling" I guess you could call it, but there is not really any significant tail bobbing. The other only idles very slightly and seems okay to me. I am not sure what they do when I am not around. Could it be that he does it because he's afraid of me?

Also, his beak is darker looking than the other's. Maybe I can get a pic on here soon. It is smooth and clear though, with no crust or discharge. Is it okay?

Please help! We will be making a vet appointment very soon anyway to get a baseline on them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: New Budgie Panting/Breathing Faster

Hi, and welcome. In my view, it could be getting used to another new home. Budgies and all birds are super intelligent, and I feel they remember events that happened before you got them. To be thrown into a dumpster, is one of the most heart wrenching and awful thing I have read about birds, and it could be, that coming to your home, those feelings have come back to the one, more than the other. And he is very fearful. Budgies and all birds do hide their illnesses very cleverly, so, I recommend a vet check wellesses exam for them both asap! We will watch for updates. It was very kind of you to adopt them. If you notice he is not eating or drinking at all, is all puffed up, lethargic, any discharge from the nares, or very runny or watery poops, sits on the cage floor, or cannot perch, call the vet at once. The breathing heavy could very well be respritory or bacterial infection.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-19-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Ellen has given you superb advice and, like her, I'm wagering this is all about the adjustment process. And good for you, rescuing these two budgies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julia
    Thanks

Thank you for the advice! I feel like a really nervous semi-new bird owner than anything I guess.
    They still look very healthy to me and they are settling in much better. They started eating out of the seed dishes! And are curious about everything outside the cage.
    Birds:
    Pete, Budgie (Blue)
    Pluto, Budgie (Blue)

Remove Ads