where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: pellets and seed

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

pellets and seed

Hi!
    I have my birds on Littles Grassland Blend and I have recently purchased Lafeber's Parakeet Pellets

I think LGB is the best seed blend out there. Its made at Marden's Arc bird rescue by the owner of the rescue who has been formulating the blend for 10 years. It contains multiple kinds of seed, bits of fruits and veggies, and sprouted qionoa. Its all natural which is a huge plus for me. But I know seed isnt a complete diet so thats why I got the pellets. I've heard that pellets have a lot of artificial vitamins and stuff and isnt the best for my birds but I was wondering if thats really true. I know the pellets cant be all natural but the box says they contain natural ingredients.

These are the ingredients listed on the Lafebers website: Ground Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Flour, Oat Groats, Cane Molasses, Dried Whole Egg, Canola Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Iodized Salt, Citric Acid (A Natural Preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Copper Lysine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Mixed Tocopherols For Freshness, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Here are the ingredients in Littles Grassland Blend: Canary Seed, * Oat Groats, Hemp Seed, * Sprouted Tri-color Quinoa, * (NOW SPROUTED) Hulled Millet, * Sprouted Buckwheat, * Soft White Winter Wheat, Nyjer Seed, * Fennel Seed, * Cumin, * Nigella Sativa, * Mixed Sesame Seed (black/natural), * Chia Seed, * Flaxseed, * Caraway, * Dill Seed, Dehydrated Seasonal Vegetables, Dehydrated Herbs and Greens, * Milk Thistle Seed, * Anise Seed, * Coriander Seed, * Chamomile, * Calendula Flower, Nut Blend (a proprietary blend of ground almonds, pistachios, walnuts, brazil nuts, pepitas), * Rose Petals, * Raspberry Leaves cut and sifted, * Lavender Flowers (* = organic ingredients)

The seed blend is all natural but the pellets are not. I have heard some people say they would never give their birds pellets! But that confuses me because these pellets are vet-approved and recommended.

Can someone tell me what all of this stuff means?
    Rest in peace, Earl-ly bird

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: pellets and seed

This is one of the big divides in the budgie world and you will hear strong opinions on both sides about seeds vs pellets and the pluses and minuses of each.

i was down on pellets for many years because of the preservatives and color dyes among other things.

As you've already noted not all seed mixes or pellet brands are created equal. I didn't become a pellet advocate until I discovered Harrisons, which is 100% organic and has no preservatives. My avian vet suggested it and told me he had many serious bird-folk have excellent results with it. Well, I'm a convert. The only downside is that without preservatives its shelf life isn't all that long (I keep mine in the frig), but they make packages small enough to accommodate this if you have only one or two birds. I've been astounded by the results and how quickly I could see the difference. And the budgies' overall health and well-being has been stellar. And ironically, I see the vet who introduced me to Harrisons a lot less frequently!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The bird seed mix sounds great! So many really good things in it. We use TOPS (Totally Organic Pellets) and love them. It has all good ingredients and all our family birds love them. They make it in the valley below us here so we can get it locally. If you order it off Amazon it saves you the huge shipping fee the TOPS company charges.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Laila
    Thanks

The seed mix looks great. I am not too sure about a lot of the ingredients as well, but they all sound like they are natural. I especially like that canary seed is the first ingredient in the list, as I have heard its very healthy, along with oats. The pellets look similar to most pellet brand ingredients. Perhaps do not give them only pellets or just give them a little bit to start with in addition to their seeds? That way if they eat it, they will get a bit of vitamins, but not be overloaded with it either. The seed mix looks similar to the Trill brand down here. We buy our seed mix in bulk from a brand called Seedhouse which is locally made in Tasmania, and is really good quality, but also very basic without added stuff. Which is fine, sometimes just basic without added things is good. I think there is an online pet shop down here that sells some American brands of pellets so I might see if I can purchase one and try giving it to the lovebirds. While most vets will say pellets should be the main food that birds should eat, I prefer to prioritise seeds, as that's what they eat naturally and in the wild, but I do not mind trying to add pellets now in addition to seeds.

I think there is a lot of debate about whether to feed pellets or not. I give pellets to some of my birds, but not all. Mostly because, not all of them will eat it. Sometimes I will give everyone pellets on a random day but ill just sprinkle a little bit only and ensure they have another bowl that's only seeds so they dont feel like they are stuck with seeds that have pellets mixed in.

The first time I tried to give my lovebirds pellets, they would not touch it. So I did not bother to try after that, as I knew they ate their vegetables anyway. This was around 2.5 years ago. Then one of our conure's, Nico, was unwell in November last year, and I used an online American avian vet to get some help until I could get to a local vet and they mentioned pellets as part of their diet, so we randomly decided to try to give some to the conures and they went crazy for it. It's as if they used to eat it with their previous owners or something. They really loved it and we think it saved Nico's life with all the vitamins, along with their regular seeds, vegetables, warmth and lots of rest.

Since I'm in Australia we really only have one or two brands of pellet products. I think they are passwell and vetafarm. We use Vetafarm as its designed by vets. We use one that is labelled "for South American parrots" for our conures, and another which just says "maintenance pellets" and they are smaller in size and suitable for small to medium birds so that one is given to everyone, as well as the conures. I also always give fresh vegetables and fruits regularly to ensure the ones that dont eat pellets get some nutrition. I think they still get nutrition from some of their seeds though. Pellets are man made, so many might say its not natural, but maybe a little bit will provide added vitamins.

Name
    Amber H
    Thanks

The way I have introduced them is with a 2/3 seed and 1/3 pellet blend. So far I can not tell what they are eating at what they arent. The seed mix they eat doesnt leave a lot of hulls so oftentmes I cant even tell how much theyve eaten through the day. I guess I'll just see how it goes, but does anyone know how I can start measuring their consumation?
    Rest in peace, Earl-ly bird

Remove Ads