Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mirrors and peeping non stop

Thanks

Mirrors and peeping non stop

Recently, Mochi has started to peep a lot. It's the kind of peep when a tiel wants attention, but it doesnt matter how much I talk to him or try to interact, he ignores me and keeps peeping. He always has water and food available so I really have no idea what he wants.
    This started once he started to look at himself on mirrors. They're everywhere in my house and he likes to fly to them whenever he gets the chance. At first I wasn't bothered, because he didn't show any kind of hormonal behaviour, but it's starting to worry me a bit.
    I will be getting a new cockatiel in a few months, and I'm wondering if that will solve the problem. Any ideas or suggestions?

(By the way, Mochi is a one year old male and the new tiel is a baby male. He'll be about 2 months old when I get him)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Mirrors and peeping non stop

Hi, and welcome back. Mochi has arrived in puberty, and is displaying hormonal behavior. This does happen at about a year old. He most probably will molt feathers as well. At a year old he will replace all of his baby feathers, with adult feathers.

Quite honestly, if it were me, I would cover the mirrors, because mirrors often encourage their hormones. I also would not use mirrors in his cage. If he has them, I would remove them, and replace them with toys, and also, try giving him some millet. You can buy millet sprigs in the petshop, and hang one in his cage, or break one into small pieces and let him eat on a plate, or in a cup. Millet is a great greet!!

Hormone time is difficult for him, and for you. Do not be surprised if he starts biting, or flies all over, while out of cage, even trying to dive bomb toward your head. I would increase his night sleeping hours to about 10-12, and also not feed soft foods or eggs oif any kind. These encourage hormone behavior. When he starts biting, or gets aggressive, return him to his cage.

Also, if it were me, I would wait a few months before getting him a friend, as you mrntioned, and let him get through this hormone time. It usually lasts a few weeks. He might also do more whistling and flock calling at this time. So the peeping he is making is normal. And when you do get him a friend, I recommend a male, so you do not have to deal with eggs, and one that is about his age. I would be concerned of getting one so young as 2 months, or a few months old. I think you have a better chance of success with two, if they are about the same age.

We will welcome your updates anytime. And also your questions and or concerns.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-23-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks

Hi, thank you for the reply! I had not realized this was a kind of hormonal behavior! Mochi has molted into his adult feathers quite some time ago though. He's one year and a half old already.
    He never had mirrors in his cage, simply because bird toys are super expensive, so I've been making my own.
    As for millet, he always gets some. I have a bag full of millet seeds that i just sprinkle around my desk for him when he's being a good boy c:
    Mochi only bites when he's close to a mirror, he did dive bomb my mom once, and he's flying a bit more than usual
    He always gets about 12 hours of cage time in the night, so I'm assuming that is already good c:
    I'm only feeding him seeds and pellets with a bit of that flour thing that has all the nutrients he needs. I don't know the name of that in english, but I can send a picture if you'd like

The new tiel is already mine though, I already bought him and will have to pick him up once he is old enough. I intended to keep them both separated in different cages in different parts of the house until Mochi's hormones calm down and until the new tiel is used to me. Then I will put their cages in the same room to let them see and get to know each other, and will put the cages closer if things are going well c: I talked to the breeder as well and she told me it will most likely be alright. Also, if they don't get along, I can keep them in separate cages c:

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

The peeping is harmless enough. The mirrors could be a way your bird has found to occupy his time. I had a a bird that turned to mirrors after his bird buddy passed. I think all will be fine when you bring the 2 month old birdie home. But due often keep an eye on it to be sure.

Remove Ads