Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lutino Cockatiel have injuries to his wings.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Lutino Cockatiel have injuries to his wings.

Hello Guys,

Hope you and all your birds are doing well.

I am opening this thread due to specific reasons.

yesterday my Male lutino Cockatiel (Yashree) injured on his wings due to night frights. Though I am taking all the precautions, he got injuries due to night frights. He is a son of Sweety(for her I created another thread year ago). She has the same injuries. I am trying to recover her till date. most of the part of her feathers is recovered but seems she has some more tissue damages.

Well coming to my main point, What I observed is lutino has some special feather issue I guess. Because there is some other cockatiel as well in the cage, like pied normal gray, etc. but the only lutino has injuries.

Guys can you share your knowledge that is it true or false and what steps should be taken to cure these things. Also please share whether lutino's skin is softer than any other mutations or not?

I just need to make them calm and cured.

Thank you, guys.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 1,253 Posts

Re: Lutino Cockatiel have injuries to his wings.

I hope your Yashree recovers quickly. One thought I would share would be to be sure your flock has plenty of calcium. The bones need to be strong. However, a night fright can definitely cause injury, or even death, even when a bird is in excellent health. In my many years as a forum member here, I do not recall any posts of Lutinos having this happen, more than other mutations. It could be the two you had that were injured could be more attuned to their surroundings, and get startled easier.

We will look for updates. If need be, contact your breeder and see what they think you should do.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I too hope Yashree is going to heal quickly and not be like your sweet girl Sweety. I agree night frights are a scary thing and sometimes the poor birds can really hurt themselves. A good source of calcium is egg shells, I hard boil a egg and then crush up some of the shell and mix it with the crumbled boiled egg. Boomer use to love it. I think it might make females hormonal so be careful. We have only owned boys here so never had to worry about eggs and hormones so much. Manu clay blocks are also really good for calcium but may be hard to find where you live.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Hello Guys,

Update here,

Sorry for the late update on the post.

I and my all birds are fighting with big stress. Let me share their conditions and health.

A few days back I was out of the town for ten days and I just gave my birds to one of my friends to be taken care. They kept them in extremely Good environment and condition. But soon after I got them back. Yashree was inactive. Though I always check them and notice them if any change in their routine life or not. I found that Yashree's kill bone was clearly visible. I immediately rushed to my breeder friend (she is the only hope and trusted person till the date. Riddhi Trivedi. ). She told me that yashree is in trouble. We started his treatment. He is much more recovered now. Eating well. But still, they are a lot more lethargic. Their potty is dark green, some of them's potty was only white. Some of them have diarrhea (specially yashree).

After a few days, I found that All my cockatiels are lethargic and bit sleepy all day. So I again rushed to my friend, She suggested me Quarantine process for all birds. I immediately started that.

Let's see what happens next. Hope They all can recover their health and activness soon.

Meanwhile, where I gave my birds for a few days, Accidentally one baby of sweety and Shyam was fly away in the room and caught by a fan, and he died immediately :'(.

I am trying my best to make them happy. Please pray for them.

Please share me some herbal food for them as a regular diet so that they will never get this kind of situation. In nature, they are able to find anything that is necessary for them but in case they can't so I want to provide as many as I can.

Thank you, guys.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am so sorry this has happened to your flock. I will say, when birds are left with another person, for a period of time, even though that person is acting as caregiver for them, they do miss you and their normal day to day activities, and often times they do not eat as they normally would. And also, perhaps the home had drafts, that may have caused them to get sick. It really is difficult to know what happened. I admire you for going to your friend for help. I hope all of them will be back to good health soon. And I also am sad for you that one of the babies died. Fly high and free sweet baby, over the rainbow bridge.

As to herbal foods, here in America, one can purchase herbal mixes at the pet shop. Also, on line. I suggest, if you have a computer, search....herbal foods and seeds food cockatiels and other Parrots. You should find some good info on the web.

I will keep your flock in my good thoughts for complete healing. We will welcome updates.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry you lost your baby and really sorry your flock is not well. Losing them is so hard on us and to know it was because he flew into a fan really must make it worse for you. Truly I am sorry and sending you a big "cyber" hug.

There is a great herb salad that I bought for Boomer when he was older and not well and he really did seem to pick out just what he needed from it. It also has all the ingredients in it and tells you what each herb is good for so this just may help you figure out which herbs to buy if you cannot find the herb salad online from where you live. This is the companies website, http://www.twinbeaksaviary.com/herbsalad.html I really do hope you can buy it from where you live. I also recommend if your birds like spray millet get them some because it is very easy on there sore insides and easily digested. I know your friend who helped you with your Sweety will also have many great ideas to help your flock out. I wonder if maybe it was airborne fumes of some sort at the house they all were at that may have caused them to be distressed and get ill? Or something that was fed that possibly was not good but whatever it was I really do hope your flock will be strong and get well for you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    I am so sorry this has happened to your flock. I will say, when birds are left with another person, for a period of time, even though that person is acting as caregiver for them, they do miss you and their normal day to day activities, and often times they do not eat as they normally would. And also, perhaps the home had drafts, that may have caused them to get sick. It really is difficult to know what happened. I admire you for going to your friend for help. I hope all of them will be back to good health soon. And I also am sad for you that one of the babies died. Fly high and free sweet baby, over the rainbow bridge.

As to herbal foods, here in America, one can purchase herbal mixes at the pet shop. Also, on line. I suggest, if you have a computer, search....herbal foods and seeds food cockatiels and other Parrots. You should find some good info on the web.

I will keep your flock in my good thoughts for complete healing. We will welcome updates.
    Thank you so much Maxollie. Yes, you are right they do miss regular activities. Hope they will get well soon

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I am sorry you lost your baby and really sorry your flock is not well. Losing them is so hard on us and to know it was because he flew into a fan really must make it worse for you. Truly I am sorry and sending you a big "cyber" hug.

There is a great herb salad that I bought for Boomer when he was older and not well and he really did seem to pick out just what he needed from it. It also has all the ingredients in it and tells you what each herb is good for so this just may help you figure out which herbs to buy if you cannot find the herb salad online from where you live. This is the companies website, http://www.twinbeaksaviary.com/herbsalad.html I really do hope you can buy it from where you live. I also recommend if your birds like spray millet get them some because it is very easy on there sore insides and easily digested. I know your friend who helped you with your Sweety will also have many great ideas to help your flock out. I wonder if maybe it was airborne fumes of some sort at the house they all were at that may have caused them to be distressed and get ill? Or something that was fed that possibly was not good but whatever it was I really do hope your flock will be strong and get well for you.
    Thank you, Deanna. Thanks for the suggestion of the herb salad. You gave me earlier also, but i lost the link. I will try to find as many herbs as i can find here in my city.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Update

Hey Guys,

Hope you and your birds are doing well.

Here, in India, Moonsoon season is going on. My Flock is suffering from some kind of illness. Let me update you one by one.

1) Kali, Hashree & Aja all are doing very well. They have no illness, pretty much active and enjoying.

2) My Budgies are also doing great and enjoying.

3) Shyam & Sweety: Sweety is doing great. She had injuries to her wings again but she recovered so fast. She is on the molting period, so daily she is getting new feathers. . Shyam was in trouble before 1 week. Actually, he was pretty much active and enjoying a lot of time with a sweety after so many days. But I made a mistake . I gave him hemp seed to eat. I gave about 30-40 gms of seeds to eat. And he ate them all. After that, he was in trauma and not eating well. I immediately rushed to my Friend Riddhi and told her whole case. She scolds me a lot. yes that was my mistake to give such seeds in too much amount. After that, we started giving him all the things that will bring him back from that situation. He is recovering so fast. He started hopping again and pretty much active nowadays. I am waiting for his complete health recovery. Praying For his life.

4) Yashree: He is recovering but didn't understand why he is not eating well. He has some stomach issue. We finished his quarantine process as per My Friend's suggestion. Now I am giving him a liver tonic. His potty is very green. I give electrolyte powder mix in the water daily. Also, I always put a 100W bulb on his cage to give him warmness. here is a pic of his potty.

Please give your suggestions and opinion on the Yashree and Shyam's situation. If I can do anything better for them.

Thank you, guys.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

In my view, hemp is marijuana, and more than likely your bird got an overdose of it. I would not ever give hemp of any kind to my birds. In your fair country, you have an abundance of herbs. Years ago I learned that they are very pure, and I know in adults can cause overdose, if too big of dose is taken. If you are going to feed herbs, I suggest you feed very small amounts, and take different ones, chop them fine, and add a tiny bit to some seed mix, in a separate cup from their regular seed cup.

Quite honestly, I think feeding a good quality seed mix, with no fillers, and no pellets, and adding a few drops of a good quality bird vitamin, about every ten days, along with fresh leaf lettuce, kale, cilantro, broccoli, ( except do not feed broccoli or any cabbage family veggies to budgies because they can get espohagal tumors from them,) and also whole wheat bread pieces, which you should be able to find there, will be the fastest and best way to bring them back to good health. I am from the o!d school, so to speak, and for me, those tried and true standard methods are the best. I also always give my birds bottled pure water every day.

I do not like the looks of the poop. I see hardly any white in it, which indicates to me, it could be kidney disease, or issues. What does your friend say about the poop?
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    In my view, hemp is marijuana, and more than likely your bird got an overdose of it. I would not ever give hemp of any kind to my birds. In your fair country, you have an abundance of herbs. Years ago I learned that they are very pure, and I know in adults can cause overdose, if too big of dose is taken. If you are going to feed herbs, I suggest you feed very small amounts, and take different ones, chop them fine, and add a tiny bit to some seed mix, in a separate cup from their regular seed cup.

Quite honestly, I think feeding a good quality seed mix, with no fillers, and no pellets, and adding a few drops of a good quality bird vitamin, about every ten days, along with fresh leaf lettuce, kale, cilantro, broccoli, ( except do not feed broccoli or any cabbage family veggies to budgies because they can get espohagal tumors from them,) and also whole wheat bread pieces, which you should be able to find there, will be the fastest and best way to bring them back to good health. I am from the o!d school, so to speak, and for me, those tried and true standard methods are the best. I also always give my birds bottled pure water every day.

I do not like the looks of the poop. I see hardly any white in it, which indicates to me, it could be kidney disease, or issues. What does your friend say about the poop?
    Thank you so much for your input Eilen.

Yes by mistake it overdosed. But now Shyam is out of danger and Same the yashree. Thank God they recovered from the hemp seed overdose.

Right now the Yashree has some issues. After her Quarantine process, he was ok and his poop seems fine. But yesterday again he got the same poop problem. I immediately rushed to my Friend and she cleaned his vent and also clear some feathers so that poop can't stick to that area. But he is not eating right now. I just handed him. I am giving everything like sprouts, wet oats, seed mix (contains niger, Foxtail millet, canary seeds, Oats, red and yellow millets, etc.) She found that she might have a bacterial infraction. he is under observation. Tomorrow I have again appointment with her.

Right now I am giving him yest-O-Care and broton syrup (3 drops in the bowl of 300ml.) but I am not getting why he is not eating and why he has the sticky potty.

Can you guys give me your opinion and any treatment that I can do at home?

Thank you again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am interested to hear what your friend says about it. I wonder if there is some special meds for the overdosing. Maybe the whole body needs to be cleansed of the hemp with some meds. We will watch for your updates. I pray Yashree will be healed.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The hemp seeds do not contain the THC to make them overdose but too many of them might not be the best thing for them. Boomer use to pick the hemp seeds out of his seed mix first and then he would go for the safflower seeds. I would think just like sunflower seeds too many of them wouldnt be too good for them because of the high fat in them though. It would be like a bird devouring safflower seeds only, just too much fat in them. Perhaps the hemp wasnt sterilized and it had something in it that wasnt good for him. I do hope you birds will be healthy soon.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Premal
    Thanks

Update

I went to my friend. She said He is completely out of danger from hemp seed overdose now. Just we need to take care of him extra. I am giving him everything like every seeds and food too but still, he is not eating anything. So I force feed him . Hope he will start eating his own way.

He might have a bacterial infection. I am giving him all the medicines and everything that he needs. I hope and pray that he will get well soon. I am feeling so down

here are some of him pics clicked yesterday.

Note: I cleaned perch and his cage after clicking those pics. I always clean his cage and so others.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

For being through what he has, I think he looks good. His bum looks very nasty though. The meds probably are causing that because all of the infection will be coming out in the poop. He is sooooo beautiful and precious.

I hope you will never give him any more hemp seed, or marijuana of any kind at all!. You know, here in America there is a big push now for marijuana to be approved for recreational use by humans. I studied and am certified in addictions, and found that marijuana totally fries a persons brain. We have millions of people here that will be dying an early death, and never live a life of possible many, many years, due to their addiction to it, and there denial that it is damaging their brain and body. No matter whether it is THC, or cannabis, or raw marijuana in leaves that are smoked, it is addictive, and deadly.

It is no wonder your beautiful little bird is healing so slowly. Listen to your vet friend, and hopefully, she will bring him back to good health. And do not lose heart.I suggest boiling some white rice. Cool it, mash it, and give him some in an eye dropper, or on a small baby spoon, about twice a day.Rice is known to be medicinal and healing.

We will watch for updates! Sending hugs to you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-18-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Remove Ads