Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think my tiel hates me now

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Think my tiel hates me now

This is Dale. I got him last Tuesday. Dale *hates* me now. He was pretty chill at first but when he didn't want to go to bed, I tried to towel him. Unsuccessfully. Turns out he's much stronger than budgies and can simply walk out from under it.

Anyway, I finally caught him and got him back into his cage. He was squealing and screaming like crazy the whole time. Scared my kids. You'd think I was murdering him.

Then I found blood on the walls.

I tried to wrap him again so I could see if he was still bleeding and if it was a blood father. I had to literally tear apart his cage. He escaped again so I ended up doing the same cat and mouse. He screamed some more. Couldn't find any sign of bleeding so I'm a little confused.

Anyway, pretty sure he'll forever hate me now. I read somewhere that cockatiels don't forget things and will hold grudges.

The budgies are so much easier.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: Think my tiel hates me now

Time and patience will win him back, but you need to take it very slowly. For the next few days, do not attempt to handle him, nor let him out of cage for free fly. Observe him carefully for any signs of bleeding from anywhere in his body.

In my view, it is a good idea to have birds in a small room, with the blinds pulled, or curtains pulled, no mirrors on walls or anywhere in the room, and shut the door. The bird needs to learn what it is to fly all over, since more than likely, he has never been out fkying free. Further, when out of cage, their are many dangers for them. Electric cords, appliances, falling behind them, getting electricuted, hitting walls, etc. Cockatiels have very strong wings. They also are intelligent. After the few days I mentioned above, get some millet sprigs, and carefully open cage door, and extend your arm, and offer him some millet on top of the sprig. Also, put some small pieces in a cup in his cage. Millet is a favorite treat for them.

Sit by his cage and talk to him softly. Eat a snack while sitting there. Play the Disney channel, or cartoons on TV. Tiels love kids voices and also love music. Play CDs or a radio for him.

I suggest getting or making a butterfly net to catch him. They are much easier than towels, and will not be as difficult. No bird likes to be toweled.

I hope this info is of help to you. If he is not eating or drinking, is lethargic, all puffed up, or not responding at all, you need to call an Avian vet, and take him in for a wellness check. We will watch for updates.

Do not lose heart. He will be more trusting of you before too long.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-29-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you. Yeah, he hasn't been a fan of me since then. He did get into the budgie cage somehow and wouldn't come out so he spent the night there. But that was only once. His wings were clipped when I got him so I was very surprised. Once he came out, I've taken steps to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They can still navigate well with wings clipped, if the tech who trimmed them was knowledgable and just took slight length off the wing flights. Evern with wings clipped, a bird can fly, and if they do escape they can fly a short distance, and still get lost.

I think he will become your good friend in time. We will welcome updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He's starting to sing but I'm not sure if he's singing to me or the budgies. He's also accepting millet from my hand. He doesn't seem to eat as much as I thought but I can't compare him to 4 budgies and his droppings are pretty consistent. Can you tell me what mutation he is? Whiteface? Pied? Pearl? I only think he's male because his leg bracelet is on his right leg.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is a cutie and its sad but sometimes we have to do things to them that really make them mad at you. One good thing about birds is they really dont hold grudges for long and a nice piece of millet is usually the best way to get them to be your friend again. It had to be scary to see blood and not be able to find where it came from and hopefully whatever it is was taken care of by him either plucking the broken feather out or it was a small cut that healed up. My daughters conure broke a blood feather way down by his skin and it bled like crazy. Luckily his vet was able to get it out because we sure couldn't. Seeing blood all over the place is such a scary thing to see.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! I love him. I would say he is a white faced cinnamon pied. The word pied means several different feather co!ors. The pictures to me show the cinnamon colors, rather than standard gray feathers which you will see in many pied tiels. When he has his first year molt, all of his baby feathers will be replaced by adult feathers, and I think he will be even more beautiful then. I love the cinnamon mutation. I see no pearls on him. There are also cinnamon pearl pied. The pearls usually signal female. At a year o!d molt, a female pearl will keep the pearls. If a male, and he does have pearls, he will lose them at the annual molt.

He is doing much better now, and I think he is going to be great company for you and the budgies. Encourage him to sing and talk. Just whistling a tune like Andy Griffith, Tequila, or Mickey Mouse song, to name a few, over and over again, will get him to start whistling his own rendition, but usually you can tell what song it is. Sane for words. . repeat them often. Also, play Seaseme Street TV for your birds! Mine love it!

We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-08-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Do keep us up to date on how you and this new Cockatiel are doing. It sounds like it will be fun to follow. And hope you and

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Averlus View Post
    He's starting to sing but I'm not sure if he's singing to me or the budgies. He's also accepting millet from my hand. He doesn't seem to eat as much as I thought but I can't compare him to 4 budgies and his droppings are pretty consistent. Can you tell me what mutation he is? Whiteface? Pied? Pearl? I only think he's male because his leg bracelet is on his right leg.
    Dale is beautiful. The only sure way to determine the gender of a cockatiel is through a blood test. The vets call it a DNA test. By looking at your tiel, I would say that Dale is a whiteface pied.

It sounds to me that Dale is still adjusting to his new environment. Please be patient,, It took mine almost 5 weeks and now he is Mr. Social Butterfly.. There are days we can't shut him up. Time is on your side, take advantage of it.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Dale is progressing nicely. He sings more and will approach when you talk to him but he's still not interested in physical contact. I did manage to get him to perch on my finger for the first time yesterday by tricking him and distracting him with millet. That trick has only worked once. I tried to do it again today but he clamped down where he was and wouldn't step up for me. I almost accidentally knocked him down off his wood perch because he was gripping it so tightly. His grip was surprisingly strong. I was expecting something more like budgies but obviously that was an incorrect assumption.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are very, very strong birds. Just keep on trying. Here is an idea. Take a wooden dowel, or even an unsharpened pencil. Have the millet sprig in your hand. Take the pencil and gently place it right above his feet, horizontally, and push gently on his tummy area. Tell him...step up. That will cause him to step up on the perch. Then, let him eat millet off the top of the sprig, and praise him...good boy, Dale. Repeat this exercise a few times a day. Soon, he will obey the comand and will be stepping up. Then, try the exercise with your finger.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-07-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Hope you and your new tiel get along better with time. Both need to try to get along with each other.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Does your cage have a door that he can just walk out on? I would try putting some millet on the door an let Dale come out on it's own. I would also suggest sitting by Dale to get his curiosity going would be helpful. Just like people, each tiel has it's own personality. Some adjust faster than others. Tango my cockatiel was very stubborn at first. We let him adjust at his pace and not ours. We were the ones who had to earn his trust. What helped for me was playing youtube videos of other cockatiels.. perhaps you can try that. The one that broke the ice for us was "cockatiel singing If your Happy If you know it"..
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Ruby
    Thanks

hi Averlus your feather baby is adorable...
    i don't know if this will work for you but with mine i put some millet on my palm and sat there resting my palm on the perch as close as she would let me and slowly moved it closer and closer until she ate out of my palm once she did that for a couple of days i moved the seed near m wrist and only the tips of my fingers on the perch until she stepped on my hand.. mine was young and wanted attention not all birds have the same personality kinda like us lol.. i hope you bond soon it sounds like you will

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Still trying! He's still pecking, biting, and hissing but he's learned a bit of target training in that he learned if he touches a pencil eraser, he gets a treat!

Remove Ads