where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgies egg cracked but is not fully damaged

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

Exclamation My budgies egg cracked but is not fully damaged

So my Female, Luna, and her mate, Narwhal, have had their first successful egg. i've seen them mate numerous times. its been 4 days since the egg was laid and she hasn't laid another one. up until this afternoon, she hasn't went to the nesting box. i decided to check it and the egg looked fine, but there was a little drainage on the floor. i had these little ramps to make a concave in the center of the nesting box and i think the accidentally cracked the egg on it. now its a small hole and it isnt draining when i tilt the egg or anything. i don't know what to do but she hasn't laid another egg. i'm really upset over this. should i cover the crack and hope for the best with something? what should i cover it with if so? or should i let nature of the egg take its course...

thanks for reading this and possibly answering anything helps.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: My budgies egg cracked but is not fully damaged

When an egg is even cracked very slightly, it will not hatch. In time I suspect it will begin seeping more, and will fully break. I advise removing it, because when it does break, then, you have that to clean out of the box, which will not be good because salmonella from the broken egg can cause death to the parents. There is no way to repair a cracked egg

Eggs should be laid every other day. I am sure, in the future, she will lays eggs again. Anytime there is more than two days between eggs, then, the next egg that is laid is considered to be another clutch\batch of eggs, and you start counting the 21-25 days until hatch of first egg, again.

Budgies do not need any nesting materials or things like the concave ramp yoiu have in the box. The mom takes her beak and shaves tiny pieces of the wood of the center of the box, and uses that for nesting. So, I suggest removing that concave immediately.

We will welcome updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-01-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sam
    Thanks

thanks, i have already removed it. i looked in the egg and noticed that everything from within it had drained out. and i concluded based on the crack that Luna did it herself. its a shame. Ill take the concave out and try again for the future.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Do not lose heart. Budgie hens new to breeding do have some unusual behaviors. So, it is possible she did break the egg. They also can lay eggs while sitting on the perch or while swinging. And those eggs break as well. The nestbox does encourage egg laying and breeding, so leave it in the cage for awhile longer. If an egg is laid out of the box, and is not broken, carefully place it in the nest box.

With budgies the male will not go into the box until the first egg hatches. Hen is very protective of her eggs, and does not want male in box. He will stay on the perches. When first egg hatches, you will see him rush into the box. He willl regurgitate seed he has eaten, to the hen, and then she will feed the babies.

Remove Ads