Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgie recovery

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Budgie recovery

I've made previous posts freaking out about my budgie being sick, but I'm pretty sure I can help him along, so I'll list ways I'm gonna help him, and I would like to know if he might be able to recover. ALSO TGE VET ISN'T AN OPTION, NOT MY CHOICE!

Okay, so I'm keeping him in a smaller room than normal to help keep him warm, I put apple vinegar in the water every few days, supposed to be good for the immune system, I'm leaving lots of time for naps, as well as making sure he eats, and that my other budgie isn't being a complete knob towards him.

I just wanna know if I keep this up, does he have a chance of recovery, cos I'm only off school for 3 more weeks. Also the sickness isn't bad, he's definitely not at deaths door, but at the same time it's very noticeable. Any help is appreciated!

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Re: Budgie recovery

What are the symptoms?

The apple cider vinegar needs to be unfiltered, 'with the mother' which is clearly marked on the bottle. It has a murky color. Bragg's is the most widely used brand. Regular acv, which is clear golden in color, does not have the same benefits. You can give it daily if you change the water daily. But acv is more a preventative than a cure. So knowing what his symptoms are would indicate what the best treatment is.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I hadn't thought of listing symptoms...
    Okay so he is fluffed up basically 100% of the time, he does basically nothing except sleep and eat and occasionally sing, and all in all he just lacks energy, as well as not preening as much. Hope these help.
    Also I am using unfiltered vinegar, probably should've stated that as well.

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Good about the unfiltered acv. Good that he's eating/drinking; not good that he's fluffed up all the time. Do you hear any noise when he breathes? Is there any tail-bobbing? What are you feeding and what if any supplements does he have--i.e. cuttlebone, iodine or mineral block, vitamins etc. Do you see or feel any lumps or swollen areas on his body? Are his poops normal?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

There are no breathing noises or tail bobbing, he just keeps throwing up and won't eat. No lumps either and his poop is green, like it is normally, but they're getting wetter. He's on a seed only diet with cuttlebone and fruits and veggies.

I also just bought some wild bird pellet food. It's called "wild bird hi-energy suet pellets with mealworm". Do you think this would be a suitable good to mush up and force feed him, because I think I'm at that point.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

How old is he? It is possible he may have tumors in his esophagus, or stomach, that are causing him to keep throwing up. To me, this is a red flag that signals something that a vet needs to evaluate. I think vinegar is quite aciduc, and I am thinking it may not be an appropriate remedy, if he is throwing up all the time. I think those pellets and meal worms are not a good idea at all.. Budgies should not be eating wild bird foods. They are parrots, and need parakeet/budgie seeds and or pellets.The puffing up, in m view, is a red flag too.

I agree with Aarron's post.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-14-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Believe me, I wanna talk him too the vet, but my mum doesn't want to and my dad flat out refuses to believe joey is sick, it always has to be something else making him throw up. Also I don't give him vinegar every day, just every 2 or 3. I've also seen that he will eat, but only if its millet or if the food bowl is full. From what I can tell, its just a regular sickness and hopefully not tumors, so I'm hoping if I keep doing what I'm doing, then he will recover, but if it is tumors, then I'm afraid due to my dad being an absolute tool, he probably won't make it...

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    How old is he? It is possible he may have tumors in his esophagus, or stomach, that are causing him to keep throwing up. To me, this is a red flag that signals something that a vet needs to evaluate. I think vinegar is quite aciduc, and I am thinking it may not be an appropriate remedy, if he is throwing up all the time. I think those pellets and meal worms are not a good idea at all.. Budgies should not be eating wild bird foods. They are parrots, and need parakeet/budgie seeds and or pellets.The puffing up, in m view, is a red flag too.

I agree with Aarron's post.
    Do you have any access to Gatorade or pedialyte or any kind of drink with electolytes? Please make sure you get the clear instead of the colored.. Also, Budgies should not be given any suet with pellets and mealworm. Suet is meant for the wild birds, not domestic birds or parrots.

The budgie needs to see a vet.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 08-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

The vomiting is concerning, especially on top of the puffing up suggesting a crop infection or some other systemic infection. I agree with my colleagues. You need a veterinary diagnosis and professional intervention, otherwise the prognosis is not good.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hopefully in managing to talk my mum around into seeing the vet, my dad's the real problem. Also I've figured out that he always throws up after he's eaten, but sometimes randomly. This makes me think that it probably is something to do with his crop or stomach. Also his poop has gone pitch black but still with white. A cause for concern?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes!!!! Black poop means he may be bleeding somewhere inside! Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! He needs a vet!! Right now! Pronto!!!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Good timing then!!! I somehow convinced my parents to see an avian vet tomorrow. Any tips for making the transport easy. I'm taking him in a shoebox with airholes, but my 2 budgies have never really been seperate for more than like 2 minutes, so any help there is also appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The shoe box will be OK. Be sure the lid is taped shut so he cannot escape. He may make some scratching sounds with his toenails, but he should not be too afraid in the box because in the dark, they do not see well. Also, be sure the car is not hot, and that the air conditioner is turned on, but that the cool air vents are not blowing directly on him. If possible, you hold the box, and talk to him, on occasion, especially if he is scratching around. That will help him to know you are right there by him.

I admire you parents for saying yes. Your other budgie should be OK in the cage while you are away. We will watch for your update when you get back home tomorrow.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I agree with everything that Ellen said. Please take her advice. I consider her as the forum "budgie extraordinaire". Your other budgie should be okay. Please let us know how his visit to the vet went. We will all be interested in any updates.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Aaron
    Thanks

Very pleased to hear your parents relented. Good luck at the vet and please do give us an update. Fingers crossed.

Remove Ads