Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budgie recovery

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Budgie recovery

I just got back, and it's looking good. Apparently its a crop/yeast infection which I have medication for, and there should be improvements within 48 hours. I've had to seperate them, which they aren't happy about but doctors orders, however because of how Joey still had some healthy habits, I'm pretty sure the medicine will work.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Thankfully, you got him there in time, and have the meds now to treat him. Budgies are so small, and vulnerable to diseases. Did the vet suggest any special seeds or diet for him?

It is always a good idea to check the seed sack, or the box, to see if there is a "use by date" on it. It is common, on occasion, for old seed to be sold. It could have mold or larvae in it. That sure could cause a crop infection. Also, each day the seed cup needs to be removed, along with the water cup, and washed thoroughly, and all new seed put in the cup. Budgies crack every seed to get the nutrition from it. That leaves chaff mixed in with good seed. That too, could cause illness, because of their saliva remaining in the seed cup. You really will not waste that much seed, changing the cups each day. Water too, can go rancid. I change my birds cups every day, wash them, and rinse them in a little vinegar water.

If you feed fresh veggies or fruits, also rinse them in some cool vinegar water, before feeding to them. We never know where veggies and fruits come from in a store.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-17-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Another suggestion, is to clean the inside and outside of their cage, with a mix of vinegar and warm water. Clean perches too! If there was a toy or toys they play with a lot, chewing on it especially, replace it. Also, clean swings and mirrors. Those items could have the infection germs on them. You do not want the other budgie to get sick too.

And, it is a good idea to store the unused seed in a bag, or container, and put it in the freezer. That keeps mold from forming on the seeds.

I am super happy for you that hopefully, he will be getting better now. Meds sometimes make them more quiet and less active. He should be back to normal soon! (((((Hugs to you, and the budgies)!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-17-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

@pipers mom! Carolyn, thank you for the kind words. Now I know for sure you are super extraordinary in cockatiel care and education. And your vet, Dr.Cappel, is one awesome person as well. Your Tango is a miracle bird as well! Thanks again!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I change the water daily but not the seed so I'll keep that in mind. I also try to clean the perches as best I can, even though they poop all over them, but I only clean the main cage once a month. Also, is it safe for my healthy budgie to feed my ill budgie, cus I decided to let them both out at the same time, cus they were both miserable, and he immediately fed the sick budgie. This isn't a problem right? As far as I can tell the illness isn't contagious...

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Woot!!! I am so happy you took him to the vet and they were able to diagnose what is going on and give you meds to treat it. As usual Maxollie has given you great advice and I think you little bird will be back to normal in no time.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

@ Ellen: as usual, your too sweet. Dr. Cappel taught me so much as did this forum.

Happy to hear that your budgie is going to make a full recovery and your parents relented and decided that a visit to the vet was needed.

Birds are messy and please do your budgies and yourself a favor by cleaning the cage each day and washing his food dishes daily too. It prevents these health concerns to your fids.

Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 08-18-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Okay so good news and terrible news. The good news is, whilst Joey is still being sick, it's definitely less than he used to, but he still does it. Terrible news, he refuses to eat and is now struggling to even stand on the perches. I'm gonna guess this is the part where I buy baby food and force feed him?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure it's the end of the line for him. He refuses to do anything. He can barely walk and his claws are seizing up. I'm sorry I couldn't do more, but I'll try and make his last days are comfortable. I'm certain he's got no fight in him.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! Well, you tried to save him. Keep him comfortable and talk softly to him, and tell him you love him. You did your best to save him.

Watch the other one carefully, and please clean his cage as I suggested, and be sure to always give him clean seeds and water, every single day. And never let poop stay on perches. I use a mix of apple cider vinegar, and water, in a spray bottle, and take a paper towel, and wash off any poop on cages, or anywhere in the cage, every day. I use white paper towels on tlhe cage bottom, and change them every single day.

We will watch for updates. You and your parents at least got him to the vet. I am glad that happened. I do have concern for the other one getting this as well

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I regret to tell you that Joey has passed away. It seemed relatively painless and I was there for him, although it was necessary for me to suffocate him the last few steps, as he started wheezing from the effort of breathing, and I couldn't sit there and listen to it. I showed my other budgie the body, and he seems okay as of now. I want to thank you all for your help and advice, and it's not like I don't have pictures, so I won't forget him any time soon.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

So sorry to hear that your Joey passed away. You did everything possible and even convinced your parents that you needed veterinary intervention. Birds hide there illnesses very well and at least you recognized a problem and reacted to it. Many of us understand you pain on losing a beloved bird.

Fly free over the rainbow bridge Joey!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I too am sorry that Joey passed. Do not feel guilty. When they come to the point of seizing, as he did, in my view, since you did take him to the vet, there was no hope for him to recover from his illness, when he got to that phase.

He is flying free now, over the rainbow bridge, and is happy there with all the little budgies and other birds with him!

I am sending you hugs!!! Your other budgie will miss him. I suggest getting him a small mirror, at the pet shop, and place it on one end of a perch. Budgies love mirrors, and it will be of comfort to him.

We will watch for updates.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My heart hurts for you and I am truly sorry you had to do what needed to be done in the end. No doubt it had to be horrible for you. I am really sorry he did not make it and hopefully whatever it was will not effect your other birds. Hugs to you.

Fly free sweet Joey...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads