where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Oddly Behaving Budgie (Help??)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Audra
    Thanks

Oddly Behaving Budgie (Help??)

So, my boyfriend and I are first time owners of four lovely budgies (2 boys, 2 girls). 3 of our budgies have been pretty typical in their behaviors and habits... but we have 1 budgie who we’re becoming increasingly concerned about

We bought Rami from our local Petco circa early March of this year. She was our third bird (we got our fourth later that week.) Our fourth bird adjusted and made friends with the first two just fine... but... Rami was kind of treated as an outcast from the start.

She didn't seem to mind, so neither did we. However, her mannerisms were quite uncharacteristic of a female budgie. As I’ve read on other forums, and seen from our other female, they tend to be quite aggressive and energetic. Not Rami. Even if our other female tries to fight with her she kind of just takes it (nothing too violent or more extreme than the occasional tiff over food luckily)

She tends to stay in the same spot for extended periods of time and doesn’t play with toys or the other budgies as much. However, she is alert and healthy as we were told at her latest checkup only a week ago.

What we’re most concerned about, though, is how accident prone she is. Ever since we bought her she would tend to fall off perches, seemingly for no reason. We just wrote this off as her being clumsy. However, now that we’ve had all four budgies for a few months and their clipped wings have grown back in (we let them free fly when not in the cage) the other three can fly around with ease. It only took them about a week each to learn. Rami’s wings have since grown back as well (she’s had them for a month or so now) but she just can’t seem to get the hang of it. Her flying is clumsy and she doesn’t know how to land, often resulting in scary crash landings. She also seems unwilling to fly unless prompted (our other birds are all too happy to fly all around at whim.) She hasn’t injured herself until today. She broke a blood feather in a crash landing, but it hasn’t fully come out. We treated it and stopped the bleeding for now, but we know the feather will have to come out.

So that leaves me with two questions. 1: How should we go about removing and caring for her feather without any disasters? And 2: Is this normal? Is she just odd? Or might there be something wrong with her? We love her to pieces and want to ensure her safety, but we aren’t quite sure how because we’re not sure if there’s something wrong with her.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Audra
    Thanks

Re: Oddly Behaving Budgie (Help??)

Update: We’re going to make an appointment with an avian vet because we’re not gonna risk pulling her feathers ourselves.... still curious if she might have something wrong with her, though....

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,248 Posts

That is an awesome decision. Please let us know how the vet visit goes!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Welcome to the community. I read your post and I am happy to hear that your taking your little gal to the vet. My little guy is accident prone especially after having his wings and nails trimmed.. Just an FYI, I do keep this in my home as a "just in case":

https://birdsupplies.com/products/st...er-for-parrots

Cornstarch and flour works too. Styptic pencils are also handy when bird feathers bleed, however, when using the pencil, you need to be extra observant because they could be toxic to your bird.

Please let us know how the visit to the vet went.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you are taking her to the vet as well. My daughters Conure broke a feather way down by his skin and we had to take him to get his pulled out as well. We read they will not get better unless they are pulled.

I would also tell the vet your concerns about Rami as well just so the vet can tell you there thoughts about the way she acts. Hopefully the vet will calm your mind about why she is different then your other birds.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads