where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: my bird died; help for cage mates

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kyla
    Thanks

my bird died; help for cage mates

hi. i don't really know where else to go. crash, my girl, died. she was about 15 years old and im just...lost. she had two cage mates. one of them, pepper, is screaming because he can't see her. i think he knows that she's not just in some other room. i gave her cage mates as much time as i could with her, but they were scared and kept their distance. the other, feathers, isn't eating. i think my question is how do i help get them through this?

i don't know if I'm posting in the right place. i don't know what to do. if anyone could help, at all, in any way, please

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: my bird died; help for cage mates

Hi, Kyla, and welcome to the community. I am so sorry your precious bird has died. Did you see any symptoms of illness in any of them? I recommend you thoroughly clean there cage inside and out with a mix of vinegar and warm water. Clean perches and any toys as well, but if the toys are colored, I would not try washing them because the paint will come off. I suggest replacing toys and if necessary, perches, instead.

if you see any lethargy, being all puffed up, loose, watery poops, not eating or drinking, vomiting, not perching, but sitting on the floor, the two remaining birds would need to see an avian vet asap! If it were me, I would take the two for a wellness check, for peace of mind.

Also, the other two will miss her, and mourn her loss. Keep a close watch on them. Thankfully, they do have each other. That will be of great help, but they definitely may be more quiet, and not eat and drink as usual. And you also need to watch them, as I shared above, for any signs of illness

I am sending you hugs. And I know you were an awesome birdy mom, to have had your bird for 15 years. We will welcome your posts and updates anytime.

Fly high and free sweet little bird!! Over the rainbow bridge.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-19-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very sorry for your loss of your girl. No doubt your other two are going through there own grieving process. I do hope that all of you find a way to feel better over your loss. Losing a bird is hard on our heart and I sure know you never really fully get over the loss of a loved bird. Give your other two lots of attention and together all of you will feel better everyday.

Like Maxollie said hopefully this isn't nothing your other birds can get. Since she was a older bird her body might have just failed on her.

Big hugs to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Seems the other birds in the cage with her know she is gone. The way they are acting now shows that they also really liked her and now, they are missing her. Partly, I would just let them grieve and time will pass. It is nature.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kyla
    Thanks

Hi, sorry for the late-ish reply. Thank you so so much for responding. Before she went, I hadn't noticed anything unusual? Earlier that week, Sunday, I had just gotten back from a trip. I made sure to have a trusted family member come to change their food and water. She was a little quieter that evening I got back, but her energy picked up. I'm having a hard time remembering anything because there was nothing out of the ordinary. She was eating and drinking, moving about normally; not too sluggish or slowly.

The night before she went, she had a night fright incident and was acting more stressed than usual following it. She wasn't calming down & kept hissing with her wings spread. I took her out of the cage and held her for a while. I cuddled her for a half-hour or so. She was more the type to want to sit with you and be pet on her own terms, so if you came to her and started petting her, she'd give you a little bite. She wasn't nipping at me which was odd for her, but not totally unheard of. So she calmed down after holding her, and resumed chirping and gave me a couple of nibbles to stop petting her. So I sat with her for a little longer and put her back in her cage. She settled in okay and went to sit on her favorite perch.

I kept a close eye on her throughout the night, and she was okay. I woke up the next morning and she was playing with one of the toys in her cage. I gently reached my hand out to her a little bit and she squawked to let me know she wasn't interested in being held that moment. She was sitting next to Pepper, and she was normal. She was a sassy bird, and would fly into my room to hang out and come sit on me while I was in the birdroom. I just figured she got spooked and needed some extra help calming down. I have other birds, including her cagemates, and was able to soothe them in a few minutes. I just figured she needed some extra help. Not uncommon or out of the ordinary.

I let her and her cagemates out, went downstairs to make a sandwich for maybe fifteen minutes at the longest. Next thing I know I hear a squawk coming from the bottom stair that leads to the birdroom, and Feathers is down there. I know this is maybe not something some bird owners do, and I understand that it may seem odd to leave your birds unattended while out. But please understand that I've had Crash and Feathers for a very long time. They're older and experienced, and don't get spooked too easily. I keep the door to the bathroom and my bedroom closed, and there aren't really things to get hurt on - no pots, stands, anything sharp/pokey sticking out, etc. They're very graceful fly-ers, along with Pepper.

So I take Feathers, not injured, back upstairs and he flies off on his own accord. And then I look down and see Crash laying on the floor by another cage (not her own), on her back. And I rushed over to her, gently nudged her, but she didn't move. I screamed and went downstairs to get my mom, ran back upstairs, and she's on the ground, hasn't moved. I picked her up and she was still warm, not cold, not cool at all. It was hard to think or process or do anything than just hold her and cry. In the back of my mind, I thought her neck was kind of limp. Looking back, it almost sort of rolled in my hands as I was trying to pick her up. But I don't have experience with losing birds, so I don't know if that maybe when life leaves them, if that's normal. I really can't say for sure. I didn't know if maybe she like, knocked out or something, but her feet didn't wrap around my finger as she has always done and remained the same.

So. It's a few days later, and my head is sort of clearer. Kind of. I'm thinking maybe she could have been sick. She was old, and it could have been something with her heart. I'm still struggling to research on how something like heart disease, heart conditions, etc., affect birds. I've never had reason to believe something was wrong with her internally. That previous night with the night fright, she did have a little broken blood feather. It wasn't gushing or dripping, it was a pretty small area with not a lot of blood and I was able to stop the bleeding. She didn't react too strongly to me when I cleaned her up, showed no signs of injured wings as far as not being able to move or fly normally. It wasn't a super serious injury that made me think further action was needed.

Based on how Feathers was on the bottom step, I can imagine maybe her heart giving out. Maybe she was sitting on the cage where she fell when it happened. She left and fell onto the ground. Maybe it was how she hit the ground that maybe hurt her neck. And it was how she fell over that spooked Feathers. The walls in my home are thin, and I was sitting in the dining room right by the door that leads to the birdroom. I can always hear every chirp, every squawk. I know the sounds they make when they're distressed. I can hear them thrash around their cage if they get spooked, and there was none of that. I'm just dealing with a lot of maybes. Maybe the two were flying and they smacked into each other, and maybe how she landed hurt her neck. I can't say for sure that her neck was broken, it was just limp to where it slightly stuck out a little for me to recall now. I don't mean to be macabre, and I'm so sorry if this is hard to read, but her head wasn't twisted. She was just lying on her back, wings together. Feet normal. I didn't see any new injuries on her. There was a tiny bit of dried blood where she had been hurt the night before. But again, she was perfectly okay when I woke up.

Pepper was okay, he was sitting on the cage she was. No signs of distress, not hissing or picking a fight with the other birds who were caged. She was right where she would be on the ground by this cage if she left and fell off. It was only when I started sobbing that he became unnerved.

I'm leaning towards her body giving out on her because it's uncommon for Feathers and Crash to fly improperly or smack into something. There weren't many times in her life that she was sick, and whenever she was, she presented with low energy and not eating, sitting at the bottom of her cage. But I was always able to nurse her back to health with extra veggies and attention. Maybe something else healthwise, like an aneurysm. I'm having a hard time getting out to other bird sites and researching. Lots of maybes.

Pepper and Feathers are better than they were the day we lost her. Feathers has been singing a lot, and Pepper has been singing some, just not as much as he used to. They're eating and drinking. Pepper's always had a specific call he does for Crash, and still does it now, though not as often. No signs of lethargy, sitting at the bottom of the cage, etc.

I'm sorry for the long post, please know that you and the other replies mean very much to me. It's hard to say much of anything out loud. Talking on the internet helps. If you, or anyone else reads this, thank you so so so so so much. Things are different and different things are never easy. I don't know how the dynamics of our flock will be. I just - you know, when I tell people I have birds, they always ask how many. They're so shocked when I say I have ten. But now my answer will be nine. And things are different and more difficult in many, many more ways.

She's our momma. No matter where she is, that won't change. She and Feathers raised eight beautiful babies, and I will always be grateful for that. I love her for every bite, every scratch, every kiss, every headache, every cuddle, every chirp, and every bite, she shared with me and my family. Thank you so so so much

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kyla
    Thanks

Hello. Thank you so much for your time and words. I'm hugging my babies extra close. Pepper and Feathers, her cagemates, are okay. I don't think they're sick. They're eating and drinking a lot more. They both sang for the first time today. Still, keeping an extra eye on them thank you so much xx (also is "Fly Free Boomer" for your baby? if so, i'm keeping you and them in my thoughts, sending them peace and love in the after part of life)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kyla
    Thanks

thank you so much. they seem to be doing better xx thank you

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

I am so sorry to hear about Crash. You had her for fifteen years which tells me that you are a great caregiver for your beloved fids. My Piper was a week shy of 16 when she died and there were no signs that she was ill. I was fostering my brothers tiel at that time and like you, Woodstock mourned for his buddy.

Like people, birds grieve when a member of the flock is gone, but they do adjust, some faster than others. Sounds to me the rest of your flock is grieving which is perfectly normal.

As long as they are eating, drinking, droppings are normal, that is a good sign. Time does heal pain, not only for our beloved fids, but for people too.

Many of us do understand what it is like losing a feathered friend. When you have a chance, look up a post Deanna (boomer girl) posted, it's called "Lend Me a Bird". Sending you hugs.

Fly free Crash!!

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

It will take you awhile to mourn her loss. I consider grieving for birds and pets much the same as grieving for our human loved ones who have passed away. It is normal to always wonder why they died. Years ago, I had a budgie, who was very young, swinging on his swing. Suddenly, he fell off backwards of the perch died .instantly.. We think he had a heart attack. And night frights can injure birds. But we cannot prevent night frights from happening. I do think covering a cage at night does help somewhat, but does not totally prevent them.

We are here for you, anytime you feel you need to share your thoughts and feelings. You are fortunate to have your flock, to keep you busy. It sounds to me like they are one special group of your best friends! Enjoy them, every day. That will help ease the emotional pain you are feeling now.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-23-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Remove Ads