Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lone budgie

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Lone budgie

So one of my budgies recently died and I was just wondering, can I keep him on his own now, or should I get a new friend? I understand getting another budgie is recommended but I wanna see if I can manage just one budgie.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,251 Posts

Re: Lone budgie

You sure can keep him on his own. Get a small mirror or two, at the pet shop, as I had suggested in another post, and a small swing as well, if he does not have one. And he will be just fine. I have homed budgies for many years, and most of the time, I only had one at a time. Currently, my budgie, Muffin who will soon be 8 years old, has three mirror girlfriends, Bella, Pearl, and Bailee. He plays with them every day, and is a happy camper.

Also, you can create a better bond with one only. So.....go for it!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-23-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Okay, so I might have made an impulse decision and just bought a new budgie... Yeah I have great self control. Anyway, Chucky is the newest member at around 3 months old. Anything I should know about younger budgies or no, and will he cause issues for my older budgie?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Watch both of them closely. Sometimes an older budgie will be aggressive and controlling towards a new and younger budgie. If you see the o!der one not allowing new one to eat or drink, or pushing him or her off the perch, or being aggressive, then, you will need two cages, one for each. In a few weeks, after baby gets older, you can try putting them together again, beginning with short periods of time, until you are sure they are getting along.

Congrats on bringing Chucky into your home!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I can keep them together, as they seem to get along. I mean Ozzy tries to assert his dominance, but Chucky either ignored him or gets him to back off, which is something I've never seen. Anyway, he keeps screeching, and I dunno why. Like he will only scream or make a kind of grumbling noise. Probably because he doesn't like me yet, but are there any other factors that could cause this? I'm also pretty sure it isn't noise causing it cos it can be silent or loud and he will still scream...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Was he in a cage with several birds, or in a cage by himself when you got him. The screeching could be because he is not used to having other birds in his cage. Does he sleep at night?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He was kept in an aviary with many other birds, however he was never hand trained. He does sleep at night from what I can tell, and he tends to screech when he's outside of the cage, or when Ozzy starts warbling. I've thought it could possibly be that, he's trying to communicate with Ozzy but hasn't mimicked the calls yet, or he's just scared of everything. Like I said, he was entirely aviary raised with other babies I a imagine.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It does take some time for them to adjust to their new environment. As long as he is eating and drinking, and they are doing OK together, I would not be concerned. It just might be a "happy screech" to get attention! We will welcome updates anytime.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

You could manage 1 budgie. The bird is sad now after other bird pasing. A new bird cagemate for your bird is a better idea. He can have 2 friends. You and the new bird.

Remove Ads