Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Hiya!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hiya!

Hello! My name is Dusty. Haven't owned a bird since I was a child. Hopefully sometime around the 20th I'll be getting a Budgie. I'm a stay at home mom, waiting to gather supplies and what not before I get the bird itself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: Hiya!

Hi, and welcome to the community. You will need a cage of about 18x18x24. That is a good size starter cage. The bar spacing needs to be about 3/8 inches, and no wider than 1/2 inch. You can pick the toys that you like. Budgies love swings and mirrors, so those two are a must have. I would suggest starting out with 2-3 toys. You can always get more in the future. Also, in a year or so, you might want to consider getting a bigger cage. I always like to start with a smaller cage, because I think a bigger one is rather overwhelming for a new budgie. Maybe in the future you might decide to get another budgie, and then you will have the smaller cage to use for a new budgie, and get the larger one as well. It is always a good idea to have an extra cage, and also, a small carrier, in case you have to see a vet.

We will watch for your updates when you get your budgie. Budgies, are very loving, happy, energetic and fun birds. They are easy to take care of, and love their cages, their birdy friends, if they have some, their seeds and they love us too! They are a great pet!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-08-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Welcome the forum! Ellen gave you great advice and no doubt your little bird will bring tons of smiles to you. I do have to agree them really are great pets and "friends" to have in your life.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I do plan on getting another in the future for sure wouldn't want him not to have a friend lol just want him to be my friend first. I have been reading a bunch about budgies lol. I don't like getting animals and not knowing what I'm getting myself into lol. So i was going to get a cage i seen on Amazon it's a nice 59.3in (comes with stand so cage itself is 36in) .39 bar spacing, thoughts? Also been looking into making my own budgie toys. I'm a stay at home mom so some hobbies would be nice. A lot of the ones I have seen on Amazon chipped peoples birds beaks, were rusted and some people say the toys had killed their bird. So that made me super sketched about buying them online.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think making the toys would be neat. I have seen small natural wood blocks that would be perfect. I suggest using some very narrow leather strips to create one. Just be sure to not hang one with the end of the straps tied together, without first tying the two pieces in together, in small knots to almost the top, and then, hang in the cage. I once had a cockatiel that nearly hung himself on the rope, because he got caught between the two pieces, and was twirling, and could not get off the rope.

As to the cage, that one sounds quite large. However, the bird or birds would get used to it. It may take more time for them to be comfortsbls in it, than a smaller one. Just my own opinion.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-11-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I was curious on what to do for string. Haven't looked much into what string to use. That is scary, yeah will definitely keep that in mind when I get to start making em. What size do you reccomend for two?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think a 24 x 24 inch cage would be a nice size. If you get a stand too, I think you would be talking about another 20 inches tall max. That would really be ideal, in If you plan on having them out of the cage for a few hours a day, also consider getting a small play gym that you could set on a table. When you go to the petshop, take a look at them. Budgies gyms are not real big, but I think getting them used to one would keep them busy, and not flying all over the house. You could set it up with toys, seeds, treats, and about anything you can think of to keep them busy and happy.

If you get a stand, that additional 20-25 extra height inches would, in my view, be a good size for them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you for your info! I will definitely look into they play gyms.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I use hemp rope and string and leather for all the bird toys I make. Just make sure it natural with no chemicals sprayed on it. You can also use cotton twine too. I use food coloring to dye it to make it look fancy as well. Just make sure the string isnt too long so your new bird does not get tangled in it.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you! Yeah I've been looking it up a bit, after you use the food coloring do you bake it? ( was reading it is to dry) also do you kind of just paint it on?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I mix the food dye with water and it just sort of tints the strands of hemp. It isnt bright like the toys you buy at the store but sort of pastel colored. I also rinse it off after it dries which takes more the color away because the first time we made toys little Boomer got the color all over his beak and some of his feathers. It didnt hurt him but it did look silly.

Remove Ads