where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Normal Behavior?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brooke
    Thanks

Normal Behavior?

Hiya! I'm a new budgie owner and recently got two budgies. I think they're males, but they're still young, so I'm not very sure. In any case, I've noticed that one seems to bully the other a bit. I've read around that it may just be them playing, but I've also seen that Blizzard (the bully) will sometimes try and take food from the other, or really just push them around just about. They still follow each other around, and hang very close together, but if Blizzard is being aggressive, I don't want to risk the other one being hurt.

They're such a sweetheart.

I haven't tamed them yet, since I just got them Saturday, but if anyone knows, please let me know!

Also! Blizzard is very screechy. He literally doesn't tweet, but the other one does. The other one actually never screeches. They're like... Opposites.

(any other tips are also greatly appreciated, last time I owned a bird was a temporarily rehabbed sparrow about four years ago, and budgies are vastly different, haha!
    Last edited by Fenrir; 09-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Normal Behavior?

Hi, and welcome. Congrats on bringing home your two precious babies! Did you get them at a petshop, or from a private breeder. On occasion, one will be aggressive with the other. Not allowing one to eat, or drink, pushing them away, or even pushing them off the perch are all red flags of aggression.

Sometimes one is older than the other, or also bigger. That can cause control and dominance issues as well. It is a good idea to have an extra cage on hand, because if too much aggression occurs, you will need to separate them for awhile, perhaps a month or so, and then gradually rei-introduce them. It is early on as yet, so hopefully, after a few more days, after getting to know each other, this behavior will stop. No doubt they will not like to be separated, so I am hopeful they will settle, and you will not have to separate them.

All budgies have their own personality. Some are louder than others. It is too early to tell their sex, but I will say females often are more quiet, and docile than males.

Please keep us posted. We welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-11-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brooke
    Thanks

Hi, maxollie! Thanks for the reply!

I got them from a pet shop, but the shop purchases them from private breeders. I got them about two days after they came in. I think Blizzard is kind of easing up on the other, since I don't see them snatching food away as much anymore, and Blizzard never pushes the other away. In fact, they're constantly side by side. Blizzard is the one that seeks out the other and settles beside them. It's been about four days, so I'm trying to give them more time, but they were also all caged together.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awesome! I think they will be fine. We will welcome your updates anytime!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Brooke
    Thanks

Any update I have now. We're going to be taking Blizzard back (unfortunately) because they are extremely aggressive towards Himmel, and I can't afford another cage.
    I am sad to see him go, but Blizzard is pretty mean and ruthless. He will chase Himmel from toys, food, and start attacking them for no reason, and it makes me feel bad. Himmel is incredibly sweet, and Blizzard is the polar opposite. Luckily, Parakeets get adopted there pretty quickly, so I have no doubt that Blizzard will find a good home. <3

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is a good decision. He will go to a good home. In the mean time, enjoy Himmel. I am sure you will see a big difference in him or her, and he will be much happier, not having to fear Blizzard. I once had a pair of older parakeets given to me by a friend, and one was so mean to the other, I could not stand to see that, so I rehomed both to an aviary, and explained whast was happening. The owner told me that was a good decision. He separated them immediately, and was going to carefully watch the aggressive one.

We will welcome updates on Himmel anytime!

Remove Ads