Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Prevent Respiratory Infections

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Prevent Respiratory Infections

Looking for any reasonable suggestions you've heard from your vet or trusted source on how to prevent respiratory infections in cockatiels. My 4-year old female has had 2 in 2 months.
    Here's the typical steps I do, in addition to typical care like keeping cage clean, giving nutritious pellets, frequent baths, etc.
    1. I freeze her food for a few days when I buy it.
    2. True hepa filter runs at night next to her cage.
    3. A drop of organic apple cider vinegar in her water.
    4. Fruit and veggies for a few hours.
    5. A quality water pitcher that filters known chemicals in my area.
    6. She's in another room with the fans on when I'm cleaning/swiffering.
    7. Heating pad on top of cage at night to keep her from getting chilled.
    I'm starting to get paranoid on what's keeping her sick. Can swiffer affect her lungs from 2 rooms away? Should I not kiss her on her back and wings so much? Wash my hands more? Suggestions appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Prevent Respiratory Infections

Hi, and welcome. I would suggest covering her cage with a piece of sheet, or light towel or blanket during the day, with front side open, and at night cover cage all four sides with about 3 inches left open on cage front. I do this year around, because drafts can make them sick, especially when we run fans and air conditions in the summer. And in winter weather there are cold drafts in most houses.

Personally, I prefer feeding a good quality seed mix only. I do not feed pellets. I prefer seed because it is nature made, and pellets are man made. If I were to feed pellets I would feed 20% pellet and 80% of a good quality seed mix, combine the two, and put in seed cup. I would not feed pellets only. This is strictly my preference, and it is always the caregivers decision what to feed.

With a seed mix, you can put a few drops of bird vitamins mixed in with the seeds only about every ten days. The vitamins build their immunity from illness. Liquid vitamins are not given if feeding pellets. Any household cleaners, other than plain apple cider vinegar and warm water mixed together, should only be used when bird is in another room, and then, I would still cover him. No candles, diffusers, essential oils, cigarettes, e cigs, or tobacco products should be used in the home, and no Teflon pans should be used for cooking. Use ceramic pans or stainless steel pans.

It could be your home environment is very dry. Consider getting a cool air humidifier and run it in his room, but keep it in the far side of the room. Dry air can give them breathing problems and dry nares. These humidifiers work well, and have a filter that needs to be changed on occasion!

Feed fresh veggies and fruits everyday. It takes awhile for them to learn to eat them, but once they have some favorites feed them daily. Do a web search for...Birdy bread, birdy chop, which is fresh chopped foods, and feeding fresh veggies and fruits to cockatiels.

You are doing great in caring for her, according to the list you included on your post. I hope this info will be of help to you. We welcome your updates anytime.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I agree with Ellen and think she gave you great advise. We give our birds only TOPS pellets (Totally Organic Pellets) which are all human grade foods in them and our family birds all love the TOPS pellets. They get there seed mix (Volkman brand) and the TOPS pellets. I wonder if your your birds might need a little spritz of water with a little saline in it on there nostrils to keep them moist when it is dry in the house. I have a friend who had to mist her lovebird and cockatiels nostrils in the morning with some saline water and it helped her birds not get respiratory issues anymore. Her vet recommended it to her and it worked. I would see what your vet has to say about it as well before you tried doing it.

I would worry about the swiffer if it is one of those that has cleaner in it. If at all possible maybe you can replace the swiffer cleaner with just plain old vinegar and water mixed together. We only use vinegar water to clean with here because harsh chemicals are bad for the birds and sadly bad for me as well. I cannot tolerate cleaners at all and most make my lungs hurt, eyes water and clog my nose up. Even without a bird living with me anymore I only use vinegar water and also some comet to clean the tub and toilet.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll start covering the top of her cage during the day with her blanket as well as covering all 4 sides at night (I haven't been covering the side facing the wall). I'll cover her cage when cleaning, with her in another room and all the fans going. Am considering throwing out the swiffer. I just tested her room for humidity with the ice cube test and there's enough humidity in the room so I'll hold off on a humidifier for now.
    As for pellets, does the kind of food really affect how often they get respiratory infections? After my research I acknowledge that TOPS is better organically than Zupreem (which I use). I've used Zupreem Natural since I got her and it's recommended by all my vets. Unless you've specifically heard that it makes a difference, I hate to throw out a perfectly good bag of zupreem. Lastly, I'll hold off on saline water for now but where does one buy it? I hate to make it at home when I have to throw it out every day. Thanks again for your responses, will welcome any other tips!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Here is an idea! Take some blue shop towels that you can get in a retail store,in the auto department. They are blue paper rolls. I have a swiffer that is not the liquid one, and the pads are very pricey. So I take a shop towel, put it over the swiffer, and use the back to attach the blue towel. Then I mix some Apple cider vinegar and warm water in a sprit bottle and spray on the blue towel. I carry a few extra towels and the spritzer towel with me, and scrub my kitchen floor and bathroom floor this way. You could also add a little lemon and or lime juice to the vinegar water bottle. The smell of this mix is great, and then I know for sure my birds will not get sick.

Also, when you cover the cage at night, be sure to have some sort of nightlight in the room. I buy battery operated white Xmas fairy lights and wrap them around a small artificial Xmas tree and sit it in a corner on a table, close to my bird cages. Just enough light so the birds can see out under that front side of about 3 inches or so uncovered at the bottom of the outside cage.

And personally, I would not use saline water on my birds. Not long ago, I read here on the forum, where a hen tiel died from using saline water on her bum. A vet prescribed it for a colapsed coloca, which is the womb of a hen.

I think using the sack of Zupreempellets first will be fine. And if your vet recommrnded them, I would continue them. I have never heard of pellets causing a respiratory infection, or problem in birds, not that it won't happen. But, if your vet recommended the Zupreem, and your bird is eating them, in my view, changing her food may not be the best idea. Even adding seed, as I mentioned, takes time for them to learn to eat it, and it is always recommended to take at least 2 weeks to change over to new seed or pellets, because you have to slowly do it.

These are my suggestions and opinions. We will welcome updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-18-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Remove Ads