where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Florida Canary Fanciers website

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Florida Canary Fanciers website

I wanted to share my clubs website address again. We have done a lot of work and are very proud of it. We have also added a section on type bird standards. We added this so people could see all the types of canary's and what the standards are that define them. Like a dog breed, which would have a written standard to define what it should look like, birds have these as well. There is also show catalog PDF's so you can click on them and se what the show looks like and all of the canaries and finches in it. Like again a dog show, which has judging starting with breeds only to come up with the best of a breed, then the best of that breed competes in a group of dogs to get the best in that group, lastly then the best of the groups go up to compete for best in show, the birds follow a similar process. In birds you must win you class first, then breed/section, then division, then best in show. I know we discuss health aspects mostly here but I wanted anyone interested in seeing the other side of show world. It's not for everyone, but for the most serious of us, who just love birds, we work very hard to try and breed the very best there can be. The truest example of what a specific type of bird it may be. This is also why we stress so hard to seek out true show breeders, NOT breeders if one wishes to get a bird. Breeders just breed to sell most of the time, Show exhibitors breed the highest quality, to do anything but breed the healthiest and best defeats what they are after, which is the best. Go to
    https://www.floridacanaryfanciers.club/

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Florida Canary Fanciers website

Thanks Rudi! I really loved looking through the pictures of the show birds on this site. They are all such beautiful little birds. I did join the facebook group last time you posted a link here and get to see some of the birds on it at times as well.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

The President and Secretary/Newsletter editor are really growing the FB page. Those ladies are tops. The show pictures crack me up, I'm still on there when I won Best in Show. That was a good year. I had 4 of my birds win top bird of each of their breeds, so when you have 4 birds on the Best In Show bench going up against 24 total best in breeds, the odds are very good. I won with a great Irish Fancy, but the Parisians shown I thought would really win best in. There was a two great birds, a fife from Miami and a Gloster from GA that were excellent. This years shows are just starting, and I have a great Irish Fancy who is actually the grand son of the winner of that bird I won Best in Show with. He's got a busy year coming up. 3 shows in FL and the Nationals outside of Chicago.

Think about that, if anyone wishes, go to Irishfancycanary.com and look at the website. You'll learn about the Irish fancy Canary, but there is a tab for pairing birds for breeding on it that is the best I have ever seen. It applies to all birds and feathering. If someone ever questioned what two bird to put together for best results color wise and health wise it shows which ones to pair together. There is no other site that states it that plainly. Most go into full genetic lists and why's, this one just says, if you have bird X pair it two bird Y. It also has some definitions that people may find interesting. Anyway just another great site for info.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope you do good at the upcoming show Rudi and thanks for teaching us all about these little birds. They truly are little cuties! I do enjoy the facebook page and they do have a really nice page for people like me to enjoy.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Not too many Canaries in San Francisci,Ca. When I was growingup, there were a lot more of them here. My mother had a best friend, and she always had a couplecanaries at her place. I would like to see more Canaries. They are an attractive species.t

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

There are some great clubs and breeders in CA. Look around for clubs and inquire. I know of at least 6 of the top breeders/show exhibitors I run into at the Nationals are from out there. Even the top person who does seminars at the Nationals and other shows on artificial insemination lives in CA, She actually works and leads this program within the avian staff for the San Diego Zoo. I'm heavy in show time right now but will find the names of those clubs most of these people are in and post it sometime later, meaning a few weeks maybe.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Bill, My clubs show went off great and funny thing is the President of the San Diego Canary Club, was the Colorbred Lipochrome Judge. David Benitez. He's a highly respected Colorbred judge and Canary person. Their website is:
    http://sandiegocanaryclub.com/

Anyway, My Parisian Frill did win best Frill but the best in show went to a fantastic Irish Fancy, 2nd to a great Fife and 3rd to a really nice Gloster Corona. There were fantastic colorbred's as well but I am a type person so am awaiting the names and winners from that group. The top finch went to an amazing Blue Dacnis Male. Look the breed up, their amazingly beautiful. Finches 2nd place was a Florida Fancy Zebra Male (Yes their is a mutation called a Florida Fancy) and 3rd went to a very nice shaft tail with a great Forbes Parrot Finch after that.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

There is a Roller Canary Club in Oakland http://www.oircc.com/
    Look them up and ask

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Congrats on your win Rudi! You must be very proud of your sweet little Parisian Frill. No doubt you loved being at the show and winning must of made it even better.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

The real fun has just begun. A new member, young man, well I call him young, he's in his 30's came and showed Parisians and a really nice Giboso Espanola. I didn't know he existed or was in the club. Since we share the love of the same type of canary and of course were up against each other in the show, he paid attention to who I was. After mine took 1st and his 2nd and 3rd, I had to wait to find pout who owned those 2. All judging is anonymous, since the judge is not allowed to know who owns the birds the show cage tags are sealed and only opened after judging. We generally all know who is who but the judge doesn't and in this case since he has never shown I didn't know either. Anyway, he's a great guy and had his son at the show as well. We began talking and hit it off. He has been asking tons of questions, all great and has been a sponge for information. He's coming by my house this weekend with his son so we can talk birds and see if we can exchange some to help each other out. I don't understand people who are so competitive they hide and never share anything, I find sharing and especially a great friendship of sharing information and birds, leads to huge fun. It makes us all better, and allows us to support and yes needle each other through fun competition. If his blood lines can do me good and mine his we all win. Since good Parisians can run $500 a piece or more having 2 of us within 30 minutes of each other. So anyway, the show was a lot of work, but all went well and we all had fun. Big bonus is a young man who has bird fever or rather the same specific bird fever ailment I have. Makes for very fun shows in the future. I don't know what's more fun, experiencing new peoples excitement and nervousness when showing or the glow on their faces when they finally win and get the deserved pat on the back acknowledging all of the years of hard work it took. I find way more fun in seeing those things than ever winning myself. I've been there, but maybe since I was never blessed with children its how a proud papa feels. OK maybe not but I like to think so.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is GREAT you made a friend and you two can exchange some birds and create even better birds. I can feel your excitement through your words and I am happy you are happy...

And no doubt those of us who have had children know that glow and happiness that your talking about when you child finally does something really good and is acknowledged for it. My daughter did quite a few things that made me cry happy tears whenever she did them. Your little birdies must give you that same special proud feeling in your heart as well. I am looking forward to hearing about your new friend and your birds getting together and making show winners out of both of you.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

well we'll see. The Nationals is coming up at Pheasant Run, just outside of Chicago in 4 weeks, well Nov. 14th-16th. 20 hour drive, but people and birds from every corner of North America showing. So my new apprentice, ha sorry that's what I called him and he laughed, has admitted to being completely afflicted with bird fever. That overwhelming, every thought and tons of excitement in respect to birds is consuming him. Funny, his son helped steward at the show as did he, but I am having to utilize his sin to keep him in check. I've seen this happen many times, a person can lose it and instead of a drug problem, they get a bird problem and over do it. Their excitement gets the best of them and they soon have an aviary over stuffed with birds, then breeding season comes around and they hit the wall. "What did I do" hits them and they panic do to being over whelmed. Tempering the excitement ad keeping focused is the key. I try and instill, the best of the best are known for their birds. Soon a judge or anyone can recognize a top winner, simply because all of their birds look the same. They figured out their idea of the standard and have spent so long breeding bird to that standard they have created a line that all hit the mark and win. This then allows them to keep fewer and fewer birds, and manage their flock to their standard. I know many a great winner whose flock starts every breeding season with 6-10 birds total. You only need to breed one great bird to win, quality over quantity always. This also keeps your time focused, not over whelmed with work. Which then makes things fun not over taxed.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I remember Canaries since my youth. My mothers best friend had a canary. Also , my uncle who lived nearby. I have fond memories of thos birds. I will check out your website to see your Canaries.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Our youth and the memories. We had or I should say my Mom had Parakeets. I raised Cockatiels and lovebirds. When I got older my ear drove me away from Hookbills all together. You put a bunch of lovebirds or parakeets/Buggies together and you can't think straight through all the noise. I moved to soft bills and their soft songs and never went back. I have around 150 birds right now and my house sounds like a calm tropical island. Open a window for the sound of my fountain in the pool and the scene is set. Then I go and have to clean and feed, well there goes paradise, HA

Remove Ads