Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lonely budgie?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Lonely budgie?

Hey all,
    I was playing with my budgie, spritle and I decided to play a video of another budgie to see what he would do he got really into it and started pecking at my phone and jumping on top of it looking for the bird. I have been looking into getting a friend for him but he's been very hormonal/aggressive for some time now ( I took him to the vet to check that the aggression wasnt because he was hurt and they said it's because he is hormonal) but he seems really lonely. When is the best time to get him a friend/cagemate?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

Re: Lonely budgie?

Usually, hormones last for a few weeks and then they return to normal behavior. Getting another one right now may not be the best time, especially if you would happen to get a girl. How old is he now? Do you have an extra cage to use, if the two of them did not get along with each other. Usually, it is a better choice to get a new bird about the same age as your bird. The problem is, when we get them at a pet shop, we do not know how old they are. Do you have private breeders in your area? If you could find one, and tell them the approximate age of your budgie, they might have one about the same age. Also, I would suggest another boy, because having a female and male results in mating, eggs, and baby budgies. This will somewhat take away your bond with each one.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I have had your problem getting a mate for a budgie. Some get along and some do not. Once, it was worse. One bird used to always pick on and bully the shyer bird. I had a second cage, so fiex that problem. The pernon who sent you areply below your message gave you avery real account of what you can deal with if you get a cage buddy for you budgies. It is good that we do thinkof and hope that a new cagemate can cheer up a budgie alone in the cage. And thet can if the 2 birds click.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Usually, hormones last for a few weeks and then they return to normal behavior. Getting another one right now may not be the best time, especially if you would happen to get a girl. How old is he now? Do you have an extra cage to use, if the two of them did not get along with each other. Usually, it is a better choice to get a new bird about the same age as your bird. The problem is, when we get them at a pet shop, we do not know how old they are. Do you have private breeders in your area? If you could find one, and tell them the approximate age of your budgie, they might have one about the same age. Also, I would suggest another boy, because having a female and male results in mating, eggs, and baby budgies. This will somewhat take away your bond with each one.
    I do not know how old he is, maybe 4 months I would have to buy another cage if I were to get a new budgie, I do not have any private breeders I know of but I'm sure I could get an approximate age from my local pet shop(not a chain petshop)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

A budgie does not get into hormones until about 10-12 months of age. That first experience is called entering puberty. So, if you feel your budgie is only 4 months old, then this behavior is not hormones. And also, unless you had a DNA test, or if you got your bird from a breeder, who confirmed you have a boy, your budgie could be a girl.

Personally, I would wait awhile before considering getting a pal for him or her. He or she will mature more in the next few weeks and months. He may get over being so aggressive by then. I suggest putting a swing and a couple of mirrors, from the petshop, in his or her cage. Budgies love both of these items. And play some soft music on a CD player, or radio for him or her. This too will help him to settle in and tamp back his aggression. Sit by his cage and talk to him. Eat a snack while sitting there with him. Play Seasame Street on PBS kids TV cable. My birds love that too!

Time and patience are on your side. Do not lose heart.

Another idea, is to go to YouTube and find videos of several budgies chattering and singing. He will love that too! We will watch for updates.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

I see these posts about a lonely budgie, it makes me want to help the bird. Actually, for my prior efforts, it may work out for the bird or it may not. But it it always gets my attention.

Remove Ads