where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Normal breeding behavior ?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jehri
    Thanks

Question Normal breeding behavior ?

My pair has been mating like crazy. The last two days itís been 4 or 5 times a day. Today they got moved to a different cage which obviously didnít bother them one tiny bit because they are still very active. It moved them closer to me though and I noticed a behavior I hadnít noticed before. Iíve seen my female display to my male before he mounts her but Iíve noticed twice today he has come up behind her while sheís climbed on the food dish. Sheís lifted her tail and he has been doing what looks like grooming of her vent area. She makes the mating noises while heís doing it. Itís very brief and usually about 10 minutes or so later then they mate. I donít know if this is some sort of birdy foreplay. I tried to google for information and came up pretty empty handed.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Normal breeding behavior ?

Welcome to the forum and I got to wonder what this is as well. I never had two birds together so I have no idea but wonder if it is birdy foreplay like you said as well. Dogs will smell each other before mating so maybe birds do something like this to each other as well. We will see what Maxollie has to say about this because she did have birds who mated before.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

I apologize for addressing your birds as budgies. I have removed that entire post. You did post in the correct category .

As to this behavior, I would say all cockatiels and other birds have what I call mating rituals. It is just part of Nature. Perhaps a smell or taste has perked the males interest.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-03-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jehri
    Thanks

I'm sorry did I post in the wrong area? These are cockatiels. They are breeders it's what they are here for. I just haven't seen this particular behavior in this pair before. This is their second clutch the first one was infertile. She just laid the first egg last night so maybe he was checking to see how close to laying she was? He wasn't doing this at the beginning of the breeding cycle just the end the last three mates maybe before she laid the first egg

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jehri
    Thanks

So after monitoring for a few days and additional data I have a completely different conclusion now that we have egg number 3 in nest and egg number 4 very obviously being constructed . I believe. What he has been doing is checking egg progress and position before mounting and mating the female. I've noticed that he is only doing it late on the day between and day of laying before the egg. Once it's laid and until later the next day they are mating with normal zest and abandon without checking first.

Remove Ads