Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New youngen

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

New youngen

Hi everyone; I usually talk about cockatiels, but now we have a young love bird.
    My daughters husband gave her a 1.5 month old tiel blue pale face lovie last night. He/she is very tame and will step up. but does have a biting issue.
    so, couple questions: Anyway to tell if male or female?
    and how to try and get it to stop biting. The previous owner gave her up because it kept biting their son.
    thanks
    MJ
    Last edited by ninjatech; 09-30-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New youngen

I bet your new lovie is so beautiful and sadly it sounds like a regular lovebird because they are feisty little birds who sadly bite when they feel provoked. They are smart birds and will learn quickly what "no bites" mean but sadly that does not mean they will never bite you. Boomer was a big poo butt who knew exactly what no bites means but still would full on attack you if you tried to stop him from doing things he wanted to do. He oddly enough never would bite my daughter but then my daughter was his favorite person so maybe it was why he didn't bite her. I got bitten all the time and would tell him "no bites" each time but he did it all his life. I just kept telling him no bites and scolded him with a "bad boomer" just so he knew he was a bad bird and ignored him for awhile. Since yours is still a very young baby keep telling him no bites firmly when he does it and hopefully he/she will learn and stop biting you. Boomer was maybe 4 or 5 months old when we got him and he was already biting the person we got him from. They are independent birds but they are also very faithfull and love to be part of the family. They are also so dang cute that it is hard to be mad at them with that cute little face looking at you after they bite you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

Thanks!
    I kind of figured as much. We started blowing in his/her face when he tries to bite, and that seems to stop the action. I will add the no bites tag on to that as well. I'm trying not to get too bonded to this one, as it is supposed to be my daughters bird. lol . And Misty will get pretty jealous if she see the new around.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

its been a month now, and Aurora, Raven's lovebird seems to have settled. he/she is super feisty though. she has decided that Raven is her person, and only she shall be allowed to be near. Aurora bites hard everyone else, and sometimes Raven as well. Nothing seems to work to get her to stop biting. it's rather annoying, and painful.
    Aurora also chases our kitten and bites her toes, which causes the kitten to want to chase back. It seems that peaceful coexistence is not a possibility.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Lovies are such feisty birds and being fiesty with a cat is not a good thing at all. I would definitely make sure the cat is up when Aurora is out of the cage. Also never leave the cat and the bird in the same room when you are not home because Aurora if she is like Boomer was will definitely try to bite the cat through the bars and the cat might scratch her which we all know is a very bad thing for a bird. Boomer was a one person bird as well but when my daughter was not home he would come to me or the hubby to get his snuggles from us. Hopefully Aurora will decide your not such a scary person when she has been around you more.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    MJ
    Thanks

oh yeah. we are super careful. They are only fully supervised when out, and both cages are elevated out of reach of kittens.

Remove Ads