Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male budgies

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Male budgies

Hi I've had my 2birds for 3months they are 9/10months the white one won't let yellow one play outside cage he chases him back I've tried locking him in so can play with yellow one but not working how can I get them to play together

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

Re: Male budgies

Hi, and welcome to the community. Sometimes a budgie will dominate another one. Are they in one cage, or, separate cages. If together, in one cage, does the white one show any aggression towards the yellow one? I would suggest beginning some training with each one individually. Take one at a time into a small room, perhaps your bedroom. Be sure to close all curtains, and or blinds, and take all mirrors off the walls, or in the room. Also, turn off any ceiling fans, in that room, as well as any rooms they might be flying free.

Take an unsharpened pencil, or a wooden perch or dowel, and proceed to get your budgie to step up on the perch. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and use them in training. In one hand, have a sprig of milliooet. Hold the top of the sprig out so that your budgie can eat off the top. They love millet. Once you teach him to eat, then take the pencil or perch and gently push it into the budgies tumny area, at the same time commanding him to "step up". He should do so, because that tummy spot just automatically causes them to step up on the perch. Once he does step up, paise him, saying good boy, etc., and again allow him to eat off the top of the millet sprig.

Practice this exercise a few times a day with each of them individually. We call this exercise bonding with our budgies. Once you see good progress, with both, then try putting them in one cage only, and try getting them to step up. And also have a certain area in your home, and when they are flying free, out of cage, practice this exercise with them.

Time and patience will win for you. It will not happen immediately, but practicing with them, quite often, helps you to bond with them, and it tends to tamp down the domination of one over the other. If they are in separate cages, bonding like this will give you a good possibility of being able to play with both, at the same time, and together. And possibly put them together in one cage.

We will welcome your updates anytime! Good luck on your journey with them. I love budgies!!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-05-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Talking Re: Male budgies

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the community. Sometimes a budgie will dominate another one. Are they in one cage, or, separate cages. If together, in one cage, does the white one show any aggression towards the yellow one? I would suggest beginning some training with each one individually. Take one at a time into a small room, perhaps your bedroom. Be sure to close all curtains, and or blinds, and take all mirrors off the walls, or in the room. Also, turn off any ceiling fans, in that room, as well as any rooms they might be flying free.

Take an unsharpened pencil, or a wooden perch or dowel, and proceed to get your budgie to step up on the perch. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and use them in training. In one hand, have a sprig of milliooet. Hold the top of the sprig out so that your budgie can eat off the top. They love millet. Once you teach him to eat, then take the pencil or perch and gently push it into the budgies tumny area, at the same time commanding him to "step up". He should do so, because that tummy spot just automatically causes them to step up on the perch. Once he does step up, paise him, saying good boy, etc., and again allow him to eat off the top of the millet sprig.

Practice this exercise a few times a day with each of them individually. We call this exercise bonding with our budgies. Once you see good progress, with both, then try putting them in one cage only, and try getting them to step up. And also have a certain area in your home, and when they are flying free, out of cage, practice this exercise with them.

Time and patience will win for you. It will not happen immediately, but practicing with them, quite often, helps you to bond with them, and it tends to tamp down the domination of one over the other. If they are in separate cages, bonding like this will give you a good possibility of being able to play with both, at the same time, and together. And possibly put them together in one cage.

We will welcome your updates anytime! Good luck on your journey with them. I love budgies!!!
    hi Ty I've got both in same cage they were really shy timid birds but I spend hours with them they come out and sit beside me but even if he sleeping and Benny comes out he comes right after him Benny is starting to stand up to him but eventually goes back in he is same if I'm giving them treats each he will leave his and take Benny I love having then and don't want split them up as

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 1,252 Posts

Do not lose heart. They are very young as yet, and I feel this behavior will tamp down as they get older. If you happen to have a male and female, it also could be due to their sex. Boys would tend to chase after females. Encourage them to be friends when they are out of cage. One idea would be to give the one who forces the other one back to the cage, a time out. Put him in the cage, and close the door. I am sure he will be all over the inside of the cage, trying to get out to be with you and the other one. But leave him there for about 10 minutes. Then try letting him back out. Repeat this each time he chases. It may teach him that if he chases the other one, then, you will put him back into the cage. Budgies are very smart, and all birds are too. They can learn by discipline if it is not unkind toward them.

See if this will work for you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-06-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I will try that thank you

Remove Ads