Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rick and Lucy.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Rick and Lucy.

So I've had Rick for about 3 weeks, and Lucy for 2 weeks now. Rick is sweet for the most part. He will eat the spray millet outta my hand and he'll step up on my finger, Lucy wants absolutely nothing to do with me. She ate the spray millet outta my hand once so far. They love each other though so that's good. Any advice? Also getting a budgie from a friend who doesn't want her bird anymore. Cage n all. Any advice on socializing with my other birds? Thanks everyone who has been answering my questions. Sorry I haven't thanked y'all sooner.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Rick and Lucy.

Also, I'm pretty sure my cage isn't meant for 3 birdies, what is a decent sized cage for 3 or 4? Just in case they would want to be cage mates in the future.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Is your friend going to give you the cage and the budgie? It is important to keep that bird in quarantine for about 21-30 days, which means to keep it either in a separate room, or across the room at a distance from your two budgies. I would suggest leaving that bird in its own cage, at least for a few months, until your new pair have matured more, and have a good. bond wiith you. Also, if you derfinitely have a boy and girl now, at about a year old, they will begin mating, and the female will most likely lay eggs. When a pair reaches that age, they really need to be in their own cage.

Often times, putting an older budgie, or one that has been in another home, with very young, or baby budgies, does not work out well, because there is a tendency for that older bird you are considering getting from your friend, to be dominant over the other two, or even aggressive. Personally, I think it will work out fine for you, if you keep the two cages, and after quarantine, set them close together. I think that would work well. You could train all of them, individually, to be able to have them all out of cage and flying free, once in awhile.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Your new budgies are doing great. Time and patience are on your side. Each day they will get more used to you and their new home. Taking time, and going easy with them, will make them feel trusting of you. Keep on doing as you are with them. And, I love their names!!!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you! Well she gave me 2 cages (one I'm throwing away...it's a gerbil cage welded to a bird cage) doesn't look bad, just I feel like the bar spacing isn't less than .5in. So she is in a smaller cage until I can afford a bigger one for her. Was thinking of getting her a cage mate if I do. She is feral, she was from petsmart and my friend (actually my sister's friend) handled her only with gloves on. I've been putting millet in my hand and holding my hand in her cage for a good 5 mins once a day. She really wants to be around the others, so hopefully after quarantine she does well with them.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Also I'm really nervous on letting her out of the cage, should I wait until she is tamed?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would wait a week or so, and let her adjust more to you and her new home. Then, you can let her out, but for starters, take her in her cage, to a small room of your home, and begin some bonding for her there. C!ose all windows, curtains, blinds and doors. Turn off any ceiling fans.Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and use them in some training. Take an unsharpened pencil and use it for a perch. Take a sprig of millet and hold your arm out, and let her eat millet off the sprig. Practice this exercise for a few days. Then, one day, take the pencil, and gently press it into her tummy area. She will step up on the pencil perch. Then let her eat more millet off the sprig, and praise her for stepping up. Practice this exercise often. It is a great bonding and training tool.

It is always a good idea to have out of cage time in a smaller room in the home, because there are many dangers of allowing a bird to fly all over the house. She will be safer in that one small room.

We will welcome your updates anytime.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

If you wouldn't mind what are your thoughts on clipping wings (until they are tamed, I don't want them to never be able to fly.) Rick and Lucy had both of their wings clipped when I got them and I thought maybe Ellie would be easier to tame if her wings were clipped. Thank you for all of your Info. I appreciate this forum very much.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

As long as you can find an excellent wing tech who knows exactly how to clip them, I think it would be OK. But there are some who do not know the proper way to clip, and that can be a nightmare for the bird, and for you, if that happens.

One idea I have is for you to take Ellie into a small room in your home, and let her be out of cage. Close the door, the windows, curtains, and blinds, and then turn off any ceiling fans. Getting used to being out of cage is accomplished better in a small space. Then, after you allow her to be out like this each day, for a week or so, do the same training with Rick and Lucy, each separately. Then try all three in the small room. That way, with the door shut, they cannot fly all over the house. Out of cage, they are everywhere in the house. They are fast, and will perch on curtain rods, or high spaces, and are very hard to catch, and also, there are many dangers in our homes when they are flying free. Falling behind furniture, or electrical appliances, can severely injure them, or they can die. I once had one fly into hot dish water. Thankfully, I immediately got him out, we wrapped him in a piece of blanket, dried him off, and kept him warm, so he would not get chilled and die. That was a miracle he survived.

I also suggest getting them a small play gym. You can find them in the pet shop. If you set one up, perhaps in that small room, they can play on it. And that will eliminate some of the flying all over the place.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-15-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Remove Ads