Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: HELP! New Untame Alexandrine/rRngneck Parrot, WILL NOT EAT HAS NOT MOVED

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Exclamation HELP! New Untame Alexandrine/rRngneck Parrot, WILL NOT EAT HAS NOT MOVED

Hello! I am new to this wonderful community and need urgent help with my Alexandrine parrot.

I bought him yesterday from a regular pet store, where he was not in the best state. He was in a small cage for his size, had only sunflower seeds to eat from, no toys, and the cage was placed on the floor for almost his whole life. He is around 2 years old and it was very stressfull for him to move him from the pet store, all the way to my home in his new cage. He shrieked like crazy, hes was very scared of humans at the pet store (would move away from the person in his cage), bit the pet store workerwhen he handled him with a towel, and was breathing rapidly.

When we arrived home we moved him from the small cage to his new home, a big wide cage, where he is able to extend his tail.
    Yesterday after an hour of being in his new home, he seemed to me moving around side to side on the highest perch in the cage, and has not moved from there since.
    Today, this morning I've been coming in and out of the room he is in, and has become comfortable with me in the room. Now he does not move away from me when I get close to the cage. I can talk to him move my hand slowly towards him and does not fly in fear to the other side of the cage.

THE PROBLEM: I understand it is a new environment, everything is new, and he has not moved from the top perch. The food and water bowls are lower in the cage, and has not eaten or had any water but seems very curious. I try giving him food through the cage, but slowly walks away. What should I do? Should I move the food/water bowls to the top perch?(he gets very scared if I stick my hand in) Should I stick some fruit on the cage where the perch is? I dont know what to do and am really worried for him if he does not eat. I want to give him a new life, a better one than the one he was in before.
    Thank you and I would greatly appreaciate any help, any questions, anything.

PICTURE OF HIM!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/184959...posted-public/

[IMG]file:///Users/catherinec/Downloads/20b5fd79-c84d-4754-9b66-b265b148085e.JPG[/IMG]

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: HELP! New Untame Alexandrine/rRngneck Parrot, WILL NOT EAT HAS NOT MOVED

Hi, and welcome! Awww!!! He is soooo beautiful, and I love his colors. It will take several days for him to be more trusting of you, and his surroundings, but I think he is already coming around.

I suggest you put two cups, food and water, in the upper top of the cage as well. I think you could attach them with some sort of string or twine, but be sure to not use very much string, and cut it short, so he cannot get caught in the string with his feet, and do not loop it, so he could get his head caught in it. There also could be some cups at the pet shop that could be attached a better way.

It is not unusual for him to not eat or drink. I've had birds that did not do so for up to four days. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, and hang some in the cage, and break some in small pieces as well. Put some in a separate cup, place some on a plate on the cage floor, along with some fresh pieces of raw apple, chopped, some of his seeds, or pellets if you feed them,some fresh leaf lettuce, broken in small pieces, and some small pieces of whole wheat bread. Sprinkle a little organic apple juice over this plate mix. And always provide his water and seed cups as well.

Millet is full of good nutrition and moisture, and is excellent to use early on when they are not eating regularly as yet.

And also, I suggest you take a light weight sheet or blanket and place it over three sides of the cage, with front side open, in daytime, and all sides except for about 6 inches on front side of cage at night. Be sure he has a night light.

Covering is what I call a comfort to new birds when we first bring them home. It is a big change for them to come home with us. Being older, it may take longer for him to be more open and trusting of you, but I feel confident you two will be best friends.

Play music on a CD or radio for him. Sit by his cage and talk softly to him. Eat a snack while sitting there. Also, play Disney Channel and Seasame street on TV for him. My birds LOVE all of these!

All birds are afraid of our hands, especially at first, I would refrain from trying to touch him for awhile, and only put your hands in the cage for cleaning and feeding for awhile, until he settles in more.

Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates anytime. Thank you for bringing him home from that terrible life he was living at that pet shop. I KNOW he will be happy and loved in your home.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-13-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Hello Maxollie! I first have to thank you for the wonderful message, it really warmed my heart, made me feel more assured in this new experience I'm about to go through. Thank you for reading my message, and offering so many different ways to help him! I feel very loved and extremely welcome!

I will do as you said, with the food, and try to see if I can get millet sprigs. Last night, I was actually able to get him to drink water! as I did move the cups higher up closer to the perch he is at. After reading your message, I have been hanging out in the room with him, I covered the backside with a blanket, and have noticed him getting more comfortable with me in the room. Compared to how scared he would get at the pet shop, being scared of people getting 2 feet of the close from his cage, to remaining calm when I place my hand inside, I am really happy and relieved.

Something I have been noticing is that he is often trembling his body and wings, very slightly but constantly when I am not in the room. Then when I hang out in the room with him, he still trembles but a lot less. It is not cold in the room, his feathers are not fluffed, he is just trembling. I do not know why and will see if he continues to do so tomorrow.
    The last thing I want to do is take him to the vet, as it was incredibly stressful and traumatic to take him out of a smaller cage. Please, if you know why this could be, let me know.

Thank you so much for answering, it really makes me feel so happy there are people that can help me.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

In my view, it is normal that they sometimes shake and tremble when we first get them. Not all birds do, but I think his history, probably has a bearing on this, and the cover is going to help that tremendously. Also, he has not established regular eating as yet, and once he gets into daily eating, I think that will eliminate those trembles. And, I totally agree that right now is not a good time for a vet visit unless it is absolutely necessary. It is too stressful.

He had far from a normal life in the last couple of years. It had to be very frightening for him to experience seeing strangers all of the time, and also, we do not know how he actually was cared for. Being in a confined area as he was, especially since he is a good sized bird, every day, had to be very challenging for him. You know, sadly, we have people in this world who are just not qualified to be pet or bird owners, and sadly, there are retail pet stores that do not qualify either.

Until he gets on a good daily diet, and is more settled in, his poops will probably be watery, or very loose. The millet will give him good nutrition snd moisture until then. You then can give him millet for treats. Millet has a high fat content, and too much fat in a bird diet can cause liver disease, so millet is limited to treats only, when the bird has adjusted well to his new home. But, until then, it can be fed anytime.

Here are some signs of illness:

Sleeping alot, being lethargic, all puffed up, some birds sit on the cage floor, and do not perch. They do not eat at all or drink( I am speaking of birds that have been in a home for a period of time of weeks, months or years, not those that have just come to our homes), and some also tuck their head under their wing, some can even vomit, or have labored breathing, or watery eyes, or nares discharge. And, some do quiver as well. I do not think he has this problem at all right now.

Each day you will see some progress, even if it is small. Before long, your time and journey with him is going to be busy, happy, and educational. Birds are some of the most intelligent of Natures creation, especially all parrot species. I have homed cockatiels and budgies for many years, and they have taught me many lessons of life.

All birds do not like to be handled, because they fear our hands. Nature has made them to always be on guard for predators. In the wild, they live in flocks, and are constantly ready to take flight if danger is perceived by them. When they have to be taken out of a cage, that they have been placed in, they are very, very afraid. Having to be "caught", and taken from his cage, was very traumatic for him. I would say that contributed to his shaking and trembling. But. he already is sensing that you love him, and will not hurt him, and that is a giant step in progress already. That is awesome!!

Thank you for your kind remarks. We will be watching for updates. You are doing great and so is he doing great. Time and patience will win for you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Thank you for your message! He still has not eaten anything, but has continued to tremble when im not with him. Here are two videos of him, during the morning (the first one) where he remains calm but curious, and in the afternoon where he finally became playful and made some noises!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNozbyDEfbA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnFNsdHd6U

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww!!! He is beginning to be more active, and vocal! That video brought tears to my eyes thinking of his confinement in the pet store. And now, to have a big, beautiful cage, and a caregiver that truly loves him! I think he will be eating very soon. Wash an apple, slice it, stick some pieces through the cage bars, close to the seed cup. Also, see if he would come to the side of the cage, and eat off a piece, while you are sitting by the cage. You eat an apple slice, and maybe he will too. What seed or pellet mix are you feeding?

I just think Alexandrines are the cutest birds!! They remind me of an inquisitive child!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

First off I want to say welcome to the site and also for posting the videos. It is great to see how much he enjoys having you next to him and talking to him. I think talking to them is the best way for them to feel comfortable around us humans. The more you talk the better they like you. Once he quits being really afraid of you putting things into his cage you can start giving him treats. Treats will get him close to you because no bird can resist some really good treats. You can watch what seeds he eats first when you refill the food bowl in his cage and try to hand feed those seeds to him. I know our little birds all love the safflower seeds but big birds are different then little birds. Ellen has given you great advice and I just wanted to say thank you for taking this big bird in and it really does look like he already has fallen madly in love with you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Thank you both for your messages! Little by little he is making progress and I'm really happy the way he is getting more comfortable with me. Last night i was fixing some toys in his cage, doesnt mind me and walks right past my hand and arm when its inside. However if I try to purposely touch him, he's still skiddish.

I wanted to ask, I posted a new post recently on a feather I am worried about, I do not know if it is a blood feather, I can't handle him to check, and I do not know what to do. Here is a picture. https://www.flickr.com/photos/184959...posted-public/

It seems to have "fallen off" or be broken, often moving, facing the opposite side (infront of him) What should I do?? is it a blood feather? should i take him to the vet? should I leave it?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Broken feathers can be very dangerous, if the feather breaks close to the shaft, it can bleed, and they can lose a lot of blood very fast. In the picture, is it the feather in the middle of his back? Anytime you see blood, that is danger. Then, you would need to try to find where the blood is coming from, and with him not being tame, that may be impossible. So, I do suggest taking him to an avian vet in your area soon. In my view, this definitely needs to be examined. For blood loss, corn starch or white flour will stop bleeding. You would see the shaft was broken, and just a feather "stub" there. But being a bird, they try to pull out the shaft themselves, and often times that will cause bleeding. I would expect him to be molting feathers now, or soon, because a new home, and diet, often cause molting. And with molting, also comes possible broken feathers\shaft.

I think it is a good idea to have a wellness check on him soon anyway. Consider getting a bird carrier at the pet shop, or, a smaller cage to transport him. And cover his cage when you take him to the car, and then uncover just the front side. When you take him inside the vets office, cover all sides.

Personally, I would take him in a smaller bird cage, rather than the bird carrier, because I think they are too confining for bigger birds, and are not as safe, as cages.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-18-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Hello! Thank you for your response! the feather is coming from his wing. Today I did not see it like it is in the picture. Hes been acting normal today, but i dont know if it is completely necessary for me to take him to the vet. If it is i will take him tomorrow. I also have not seen any blood.

Thank you! looking forward to your response 😊😁

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Was it the smaller feather right in front of his wing? That one seems to be always hanging down on my daughters conure and if I remember right it was sort of loose on Boomer as well. I have a feeling perhaps it may be ready to molt out because when they do they seems to get looser and sometimes twist around in odd places at times. I have a feeling maybe Ellen saw the red mark on his wing and may think its blood but I have met some Alexandrines and know they have that dark red color on the wings. Keep a eye on him and if you see him twisting his feathers around or pulling they may be getting ready to molt out and could be bothering him way down by the shaft. Tikki my daughters conure was going through a awful molt once and he barbed his wing feathers and was twisting them all around sometimes making his wing shaft bleed and one of them broke off way down by his skin. We had to take him to the vets to get it pulled out and they decided to keep him and give him a nice medicated bath and monitor him because he was really twisting and barbering his feathers. Thankfully the medicated bath stopped him and he has never did it again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Thank You! I have decided not to take him to the vet. I looked at the feather closely, when it was more visible, and it doesnt seem to show the signs of it being a broken bloodfeather. Hes been acting normal, and I've actually got him to take a seed from my hand. For the first days I gave him a seed mix (what he ate at the pet store), and now have switched to only giving him pellets and fruits. I only use sunflower seeds when I give them to him, with my hand. I pick one and slowly give it to him, he was very scared at first, but now is really comfortable with him hand being very upclose. I also have noticed he is still trembling, and even sometimes has puffed up feathers, the room is not cold but he dosnt seem ill. I will also be buying him more toys! he destroyed 2/4 yesterday Will keep you guys updated, I'm so excited to get to knowhim better, and little by little begin to tame him.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

He is doing well. Personally, I recommend feeding 20% pellet and 80% a good seed mix, because birds need to always eat nature's seeds. Pellets are man made. There are some that are organic. I feel the best diet for all birds is a combination of the two, and fresh veggies and fruits. I do not feed pellets to my birds. This is my own decision, and as I always post every caregiver must decide what to feed their birds.

I would watch the all puffed up behavior. As to the blood feather, that too is your decision.

We will watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Hello! Thank you for your responses!

Regarding the food, he does not want to eat any pellets or fruit, so i have switched to giving him the seed mix😕. Also, the feather we were worried about, fell out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184959...posted-public/

I guess it was molting? (im not sure)
    He is also not puffed up anymore but is trembling, i try my best to stay in the room with him, as the longer i stay the less he trembles. I also put on the TV and he does seem to enjoy watching it. Also, I have noticed he is less loud, yesterday, the day before, and today, he has not been making any noises, like he usually does. I do not know why.

Thank you and kind regards to all!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, that is a broken feather, and thankfully, it broke off clean and did not bleed. Hopefully, he will pull the shaft end out where it is located and it won't bleed. But, sometimes, they cannot pull it out, and it begins to bleed. When they are molting, they are always pulling out feathers, and preening feathers, so no doubt this one is a result of the mo!t. If, you were to see blood, in that area, then you would have to catch him, , and pull out the broken shaft, with a tweezers, or take him to the vet, and they can remove it. Hopefully, he will pull the remaining shaft out. Thankfully it was a clean break.

Since you are going to feed the seeds and not pellets, get a bottle of bird vitamins at the pet shop, and mix a few drops in his seed mix about every 10 days. Do not put vitamins in the water cup because the water can go rancid, and make him sick. The vitamins will be a great help for the molting. You can also take a spray bottle, fill with tepid warm water, and spritz him every day. That water will moisten his skin. Molting causes the skin to be very dry. Molting usually lasts for a few weeks.

Being more quiet is a sign he is settling into his new home. Watch his behavior for signs of illness as I had previously described in a post above. We will welcome updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-21-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Remove Ads