Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: is this Mite?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Ngo
    Thanks

is this Mite?

Hello everyone,
    I have just recently purchased a budgie but I do notice something on his feet.
    Just wondering if anyone can tell me what this is? Is this dry feet or is it mite?

Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: is this Mite?

Hi, Kevin, and welcome. That does not look normal to me. I have homed budgies for years, and have never seen that scaly stuff on their feet. I feel you need to call an Avian vet, and see if they could look at him. I do not think mites bite feet much, they are more into the body of the bird. They are very, very tiny, smaller than a grain of salt, and are black in color. Your budgie would be scratching constantly and be very agitated.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Ngo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi, Kevin, and welcome. That does not look normal to me. I have homed budgies for years, and have never seen that scaly stuff on their feet. I feel you need to call an Avian vet, and see if they could look at him. I do not think mites bite feet much, they are more into the body of the bird. They are very, very tiny, smaller than a grain of salt, and are black in color. Your budgie would be scratching constantly and be very agitated.
    Thank you for your reply.
    That's the thing, m bird does not scratch at all. It just have these bumps under their feet and it looks like it's peeling.
    I am afraid it might be tumour or something or bumble feet

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I do not know much about bumble foot, but, to me, this is not normal. Does your bird eat and drink normally? And is he or she active?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Ngo
    Thanks

I do not know much about bumble foot, but, to me, this is not normal. Does your bird eat and drink normally? And is he or she active?
    yeah he's eating actually quite alot. He's not really active, but he's also new so he might be getting used to the cage. I got him from this pet shop, and I don't think they are being treated good.
    I notice his leg doesnt have a good grip like my other budgie. It's very weak. But he still jump on my finger though. I am thinking it could be the cage where he was kept.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, if he was not in the best care, or a cage that was not the best, it could be due to improper care. I suggest that for now, unless you see other evidence of illness, I would not subject him to a stressful trip to a vet. Once he gets to eating a good diet, those feet may improve. If, as time goes by, his leg does seem to be crippled, do not worry. Special needs birds are very brave and courageoius. They do not let their disability interrupt their life. I have a nine year old budgie, that became blind about 1 1/2 years ago. He navigates his cage fine, can find his seed and water cup, and even plays with his mirror girlfriends that he has had since I got him.

We will welcome your updates anytime.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have to ask if you have rough sandy perches the cage? This is just something I never have seen before and it really might be something a vet has to take a look at. They might actually know what it is and can give you the proper meds to take care of it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Ngo
    Thanks

Yes, if he was not in the best care, or a cage that was not the best, it could be due to improper care. I suggest that for now, unless you see other evidence of illness, I would not subject him to a stressful trip to a vet. Once he gets to eating a good diet, those feet may improve. If, as time goes by, his leg does seem to be crippled, do not worry. Special needs birds are very brave and courageoius. They do not let their disability interrupt their life. I have a nine year old budgie, that became blind about 1 1/2 years ago. He navigates his cage fine, can find his seed and water cup, and even plays with his mirror girlfriends that he has had since I got him.

We will welcome your updates anytime.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I have to ask if you have rough sandy perches the cage? This is just something I never have seen before and it really might be something a vet has to take a look at. They might actually know what it is and can give you the proper meds to take care of it.
    No it is the wood ones but the cages I got him from does not even have an perches. It was all just cages with a bunch of birds all together and they were just kind of stayed at the bottom of the cages.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

If he had to live in a cage with no perches, then, no doubt his feet were not protected, and I imagine that is why his feet have those bumps. I suggest feeding him an excellent diet, and see how he gets around his cage in the next few weeks. I am sure with your care, and the diet, he will thrive. Also, if you are not feeding pellets, but seeds only, then get a bottle of bird vitamins at the pet store, and about every 10 days, I suggest putting a few drops in the seed cup mixed with his seeds. That will help him to gain immunity, and just might heal those feet. The poor little bird must have very sore feet. Do not put vitamins in the water cup with water, because they can go rancid very fast and make him sick.

We will! watch for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kevin Ngo
    Thanks

I will pick up a bottle of Vitamins first thing tomorrow! haha

Remove Ads