Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bringing my budgie for a nail trim

Thanks

Bringing my budgie for a nail trim

Hi, Iím planning to bring one of my budgie for a nail trim as one of his toenails are so long itís bent and itís affecting his stability. Since the other budgie is not tamed yet, I can not bring both of them so they can accompany each other. Will my budgie be fine alone at home without his buddy? He is very attached to my budgie and sits closely to watch him everyday. Thank you in advance!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Bringing my budgie for a nail trim

I think he will be OK. Play some soft music on a CD or radio, and also, play Seasame Street on TV. My birds love all of these. Please update when you get back home!

Thanks

i am bringing him for a nail trim this wednesday will be playing soft music and putting some millets in my other budgieís cage and hoping he will not be that lonely. feeling a little worried for my other budgie which i think is normal for any pet owner
    will update when he gets home. thanks for your advice everytime.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

We will watch for your update. I think everything will be OK with the one who is staying home. I admire you for taking the one for the nail trim. They really have a problem getting around when the nails are long, and twisted.

Thanks

Just brought him for a nail trim. He was really stressed and flew around the vet room before the vet caught him. She is an avian certified vet but I was not impressed with how she handled Birdy. She talked loudly and held his cage up quickly to her face to talk to him which seemed to stress him out more. His toe also bled a little as the vet cut a little too much. Hopefully Birdy will feel better at home once i give him some millets and time to rest. Will be buying more natural perches and going to another vet in the future. I felt really sad watching Birdy struggling in his burrito.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! I am so sorry for Birdy!! You know, I read about this happening quite often, with toenails and wing clips. You would think in an avian vet office, there would be top notch techs and personnel,who are kind and gentle!!! Ugh

I think it will take a few days for him to recover, from this totally terrible experience. Birds do not forget any bad things that happen to them in their lives. I agree with you. Find another vet. Perhaps you will happen onto a bird owner who knows and has used a qualified and KIND nail tech.

On another note, never have wing feathers clipped either, UNLESS, you know someone who has a reputable and KIND tech who knows what they are doing. Wing clipping can end up to be a nightmare, and can not only debilitate the bird, could also result in feathers not growing back, and totally traumatizing the bird.

Please provide updates. Sending scritches to Birdy, and hugs to you!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry the vet wasnt sweet and kind to your little one. I read stories like yours and it just makes me sad that avian vets are like this because they should have learned in school how to handle the birds. Granted birds are usually stressed out when they go to the vets but a sweet calm vet should be able to not stress them out so much like your vet did to your sweet budgie. His toe that bled will be sore for a few days and he might even tuck it up for a little bit and stand on one foot but it will get better. I know my daughter who seems to have a special touch with birds has always been able to hold onto our birds here and just use a emery board and file the tip of the toenail down a bit. She even can snip the end off with baby nail clippers but as long as your file the nails every now and then that should keep them trimmed, along with natural perches. Just dont hold them in your hands too long because they do get hot fast when your holding them into your hand. My daughter even trims my sisters big Amazons nails but using the clippers to snip the tip off and then filing it with a emery board. Mangos nails will hurt your hand when they are even a little sharp and the emery board makes them smooth so we can hold him. He also is somewhat calm with her holding him so that makes it way easier.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Thankfully, Birdy was back to his usual playful self after some scritches and kisses. I donít think i would ever have the confidence to try holding them again as Birdy was really stressed out when i tried for the first time, and even with a towel, I still wasnít able to hold him. Hopefully with natural perches, his nails would not grow as fast as before so i can avoid stressing him out as much
    I was surprised that Happy was singing and chirping to the music by himself and was not as lonely as i thought he would be since he is very attached to Birdy.
    The vet also mentioned that he might be exterting more pressure on one foot than the other, which might be because of his fracture when he was young. Hopefully that will not cause any problems to him in the future
    Will be trying another avian vet in the future, was shocked when the vet said she was going to calm him down and proceeded to hug him while he was struggling in the towel.
    Thank you for all of your replies as always

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! I am so happy they are back together. And it was great Happy got along well while you and Birdy were gone. I love their names, because when I really think of birds, they are "happy birds" most all the time!! Please update whenever you wish to do so!
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-07-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Remove Ads