Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby died

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Baby died

I have a mature pair that laid 4 eggs, three of which hatched. They seemed to be very attentive parents and all three developed normally until today the oldest one (4wks) died. I could find nothing wrong, he was plump and had some food in the crop but not packed, the other two seem about the same in nourishment. Am I supposed to feed a different diet than seeds? It seemed fine until now. They won't eat vegies. Both parents are now feeding the young. I'm worried about the other 2 now. I have been feeding a parakeet finch mix, plus adding some steel cut oats.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Baby died

Come on folks, I need some ideas fast please.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

I am so sorry your first baby has died. Usually, by the time they are 4 weeks old that does not happen. Have you seen any aggression by the parents toward the babies? Is there any possibility that the baby got smothered, or stepped on, or picked on by the parent or parents?

Are they still in the box with parents, or do they stay out on the perches all the time? I would check the pet shop to see if they have parakeet seed only, and not Finch seed. I am not saying you should have not fed the finch seed. I have always fed budgie seed only. I would discontinue the steel oats for now as well. Get some millet sprigs at the pet shop, take a small piece off the sprig, and take a few of those tiny seeds and feed instead of the other two you were feeding to the babies. I think they are a little young as yet to be having the bigger size seeds. What seeds or foods do the parents eat?

Are they in a budgie nest box, or what type of nest do they have?
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-16-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ellen thanks for the response. They are in a nest box on the side of a large 54" cage. The chick that died was the oldest one and showed no sign of abuse. He was dead in the morning and had very few seeds in his crop. An autopsy showed 6 seeds in the crop and a few in the gizzard. There was no throat or trachea obstruction and the liver appeared normal and he had a nice layer of belly fat. All in all I couldn't see anything that would suggest trouble. The day before he had been standing in the door of the box like he intended to leave soon. My immediate concern is for the 2 siblings, I tried hand feeding them today but they weren't interested. I have switched to parakeet seed only today, although the other seed seemed fine for a month. The parents do have a millet sprig available.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Is there any chance he could have fallen off that door of the box? Did you see any evidence of injury on his body? I hope it was not a bacterial infection, because that could pass to the other babies.

I would suggest you getting a can of baby bird formula powder at the pet shop, and feed the other two about twice a day. The directions will be on the can. Get a plastic syringe as well. Feed morning, and late afternoon. Be sure to not overfeed, and take plenty of time to feed them. This formula has lots of vitamins in it, and they will help build immunity against illness. Go to YouTube and search handfeeding baby budgies or parakeets if you have not handfed before.

Fly high and free sweet budgie! Over the rainbow bridge. I am so sorry you lost the baby! We will watch for updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-17-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have been out of town and just seen your post and wanted to say I am sorry you lost your baby. It must be so sad seeing this sweet innocent baby dead after being so healthy. I do hope your other two will be just fine and I think Ellen gave you some great advice about handing feeding the others with some baby formula just to make sure they are getting enough food.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jehri
    Thanks

Sorry for your loss. I wish you the best with the rest of your babies. There may have been something genetic underlying that was not your fault with the other baby new chicks are hard.

Remove Ads