where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Few Question regarding feeding situation with Baby Budgies

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Smile Few Question regarding feeding situation with Baby Budgies

Hello!

I am new to budgie breeding (I have educated myself by looking up information regarding baby budgies and watch a few videos). As the title states I have a few question(s) regarding feeding situation with baby Budgies. This would be the second clutch that my pair had have (their first clutch of eggs weren't fertilized and was laid August 2018 with a total of four eggs). I currently have a total of five baby budgies hatched (they had a total of 7 eggs and the other two eggs have two days left to hatch). The first budgie that was born is almost a week old (hatched October 10, 2019). Both of my budgies Bandit and Rose (Bandit- Male Rose- Female) is taking good care of them!

My question is will my budgie wean the babies off naturally or do I have to assist? I am aware that they don't start weaning off until 2-3 weeks old (depending on preferences of course) but I just want to be prepared. Also is there anything I should do besides cleaning their nest and checking to make sure the babies are healthy? I do check on the babies in the morning and afternoon to make sure their crops are full with food and that they don't have any food on their tiny beaks or poop on their little feet. During the time I check on the baby budgies I do also clean any mess that may be in the nest. Do I have to give the baby budgies any form of water or does the parents give them water? And if I do when do I start giving them water?

If you have any extra tips or advice for me feel free to mention it, any information will be helpful!
    Thank you,

Hana (ChickenHawk)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Few Question regarding feeding situation with Baby Budgies

I have some of the same questions. My chicks are 4 weeks old but have not left the nest box. The parents still feed them but I'm not sure they get enough especially water. Should I take them out and put them on the floor of the cage with access to food and water? Will the parents still feed them?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Hi, and welcome to both of you. And congrats on the new babies.

When the eggs hatch, the male will immediately eat seeds. Then, he goes into the nest box, and feeds the female, by regurgitating the seeds he has eaten. Then the mom feeds the babies. Since one of you has a lot of eggs in the clutch, and hopefully the two remaining eggs hatch, the dad will also help with the feeding of the babies. The regurgitated seeds that are fed, have special enzymes in them, from the dad and mom. I compare it to a human mothers breast milk, in that both of them are very pure, and have special nutrients in them. Baby birds do not need water, until such time they can crawl out of the nest box, and begin to perch, and then, you can begin giving them a few seeds and some pure water. I always give my birds pure bottled water rather than tap water, because of added chemicals placed in most city tap water.

Some parents will be fine with you cleaning the box, and handling the babies. But others will not like it at all. When we disturb the nest in any way, we run the risk of one or both parents abandoning the babies. For you with all the babies, it is good that the parents continue to take care of them, even when you are keeping them clean, etc. Do not give the babies any water right now. Their food from the parents is sufficient.

Several years ago I had a pair that hatched four babies. At the time, I was not expecting to ever breed, but one morning I found an egg, on the cage floor, so I got a wooden nest box, and put it in the cage. I too, researched the web for info. I did not interact with the babies nor the parents at all, other than to look into the nest box to be sure babies were fine. I will always remermber the afternoon, I saw this precious little light yellow colored budgie head looking out the hole in the nest box. I was soooo excited. A couple days later, that baby crawled out of the nest box. I think he was about 3-4 weeks old by then. And soon, one by one, the other three crawled out of the box. All perched when they came out, and I immediately put extra water cups in the cage, and seed cups as well.

The parents will allow them out of the box for a very short time, at first, and then take them back into the box. They will always continue to feed them. As they get older, they will spend more time out of box each day, but parents will continue to feed them in the box, and always keep them in the box at night. I recall it was at about the age of 6-8 weeks, when the babies fledged and could fly, that they were allowed to stay out of cage both day and night. I would say at about 9-12 weeks of age, the babies will be on their own completely.

Once that happens, you want to remove the nest box asap, because birds are always focused on mating and eggs, and babies, and your pair need a break from mating and laying eggs right away, so that the hen can replace the calcium which was depleted from her body laying eggs.

Provide plenty of cuttlebone for mom and dad now, and also fresh leaf lettuce, and some small pieces of whole wheat bread, and some fresh chopped apples. The babies can be introduced to these foods as well when they have fledged. A good seed mix along with these foods, is a good diet. If you choose to feed pellets, I recommend a mix of 20% pellet and 80% good seed mix.

Time and patience are on your side. We will welcome updates. And any questions you may have. Have fun on your journey with the babies and parents. I have homed budgies for many years, and I love them....and all birds!! They are awesome pets!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-16-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Words can't describe how helpful you have been Maxollie (Ellen)!! Thank you so much for your response Maxollie (Ellen) it enlighten me!

Gladly my budgies are okay with me cleaning their nest as long as I give them some food to eat.
    Yes! Both of my budgies regular diet consist of seed, veggies, fruit, and some grain. And they do have two cuttlebone.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

You are very welcome, Hana. We will watch for updates! I know how exciting you feel, and happy I could be of help. Your budgies have a great diet! I will be looking for updates on their progress. No matter how many babies you have, you will love everyone of them! Nature is marvelous, and teaches us many lessons about precious birds. Good luck!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-16-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Remove Ads