Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Could male raise clutch on his own? Or what should we do?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Could male raise clutch on his own? Or what should we do?

My daughter is having an issue with her cockatiels and I'm not having much success in finding info online. Her female laid 7 eggs, 5 of which hatched. The oldest is 11 days today and the youngest one left is 8 days old today. We found the 5th baby (a week old) dead this morning. After observing, she found the male being pretty rough with the rest of the chicks (even drew a little blood on the wing of one) so we think it's possible that he's the one who killed the baby. We removed him from the cage until we could try to figure something out. After looking over the babies, all but one seemed to have really low crops. We took them out and tried to hand feed, but they wouldn't accept a feeding from us so we put them back in with the hen to see if she would feed them. After waiting for some time, we looked at them again and their crops didn't really look any fuller so we ended up taking her out and putting him back in. He's been feeding them and we haven't seen any more aggression so that's good. We're still not sure what to do long term though. We're almost afraid to have both parents in there at the same time. We'd like to keep them with the parents versus pulling them to hand feed full time at this point, if that's possible. What would those with more experience suggest we do in this situation? As of now, the female is still in a separate cage and the male has been on his own with them since about 11:30CT today.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Re: Could male raise clutch on his own? Or what should we do?

Not good at all. You need answers from places that really know about situations such as this. I am sorry, I do not have the correct answer. But ask around, you need help with this quickly. Best of Luck.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

I would suggest you call an avian vet, and or a bird rescue or bird hospital in your area, and see what they suggest. Sadly, on occasion, a parent gets aggressive with the babies, and often times it will happen more than once.

I suggest you read all about handfeeding, on line, and also go to YouTube and see videos of hand feeding. Get a can of baby bird formula at the pet shop, and be ready to feed the babies. If it were me, I would be afraid the dad will do this again during the nighttime, when no one is watching him.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

He did fine with them all day yesterday. We switched them around again last night so she was with them all night. However, the smallest baby was being overlooked so my daughter was up around the clock handfeeding that one.

As of today....we did the switch again this morning to give the hen a break, but he started being rough with them again and bit a piece of skin off the head of one of the larger babies. He's been permanently banned from this point. It was also obvious that the female isn't adequately able to care for all of them on her own. That's left us hand feeding all four for most of the day. We're looking at it right now as supplementing to help her out as we have been feeding some and then putting them back with her. She's still feeding them, just not filling the crops and it doesn't look like she's doing anything for the littlest one. My hope is that we can help it gain enough strength and size that it'll hold it's own with the big ones and she'll notice it enough to start offering it food along with the others.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. This is our first time with cockatiel babies so we're learning as we go with online support and videos!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

You made the right decision. Handfeeding is not too difficult. The videos and info help a lot in learning. Please update when possible. This behavior does happen on occasion, but the baby bird formula is a great savior in saving the babies. We will watch for updates.

You will love these babies so much, and handling them, will create a special bond with them. After they fledge, and can perch, and if they survive, then, I suggest you put them in their own cage, because I am afraid the dad and mom will not treat them kindly. And, once they are out of the nest, take the nest box out of parents cage. That may help somewhat from the pair having another clutch of eggs right away, but with this pair, that is doubtful. So, since that is likely to happen, get some dummy cockatiel eggs at the pet shop, and the next time hen lays an egg, replace it with a dummy egg, and do the same for all eggs laid. But do not give them the nest box. Place the dummy eggs in the corner of the bottom of the cage, and let hen nest that way, for about 25 days, or until she no longer pays attention to the eggs. That way, you will not have this worry.

It is best for a pair like this to not deal with babies. Right now, they are too immature. Maybe in a year or so they could handle another clutch of real eggs, but not now, for sure. Quite honestly, this behavior is about Nature, and procreation of all living creatures. And, I think the male just wants to get back to mating again. This is very common in pairs, but most have patience to care for the babies, until they are fledged, can perch, eat seeds, drink water, etc.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-22-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Remove Ads