Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: In need of Urgent help ASAP regarding Budgie foot bleeding.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Exclamation In need of Urgent help ASAP regarding Budgie foot bleeding.

Okay, so long story short I left my male budgie alone in his cage for roughly 2 hours. I came back to check on all the budgies (My pair of budgies had recently had babies) and discover something on the wooden perch in his cage. I took a closer inspection and realized it was blood! The only budgie in the cage is him due to the female being aggressive towards him from their babies (she did not cause this injury seeing as though she was busy caring for the budgie and has no access to the male). I inspected his body and only found blood on his left foot. He has two cuts, one almost center of his foot and the other one is on the middle of one of his toes. I cleaned his foot with a non-scented baby wipe and applied flour, only probably is that the flour wouldn't stick and whatever remains was left he would quickly shake it off. I live in an extremely small village which the vets here only take care of dogs and cat (no other animals- any other animal is classified as 'exotic'). The nearest place that would agree to "have a look at him" (and not just say they can assist on euthanizing him!) was roughly 5 hours away and they said they can't be certain that they can even help. I know my friends (they own 4 parrots) had suggest using petroleum jelly in order to stop the bleeding but I don't know if it is safe for birds to use... Anything that you think might work will be helpful! Thank you!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: In need of Urgent help ASAP regarding Budgie foot bleeding.

I would suggest not using the baby wipe, because of the ingredients. I do think a tiny bit of the petroleum jelly will work. You also can try corn starch if the bleeding starts again. Or, a septis stick that men use for stopping bleeding from a razor cut would work.

Do you have a cuttlebone in the cage with a metal holder? If so, remove the metal holder. Years ago, I had a cockatiel cut his feet on the metal holder. You can crush the cuttlebone, and mix it with his seed cup, and also, there are plastic holders you can buy at the petshop. He could have cut his feet that way.

Are their any toys in the cage with metal on them, that he could cut his feet? Watch for the bleeding to start again, and if it does, use suggestions above.

I would use the petroleum jelly a couple of times a day for awhile. Just do not use much, because if it gets into his feathers it will be very difficult to get out of them. I think his toe and foot will heal. Please post updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-21-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Thank you so much for replying as quick as possible! Okay, noted don't use baby wipes. Is there something besides just water that I could sterilize it? Could I possibly use witch hazel while cleaning his foot? It might've been from the cuttlebone with the metal holder because there isn't anything else that could've done the injury. Would you suggest I use a plastic or wooden perch still? The only toys that had metal on it was ones that require the big clips to hold from the bar of the cage, other then that the rest has the plastic screw on caps.
    Thank you again for your response Ellen! You've been a big help!!

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

Thank you for replying as quick as possible! He had stop bleeding yesterday after three hours. I had cleaned his little foot using witch hazel (which didn't hurt or seem to bother him) and waited until his foot dried before applying petroleum jelly. He seems to be doing fine, besides throwing a tantrum for being locked in a cage (I usually allow both of my birds to free fly through my room).

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! That is great news! He will soon be able to fly with his friend. Thanks for the update! Personally, I like wooden perches better, because they conture better to the feet. And, also, if you google wooden perches for budgies cages, you will notice they are about 3/8 ths to 1\2 inch circumference and you need to have one that will not deform the feet. Bigger ones do not work. I like wood because it is natural wood, like all wild birds use in trees. It is like us when we get shoes!!!! We have to have the proper shoes! Also, you will notice their toe nails grow really fast. And they will start curling, if not clipped, and the birds will have problems navigating the cage. I think you could get a special pair of nail clippers at the petshop, specifically for budgies. But cutting their nails is tricky, because they can bleed very easy. So, perhaps you could call an avian vet in the area, and a nail tech could cut them.

I think the witch hazel was a great idea, because the foot being so small, you did not have to use very much. As to the baby wipes, they may have been fine too, but I was concerned of the ingredients in them, because no doubt he would be picking on the foot, and I did not want him to ingest some chermical that was in the wipe.

Please stop by often and update us. These things do happen on occasion. You handled the situation great!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 10-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Name
    Hana
    Thanks

I agree, I like wooden perches more then other materials (though they can be quite a pain to clean sometimes)! I would imagine smaller/larger size of shoes wouldn't exactly feel good. I know, I constantly keep a close eye on their nails and beak to make sure they don't overgrow. Tell me about it! Clipping their nails can be quite a challenge because they're super small and fragile.. Though I will admit, having other sort of animals (dogs, cats, and reptile) did train me to be able to cut their little nails . Gladly I kept a pair of clippers ( I sterilize them after every use) I used for my baby bearded dragon- perfect size for the budgies!

Yes, I used a cotton swab (q-tip) to apply both the witch hazel and petroleum jelly- very helpful if I may add. I completely understand, gladly he didn't really bother his foot. I think he was to busy trying to find a way to escape the cage to worry about what I had done to his foot.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I use a mix of water and vinegar to clean my wooden perches. You are totally correct they can get quite dirty. I do a thorough cleaning of the cages about once a month, and I take the perches, and a plastic bucket to wash them, and then rinse them. I add a small amount of dawn dish soap, apple cider vinegar, and warm water to the bucket, and take a new kitchen sponge that has a rough side and smooth side, and wash them in the bucket. Then I rinse them well with hot water.

Every day, I take a spritz bottle that has a mix of the vinegar and water, and a piece of paper towel, and clean the poop off the perches as well. They sure can poop a lot!!! Lolololol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am so happy to ready that you stopped the bleeding and he is now doing fine. Ellen is such a smart girl telling you to use witch hazel to clean it because it seems to be lots safer then other things you could use. My daughter used flour on a wing feather that broke on Tikki once but I do hear corn starch is much better to use. It is so scary to see them bleed or even hurt because us humans just seem to panic and do not know what to do. Tikki broke a blood feather once way down towards the end of the shaft next to his skin and we rushed to his vet which is almost a hour away for them to pull it out. The corn starch did stop the bleeding thankfully or that hour drive could have been fatal to little Tikki. But I certainly know the panic and fear when you see your loved bird bleeding. Its awful and I am happy you were able to stop the bleeding. Cuttlebone hooks are a reason for many birds getting hurt and sadly killed. I use to just stick our cuttlebone through the cage bars itself and the bars held it in place. It looked silly but it least we didnt need to worry about Boomer getting hurt.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads